Expense? Ways to save money on grocery bill?

silvey5

Hi!  I have included my whole family in this venture, but what I am finding (today is day 7) is that we are spending WAY more money than we can keep up with.  Our grocery bill goes up naturally with it being summer and the kids are home from school, but it is even way beyond that.

Any suggestions?

:wacko:  :wacko:

Also try this one: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/18779-is-this-going-to-be-expensive/

What I would add to my two long posts above is that a lot of paleo approved products are quite expensive (I'm talking about approved seaweed snacks, approved wraps, hazelnut butter, etc.) For the most part, ignore anything that is trying to be something that is non-paleo bad for you food. Focus on eating real food, stuff not out of a jar; make your own stuff, etc. Ignore most things that are 'paleo approved' because for the most part they are for after your Whole30.

I sympathize... I tried the Whole30 in a part of the world where meat is expensive and of low quality, and there was a limited variety of foods available. I strongly considered adding things from the vegetarian version (there is a section in the forum for that) because it would have been much more affordable and realistic for me, although I made it through with a lot of eggs.

Ethnic markets (Mexican, Middle Eastern, Asian, etc.) often have good deals on fruit/vegetables/eggs - if there are any near you, you could try that.

Whole chickens are often cheaper than cuts - I usually cook and eat the chicken, and then save and reuse the bones to make stock for soup.

Basically, I try to keep an eye out for inexpensive protein sources - what that may be for you will probably vary from place to place - and stock up on the proteins that are most affordable. I also then look for the least expensive fruits and vegetables and try to work with them.

Lastly, I do see the cost as an investment into better health that pays off over time - a sort of pay now or pay later sort of thing. 

I'll be looking forward to any suggestions here!

I strongly considered adding things from the vegetarian version (there is a section in the forum for that) because it would have been much more affordable and realistic for me, although I made it through with a lot of eggs.

I realize you didn't do this, but just for clarification for future readers of this thread: the different Whole30 shopping lists are not intended to mix and match.  Either chose the Whole30 omnivore program or the Whole30 vegetarian program, for example.  Whole30 advocates against combining pieces of different programs, at least for your first time through.  Choose one approach and stay with that for the entire 30 days.

Archived