walnut oil in homemade mayo

I make my own mayo, but the only oil I care for at all in mayo is walnut.  I've tried light olive oil and avocado oil and find both to be unpalatable.  

I've been going really, really light on the mayo because walnuts are limited in Whole30.  I'd like to be able to eat more of it.  Am I correct that I should be limiting it due to the walnut oil, and if so, does anyone have any other ideas for oils to try?

• Moderators

I don't think you need to limit yourself. Nuts behave differently in the body than nut oils.

I've been happy with the extra light tasting olive oil in terms of flavor and texture, but I'm not convinced it's the healthiest option. Tree of Life avocado oil is so light it's almost flavorless. I've made mayo with half that and half coconut oil that's pretty tasty, though it does have a coconut flavor. I've heard half ghee, half coconut oil is good, too. But if you're chasing that store-bought mayo flavor, the closest thing I've found is the extra light tasting olive oil. But again, I think if you like walnut oil mayo you don't need to limit yourself with it because it is derived from a nut. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I've tried light OO and really disliked it.  I wonder if I should try a different brand of avocado oil... I really love the walnut oil, but not the nagging feeling that I'm messing up my omega3/6 ratio or whatever the issue is with walnuts. :/

• Moderators

The omega 6/3 balance is the issue with walnuts and walnut oil, but you can make sure you use that walnut mayo to make salmon salad or tuna salad frequently and keep the balance good. :)

Macadamia nut oil might work for you if you like walnut oil. 

Archived