Feeling Ravenous

nenaconeja

Hi, I am new to the Whole 30 plan.  I have stopped and started it several times as each time I start I am so ravenous I can't take it.  Is it possible that I am a person that needs more starch?  I have been afraid to do so in case it will mess up my blood sugar.  For example, I eat ~3 eggs for breakfast with bacon, a handful of walnuts for snack, steak and veggies for lunch, and by 3 o'clock I feel like I need more food so badly and nothing is satisfying.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. I really want to be successful on this.  Thanks!

Wheres your veggies at breakfast?  Look in the book at the meal template.. Or where ever your gathering your "how to" information. 

You have to trust the program and not let past "diet" rules and ways get in the way of this way of eating. (its encouraged to eat starchy carbohydrate veggies) And the best part is we can slather Ghee all over them.

Its really not to hard. Whats hard is reversing our HABITS.. the habit of snacking here and there because the last diet phase that swooped the nation was all about feeding the furnace every 3 hours.. Well, if you build a well stoked fire it will burn for 4/5 hours.. And thats what were doing now eating "Whole 30" style. 

Definitely agree on the vegetables at breakfast - here's a link to the meal template.

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

That said, during the first week or so of my first Whole30, I was ravenous a lot. Your body is transitioning to burning fat for fuel from burning grains and sugar. Especially if you're used to eating a lot of grains (I was), that's going to take some time. If you're hungry, eat! But make sure you eat a mini-meal of protein and fat, not just nuts or fruit. Nuts are allowed in moderation, but aren't the best choice for a lot of people (if I eat too many, they mess up my digestion, and if you search the forums you'll see that I'm not the only one). Fruit alone doesn't keep you full and can feed the sugar dragon in a lot of people.

My best advice is

1) Be prepared when you start, with plenty of hard boiled eggs or other mini-meals as you need them, and eventually work your way to the recommended three meals a day.

2) Don't skimp on the fat at meals! It will help keep you full and satisfied.

3) Give your body time to transition. Quitting in the first week just means you get the sucky parts without the benefits!

Add vegetables to breakfast...eat more fat...eat some sweet potato at 1 or 2 meals...eat more than you think you need, and scale back as necessary. Eat 4 meals a day at first if you need to. You definitely should not be ravenous.

Listen to your body, it you are ravenous it is because you are not eating enough. You may have to test different things like eating more fat or more starchy veggies or just more. You will soon find out what works for you and then it will be easier. If you are hungry eat a mini meal instead of a snack. Good Luck!

Thanks for such quick replies! I guess I did not see that I was supposed to also eat vegetables at breakfast.  So perhaps I should just have at breakfast what I would consider a lunch- maybe chicken, sweet potato, and another vegetable?  I think the eggs/bacon thing for breakfast is just ingrained in me and I need to break that.

I still do eggs and meat (sausage, burger, whatever I have on hand) for breakfast, but I add a sweet potato hash with the potatoes, onion, bell pepper, and/or whatever veggies I need to use up. I love an over-easy egg over the sw potatoes, as the yolk runs down on the potatoes and is delicious.

So perhaps I should just have at breakfast what I would consider a lunch- maybe chicken, sweet potato, and another vegetable?  I think the eggs/bacon thing for breakfast is just ingrained in me and I need to break that.

Yep - breakfast is just meal one! Nothing inherently special about it - it should look the same (portion-wise) as lunch or dinner. I was so sick of eggs after two weeks of Whole30 that the best breakfast I had was flank steak, mayo and raw vegetables that I had left from the night before. :)

Archived