Afraid of the dreaded "starting over" but hungry

Okay so I ate a good breakfast (homemade sausage, two scrambled eggs, a cup of roasted broccoli), and lunch (liver with peppers, onions, and apple).  It's now 2PM and I am SO HUNGRY.  My stomach is growling loudly.  I drank a full glass of water and it's still growling.  I'm sick and tired of roasted vegetables and meat, which I eat three times a day.  I prepared half a banana with coconut oil and some cashews, but I took one bite and am honestly afraid to eat any more of it because maybe it would count as a "snack" and I've have to start all over from Day 1.  

Thoughts?

eating a "snack" does not require a restart, unless you are snacking on off-plan foods. while 3 meals/no snacks is recommended, it is not required. Continue on, and try to eat more tomorrow (maybe more fat in particular) so you are less likely to need a snack in the afternoon.

I should mention I'm an athlete - Yesterday I ran 5.5 miles, and lifted weights for 30 min.  I understand how i'm supposed to have protein before and after a workout, but I can't always eat after - my metabolism doesn't permit me to eat after 7PM.  So then I wake FAMISHED and never catch up on that hungry feeling.

Any ideas how to get more fat in other than over roasted veg?  I like coconut oil but it always feels snack/desert-ish.  I was eating almond butter and coconut oil mixed together but a mod here said it was a big NO because it was too much like dessert, so I stopped eating it.  

Thanks!

What day are you on? If you're still pretty early on, it's not uncommon to be hungry while your body is transitioning. If you're truly hungry, having a mini-meal is totally fine, but something with protein in addition to fat would be a better choice than fruit and nuts - hard boiled eggs, or some pulled chicken with avocado, or something like that.

Any ideas how to get more fat in other than over roasted veg?

Mayo (homemade), salad dressings or sauces (like chimichurri) with extra virgin olive oil, avocado, guacamole, olives, coconut flakes, nuts on occasion... lots of options!

On the meat - different types of textures would probably help. Maybe roast a chicken and make chicken salad, or do salmon cakes, or taco salad with ground beef (if you add avocado or guac, that solves two problems in one).

Any ideas how to get more fat in other than over roasted veg?

Have you tried making homemade mayo yet?  

Once you have mayo, you can make all kinds of yummy sauces to dip your veggies and meat.

Do you like avocados?  Sliced or mashed and made into guacamole with a little salt and lime juice is an easy way to get more fat.

Nuts?  Cashews, macadamias and hazelnuts have the best ratio of fats.

What day are you on? If you're still pretty early on, it's not uncommon to be hungry while your body is transitioning. If you're truly hungry, having a mini-meal is totally fine, but something with protein in addition to fat would be a better choice than fruit and nuts - hard boiled eggs, or some pulled chicken with avocado, or something like that.

Mayo (homemade), salad dressings or sauces (like chimichurri) with extra virgin olive oil, avocado, guacamole, olives, coconut flakes, nuts on occasion... lots of options!

On the meat - different types of textures would probably help. Maybe roast a chicken and make chicken salad, or do salmon cakes, or taco salad with ground beef (if you add avocado or guac, that solves two problems in one).

This statement does not make sense to me. Can you clarify?

Have you tried making homemade mayo yet?  

Once you have mayo, you can make all kinds of yummy sauces to dip your veggies and meat.

Do you like avocados?  Sliced or mashed and made into guacamole with a little salt and lime juice is an easy way to get more fat.

Nuts?  Cashews, macadamias and hazelnuts have the best ratio of fats.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm on day 18.  I do make my own mayo, but I dislike avocado oil and the only oil I've found I like for mayo is walnut, so I use it sparingly because walnuts are only supposed to be consumed in moderation.

I LOVE avocados - good point I should add more of those. ty.

I currently eat beef, turkey, salmon, cod, chicken, and tuna.  

If I eat after 7PM, I gain weight.  A LOT of weight, and fast.

I'm on day 18.  I do make my own mayo, but I dislike avocado oil and the only oil I've found I like for mayo is walnut, so I use it sparingly because walnuts are only supposed to be consumed in moderation.

Try using LIGHT olive oil. To me, avocado oil makes mayo too heavy. The light olive oil provides a subtle flavor without the heaviness, and the benefits of olive oil. 

Guest WholeStanley

what times do you currently have your M1, M2 and M3? and what time do you start and finish working out? I'm just trying to get a clearer idea of your day before I give any advice. Its took me over 30 days of tweaking and trial and error to perfect meal timings and sizes around work outs so happy to impart any lessons i've learnt along the way if they can help out!

(p.s. background - i'm on day 10 of my second whole30 and I had a week break between my first w30 and my second. decided this is pretty much how i'm going to eat/live now)

If I eat after 7PM, I gain weight.  A LOT of weight, and fast.

Although eating times can impact hormones, and that can impact weight loss/fat storage, there is absolutely no scientific basis in the idea that eating some food at 6:59pm is ok, while eating the same food at 7:02pm would cause you to gain weight.

