Whole 30 cowgirl style

I just completed a successful Whole 30 last Wednesday and after a couple days "off" I began another one on Saturday. I was very happy with my results but I'm looking to feel even more fantastic!

I am a mom of three turning fifty in August. I live in the redwood forest of California, Santa Cruz mountains to be exact. We have a small ranch on eighteen acres with horses and other animals. We are just miles from the ocean, which we can see from our road. Our ranch is off the grid and we run solely on solar, propane, and a wood burning stove.

I am 5' 10" tall and as of last week weighed 161. I am guilty of having a goal weight... I want to be 150 by my birthday on the 17th of August. I lost eight pounds on my first round with very little formal exercise, though I do already have a pretty active lifestyle. Losing weight is not the main reason for this second Whole 30 though. I just love how eating this way makes me feel. Glowy, happy, comfy in my skin. Good food makes my cells hum. My clothes fit great and my confidence soars.

I spent the weekend at a two day horse show and came well prepared. I ate homemade beef sausage, turkey and salami, avocado, red pepper, carrots and broccoli, grapes and strawberries. I drank lots of water and a couple cups of coffee each day.

Yesterday I ate

two amazing egg muffins (ham, kale, green onion, tomato and egg) and strawberries

sausage patty, red pepper, snap peas, hazelnuts, and strawberries

green tea

ground turkey and kale hash with pico de gallo

Goals for this go round are to eat on a more regular schedule, less snacking, and eliminate noncompliant meat. I am a kindergarten teacher during the rest of the year so my schedule is a little more relaxed but I found last time I needed to eat more, earlier in the day. Here we go.... Yeee hah!

Today I ate

Leftover turkey and kale hash with an egg cooked in, grapes

Cold shrimp and broccoli with mayo (all out...time to make more!), apricots, hazelnuts

Huge salad with tons of raw veggies plus sunflower seeds and tahini lemon dressing; baked yam, coffee

Went out to dinner at an organic vegetarian restaurant, so no protein with dinner which was ok with me, felt nice to take a break from the meat. Yam filled me up and I am feeling great!

Rode my horse for 1 1/2 hour, plus loaded and stacked hay in the afternoon.

Today I ate

Leftover salad (cabbage, greens, shredded beet and carrot, sunflower seeds, cherry tomatos) with sliced roast beef and chopped apricots; vinagraite.

Hazelnuts, roast beef red pepper and cucumber dipped in mayo, coffee

Roast lamb dipped in Dijon, olives, red pepper and cucumber.

A little repetitive but very yummy. Made my bulletproof mayo for the week. Rode my horse 11/2 hours and did various chores. I probably had four small apricots over the course of the day, I had been craving them... soooo delish. Packed meal 2 in a cooler bag and ate it at Starbucks while dd had a Frapp!

Today I ate

two awesome egg muffins, cucumber, red pepper

Roast beef dipped in mayo, green beans in vinagraite, cherry tomatos, kalamata olives, strawberries, apricots, cherries, coffee

Roast lamb and baby squash sauteed in bacon grease with garlic and fresh basil

A great day! I feel happy and buzzy on great food. I ate a LOT of fruit today after hitting the farmers market. It's only once a year I get fresh super local organic fruit like I did today! The strawberries were SO ripe I put them in the fridge.... cherries and apricots are room temp for now. I made the lamb and squash to take to Cowboy Church... there's usually not a lot for me to eat. Someone mentioned how "healthy" we were eating lol... There is a gluten free dessert most times, perhaps that can be a special thing to look forward to post W30.

Rode my horse 11/2 hours, did barn chores.

Yesterday I ate

last of the turkey hash, last egg muffin, steamed sweet potato with mayo, marinated green beans, cherry tomatos, cherries, coffee

more cherries and hazelnuts

grilled grass fed round steak, zucchini and onion salad, strawberries, sparkling water

My meals are starting and therefore finishing later. I'm still working on getting them timed a little better. Seems like I am a lot less hungry on this round. Attended a big concert party last night; avoided chips, crackers, supermarket desserts, keg of pale ale. Brought my own meat to grill and ate a lovely salad of shaved zucchini, shallots, vinegar and sesame oil. Enjoyed a chat with the woman who brought it. All the bagged food just looked gross.

Rode my horse 1 1/2 hours.

I want to come live with you! Your ranch sounds lovely along with the off the grid part and the ability to see the ocean.

All the best with your second W30. I left a couple of months between mine. I kind of like the idea of cleaning up my act with the start of each season.

Cheers,

S57

Yesterday was a funky day? Started out headaches and then later felt nauseous/not good. Skipped riding to lay in bed... Took a three hour nap, watched a couple movies then fell asleep until morning. Very unusual for me!

Before I lost interest in food I had

Two eggs fried, marinated green beans, cherry tomatos, avocado, apricots

Later in bed (much later!) I finished off the bag of apricots and had a banana. Nothing else sounded good except the sweet potato I knew I had in the fridge but felt too weak to warm it up. Two big bottles of sparkling spring water.

