Well Beyond Kill all Things

moodswingsmcgee

I am on Day 17 of my first Whole30.  I am >THIS CLOSE< to giving up.

I have had benefits, to be sure.  I started this to get over my dependency on carbs such as pasta (when I was stressed before I could go through an obscene amount of pasta), rather than weight loss or determining food sensitivities.  So far, I have had more energy during the day, have been snacking less, and have learned that the world does not revolve around pasta and bread.

But most days those benefits don't feel worth it.

I have been on birth control for 14 years for period control more than anything (I am 27.  Clearly I've had period issues for a long time...).  I started my last period at the very end of May and was done by probably June 2 or 3.  On June 8, I started spotting.  It didn't seem unusual - breakthrough bleeding on BCP is par for the course.  But it is now June 17.  I am to the point of needing super tampons.  I am incredibly uncomfortable not to mention frustrated, sad, and moody as all getout.  I have had menstrual problems since I was in middle school and THIS was not something I bargained for.  Along with that I am having uncomfortable trips to the restroom.  Most of my stools are still not solid, almost every day.

I realize I might be doing things wrong.  I'm not eating 100% organic and cage-free/pastured/best quality available.  I simply can't afford it.  There is probably sugar in my bacon or other things I'm simply not aware of.  But I have tried my damndest, trust me on that.  My roommates and friends are impressed at my efforts, saying they couldn't make it 30 days.  I miss wine so much I could cry, but I'm still doing it.

At this point I am not sure that my intense level of discomfort is worth my completing this.  I *want* to finish because I feel like I never finish anything, that I am constantly making up excuses to quit and rationalize like nobody's business.  But you guys...

I.

AM.

MISERABLE.

*hugs* Sorry to hear of the menstrual cycle struggles, if there were pre-existing problems falling back into the standard diet won't help. My suggestion would be to go to your doctor, maybe there is something else going on? 

Like you, I am not eating all grass fed organic products, but I'm making the best choices I can given my budget and seasonal options. Hang in there. 13 days left to go! You are worth this! You can do this! Don't qive up on you! 

Sending lots of positivity and support your way. I hope an advanced member finds this post and can offer some additional words of wisdom. 

Yesterday:

Breakfast: 3 eggs, because that's how many fit in my hand.

Lunch: (Didn't have time to make lunch Sunday night - I try really hard to bring my lunch)

BoLoCo (local Boston burrito place): Bowl with baby kale, white meat chicken, bacon, tomatoes, guac, medium salsa.

Dinner: chicken cooked in clarified butter.  Zucchini cooked in same butter with onions, garlic, and procuitto.

Today:

Breakfast: 3 eggs.

Snack: raw broccoli with guac (BoLoCo gave me random bonus guac)

Lunch: baked chicken from home, with more zucchini (both with garlic and some evoo)

Dinner: not sure yet.  probably asparagus and shrimp.

I try pretty hard to have a lot of veg at my meals.  I have made zoodles a couple of times and friggin' love them.  I might be eating more fruit than I should, but I love fruit and it's summer time and I personally don't think I've really had that much of a sugar dragon, even before this.  I had minimal sugar in coffee, don't like soda much at all, and would limit my sweets intake.  I had a pasta dragon. (since starting this, I might have developed a bit of a guacamole dragon.  But I think there are worse things...right?)

I am not perfect, I know that.  I kept compliant on Sunday but just ate too much volume.  A couple weeks ago I had 80/20 ground beef because that's what was on sale and I think I might be having too much fat some days, but I try.  I really do.

3 eggs for breakfast? I'd try to add some good veggies to that, maybe make an omelette with peppers, onions, mushrooms, spinach. Or even a nice spinach salad or home made slaw with cabbage. Protein is good, but you'll want to have some veggies to compliment and of course some fat. 

Eat more veggies, especially carb dense veggies. I would add a whole sweet potato daily (or other squash), especially during your period. That would be a good addition to your M1 that is currently lacking in veggies. Hope you feel better soon.

Aww, sorry you're having such a hard time! I just posted too that I am feeling like caving in, I'm also on Day 17. I like the program very much, but today, I don't feel like cooking and really want some yogurt.

I am sorry you're having troubles with your cycle. Have you thought about trying a Naturopath? I have one here in Southern California who I absolutely love. My insurance doesn't cover her, but she is so worth the benefits! I also go to a chiropractor for everything, also not covered, but again so worth better health than what an MD does.

Agree with the above posts to have more at breakfast. Do you have a copy of the recommended meal template? Take it one meal at a time, and design all your meals to follow this template of protein, veg and fat, for best results. 

Another shout out for carb dense vegetables, daily. That may help you feel better, especially with your menstrual challenges.

Re: Boloco - before you eat there again on your Whole30, I suggest calling them to check on some ingredients. Specifically, I highly doubt their bacon was compliant: I would bet that it contained sugar or a sweetener. It's hard to get compliant bacon in restaurants, particularly chains.  You'd also want to be sure their salsa was sugar free and their chicken didn't have any non-compliant seasonings, and that it was cooked in a compliant oil (I tried getting this information from their website, but they don't go to that level of detail.)

Re: not eating 100% organic and cage-free/pastured/best quality available, do the best you can with your budget. Here is an article that may help you. http://whole9life.com/2011/01/paleo-poor-your-guide-to-the-grocery-store/

Most of all, be kind and gentle to yourself as you go through this process. Remind yourself why you took this on, and use that to motivate you to finish.  I hope you stick with it!

Archived