Living in Korea, need duck recipes!

Jessierose215

Welcome to Korea - my husband and I have been living in Seoul since the end of March. I don't have too much duck cooking knowledge since the only way I've eaten it is roasted. Do you have an oven at all? Or just a stovetop? You could cut it into pieces or spatchcock it (cut out the backbone so that the bird lays flat). I've also seen people with countertop ovens here but haven't bought one yet because I do have an oven...barely fits a 9x13 pan, but it's still an oven.

We've been living in Mokpo (southwestern corner) for 2 years now. We love it, and planning on staying a couple more years. We have a bigger sized toaster oven but I hate using it in the summer because of all the heat it puts off. It's been a huge adjustment this past year as we moved to a new place last August. The new place had half a kitchen as the one did last year, and the kitchens here are already small. You know how officetels can be. SO this past year we have eaten out WAY more than we should have. I am starting my Whole30 next week and it will be a big difference cooking so much. In the end though I know it will be better. 

Thanks for the thoughts on cooking the duck, MrsStick!

• 1 month later...

I guess we should change the topic to "the hardships of cooking in korea"! Hahaha!
My kitchen is ridiculous too, and buying good stuff is a real challenge for my budget...
Well, I will probably have more money to spend on groceries since I'll be staying away from alcol, bread, and... well, pretty much everything, since they love to put sugar in every darn thing... ><

Duck breasts: score the fat; fry fat-side down for 5 minutes on a high heat (open windows!); flip for 2 minutes; put in oven (hot) for 5 minutes.

My fave duck recipe is a duck and mango salad: cook duck as above; assemble some salad leaves on a plate; shred some green beans (raw) and put on top; make a salsa with a mango, a chilli, some tomatoes, a red onion (finely diced) some parsley, lime juice and salt and pepper; mix, put on top of the green stuff on your plate. Slice your duck and off you go. I could eat that every day. MMmmm.

Archived