This morning I am up and aside from a tiny headache feel way better, though my body feels stiff and sore. I must get motivated to do Yoga (something I used to do daily). I will continue to drink lots of water... I want to make a flavored water with a watermelon I have on hand.

As I sit here typing this I can hear woodpeckers dueling in the trees for who can knock the loudest, haha! It is absolutely gorgeous here on my deck looking out into the forest. Fresh air and birds, and the dogs are so happy I am home with them! I LOVE having summers off.

Today I woke up with a tiny headache but generally feeling much better. I drank lots of water but still didn't eat until a few hours after waking up.

Teriyaki chicken tenders (made a lot), last of the marinated green beans, rest of the steamed sweet potato with mayo, coffee

Handful of hazelnuts

Roasted broccoli with mayo, four scrambled eggs with hot sauce and half an avocado (too much food)

Not feeling nearly as hungry as my last W30. Brought along a coconut water for after riding but didn't really want it. Could it be my cravings are subsiding? I saw an awesome looking recipe for chocolate cake that includes avocado... already thinking about my splurge after July 15.

Pushed myself to hike today and was really glad. Hiked a hilly five miles in about an hour and a half. Then out to the barn to ride my horse for an hour. Beautiful weather, feeling happy and peaceful.

Yesterday I ate

leftover roast broccoli with last of the mayo, sweet potato, couple chicken tenders, rest of the egg and avocado from last night

strawberries, almonds, coconut water

three Applegate hot dogs, sweet potato, a good sized zucchini sliced and steamed topped with ghee

My meals started late again, so meal two was really more of a snack. I am sleeping incredibly well, solid as a rock. My digestion has been a little funky since I was sick on Sunday.

Hiked for an hour and a half, rode my horse two hours.

Today I ate

Roast beef dipped in mustard, cucumbers, red pepper, avocado

Chicken, almonds and strawberries

Watermelon infused water

Well today I just did not eat very much! But still have tons of energy, did extra chores around the ranch and rode my horse two hours. Looking at my short list alarms me a little... it is really not like me not to want to keep chewing all the time.... I believe some old bad habits (like eating while I drive, play on my iPad or watch TV) may be disappearing. I do want to make an effort to begin eating earlier in the day however so my last mealtime doesn't end up being 10 00 and I just go to bed instead (which is what happened today lol)

Haven't posted in a while, life got in the way! Just got back from a long weekend horse show. I won High Point!! Very happy and feeling energetic.

At horse shows it is not uncommon that I forget to eat! But I do come prepared. I cannot list each meal by day, but here is an overall idea of what I ate the last three days:

chicken, bacon, cherries, watermelon, avocado, salmon, celery, cucumber, salami, beef burger, lettuce, tomatos, strawberries, blueberries and at Cowboy Church I had a sliver of gluten free bread just to be polite (it was meh). Drank TONS of water all weekend, sparkling and flat.... just kept filling and refilling my Venti cup with ice and water. Also a coconut water yesterday, my big treat! lol. All meat was compliant.

Pretty much never stopped moving all weekend! Chores, riding, running around and more riding. My idea of heaven :). Watched in amazement as other people consumed things like red licorice whips, bagged chips, huge muffins, rice Krispy treats (!) candy and soda. One little girl told me a little proudly that she never drank soda... but then proceeded to guzzle a blue Gatorade along with her pizza Lunchable. The only thing that tugged my heart was the s'mores around the fire on Saturday night! May have to sneak one in before the summer is over. I bet it won't taste as good as it sounds tho ;)

Yesterday I ate

steamed sweet potato, chicken, grapes

jerky, trail mix (pecan almonds walnuts dried blueberries)

steak, zucchini sauteed with garlic, orange pepper and cherry tomatos, coconut water

Felt much better consuming the sweet potato for increased carbs! Slept great and woke up refreshed. Rode my horse for an hour.

Yesterday I ate

hamburger broccoli slaw hash, leftover zucchini sautee, avocado

Hb eggs, jerky, blueberry trail mix, orange peppers, cucumber, strawberries, cherries, cherry tomatos, sparkling water

Still coasting on two meals a day. Yesterday I grazed all afternoon and into the evening at the pool. Had some cravings later for the first time... Actually had a spoonful of peanut butter with a few chocolate chips :$ that is proof I need to tighten up the ship. Walking a dangerous line there. This is my halfway point don't want to blow it now.

Today I ate

Hamburger/broccoli slaw hash, steamed sweet potato with mayo

Hb egg, cucumber, red pepper, last of the trail mix, jerky, cherry tomatos, coconut water

2 large compliant hotdogs

Black iced tea

Made some awesome egg muffins so I have a hearty breakfast for the upcoming two day horse show. Made banana bread for the family.... Licked the bowl, a definite breech of compliance. Will do better tomorrow.

Rode my horse one hour.

Archived