That said, you can certainly bulk up your meals earlier in the day to avoid feeling famished at night. Make sure you are eating at least the template minimum at breakfast, lunch and dinner. A palm-size (or more) of protein is key here. If you are eating eggs, make sure you have at least the number you could hold in one hand--that's 3 or 4 eggs for most people. If you choose fatty meats and eggs as your protein, you will be adding protein and fat at the same time, so that is a bonus. Consider meats like chicken thigh, pork shoulder, nice fatty grass-fed lamb and beef, etc.

what times do you currently have your M1, M2 and M3? and what time do you start and finish working out? I'm just trying to get a clearer idea of your day before I give any advice. Its took me over 30 days of tweaking and trial and error to perfect meal timings and sizes around work outs so happy to impart any lessons i've learnt along the way if they can help out!

(p.s. background - i'm on day 10 of my second whole30 and I had a week break between my first w30 and my second. decided this is pretty much how i'm going to eat/live now)

7AM (prerun if applicable) - tuna and homemade mayo

8:30AM (postrun if applicable) - Meal 1

12:30PM - Meal 2

5:00PM - Meal 3

Although eating times can impact hormones, and that can impact weight loss/fat storage, there is absolutely no scientific basis in the idea that eating some food at 6:59pm is ok, while eating the same food at 7:02pm would cause you to gain weight.

That said, you can certainly bulk up your meals earlier in the day to avoid feeling famished at night. Make sure you are eating at least the template minimum at breakfast, lunch and dinner. A palm-size (or more) of protein is key here. If you are eating eggs, make sure you have at least the number you could hold in one hand--that's 3 or 4 eggs for most people. If you choose fatty meats and eggs as your protein, you will be adding protein and fat at the same time, so that is a bonus. Consider meats like chicken thigh, pork shoulder, nice fatty grass-fed lamb and beef, etc.

I understand that there is no scientific basis.  All I have is 41 years of experience in my body. If I eat after 7 (like, 7:05 is okay but 7:30 is not), I WILL gain 3-4 lbs overnight, no joke.  And consistently

I cannot eat that much in one sitting - I will vomit.  I don't have an eating disorder - I just seriously cannot eat four eggs plus a plate full of veggies.  There is not that much room in my stomach.  Isn't our stomachs roughly the size of our fist?

Chicken thigh is my main protein source (I'm not a fan of breast).  IDK how fatty our pork and beef are.  I'll check that out - thank you.  

Perhaps it's worth considering that listening to your body's cues this month - and eating when you're hungry (or know you're going to be) is more important than the scale right now. If your body needs you to eat after your lifting session (and I think it's pretty obvious that it does), please listen to it.  Give it some time (it may take longer than the next 12 days) to adjust to this pattern of eating before you judge the long term effects on your appearance.  Gauge the changes by the way your clothes fit and how you feel, not by a rather arbitrary number on a plastic box.

I'd also encourage you to vary your veggies - roasted isn't your only option. Raw veggies with guacamole or home-made salad dressing, steamed veggies topped with clarified butter, even grilled veggies basted in olive oil. That may help with your boredom a bit.

STOP weighing yourself. Our weight can fluctuate by several pounds over the course of a day. Weighing one pound more this morning means absolutely nothing. Please stop stressing about this and just focus on eating good food and listening to your body. Focusing on weight and worrying this much always backfires on me for sure. RELAX.

Guest WholeStanley

"No scale" is as much a rule of Whole30 as "no sugar" - you really aren't doing the Whole30 process any justice if you ignore these fundamental rules

If you can excuse the self-promotion, I recently wrote a post about my experience with the scale and you might find it interesting to read - if you can spare the time (it turned out to be a little lengthy!)

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/19964-this-is-not-a-number-game-or-the-powerful-pull-of-numbers/

The number on the scale means NOTHING!  Put it away.

Like many people, I have had a magic number in my head of what I wanted to weigh.  I've been there a few times in my life and was never able to maintain it for long.  Now, after eating Whole30ish for a year, I am 10 pounds heavier than my magic number, but I'm wearing clothes that fit me at my magic number.  The scale means NOTHING!  You are only cheating yourself.

Well, in my defense, I only weighted myself the two times (yesterday morning and this morning), to see if I'd gain anything.  I've lost 135 lbs over the last seven years, so I know how my body works and wanted to know if maybe whole30 would let it me eat later with a different result.  Nope.

I agree that the scale means nothing, excpt that I have spent seven years with the goal of losing half my body weight, and I'm seven lbs from that goal.  seven lbs. Or was. Now I'm eight.  

Once I see that goal met, I'm happy to ditch the scale forever.  good riddance.  

oh, i might explain that i've been gluten/corn/soy/dairy/refined sugar free for YEARS.  Really the biggest change doing whole30 has been eating more vegetables and ditching oatmeal, maple syrup, and dates as my fuel for running.  I've been happy with the program overall, but the actual foods I eat haven't changed all that much.  

Guest WholeStanley

I wanted to know if maybe whole30 would let it me eat later with a different result.  Nope.

I don't think you really gave the whole30 a chance to show you if it could let you change your eating habits. You gave it 1 day. If it took 1 day to make a difference it would be called the Whole1 and everyone would be doing and we would all be able to make changes over night.

But it just doesn't happen that way - as someone who it sounds like has gone through quite a major transformation in the last 7 years surely you know that better than most of us

Archived