My First Time...

sarahbeth15

I'm cheating a bit, because this topic hasn't started on day one of my Whole30 journey, but on day nine.post-47313-0-84875900-1403170283_thumb.j

I went to Egypt in January this year and unfortunately picked up a bad case of 'Pharaoh's Revenge', despite eating relatively well I'm still suffering with stomach and digestive problems five months later.

I was googling around and found the Whole30 site, which prompted a quick dash to Amazon to purchase It Starts With Food. I finished the book in a weekend, then threw away everything in my kitchen that was non-Whole30. I was left with a can of tuna.

In summary the past eight days have gone relatively well: I've only wanted to punch people in the face for two of those days. My meals have mainly consisted of:

Breakfast - Homemade 'sausage' (mince meat with herbs, garlic), eggs, spinach, banana (eaten separately)

Lunch - Chicken Salad (spinach, watercress, avocado, olive oil, pepper, cucumber, celery, carrot)

Dinner - Meat (lamb, beef, chicken), veggies, salad and maybe a sweet potato.

No snacks (don't miss my afternoon hot chocolate and Twix, honest), and lots of water and herbal teas. 

My main challenges over the past week have been:

1. Having breakfast, I'm used to no breakfast or making a quick smoothie to drink in the car on the way to work - I'd rather spend the extra time doing something else, like snoozing.

2. Explaining to people why I can't 'Have a Chinese with us', 'Go to TGIs', 'Have a pint'. Even my family who I have clearly explained to what I can and can't have still ask me if I would like a sandwich when I pop in for a cup of (green) tea. Last night I said 'Yes Mum, I'd love a sandwich' in what I thought was a sarcastic tone. Two minutes later, a sandwich was placed in front of me.

3. Food shopping and eating out. Luckily, I always shop at my local farm shop, where they raise and kill their own livestock and veggies are from local suppliers. It's mainly the condiments and extras - reading the labels, sometimes being over cautious if I'm not sure if it's allowed. Eating out is awful, I've only been once so far, normally it's three times a week, minimum. I miss Nando's.

They're little blips on the radar though compared to the benefits I feel just after a week - I have not had one issue with my gut since I started the Whole30. Nothing. This in itself has made me feel like a new person and has been worth it. But, look what I've also won... sleeping through! No more waking up at 2am, 4am, 5am, 6am. I've also lost about half a stone (gauging on clothing and appearance, not the scales)

I think my main challenges over the next week will be in finding new recipes to try, I'm already becoming bored of lunches and breakfast. I also feel that despite sleeping through, I'm not getting enough sleep (8 hours) so I'm going to go to bed a little earlier next week and aim for nine hours.

I'm also worried about week three of the timeline, where gut problems can arise. I've finally, finally got my belly behaving and feel like a normal human again, I'm dreading feeling worse.

I'd really appreciate any input, advice and support in my journey, even questions!

From tomorrow, I'll post daily with more information on my diet and daily progress.

Thanks for reading,

Sarah 

Hi there, wish I had something to offer - I'm on day 3, and scouting for people who started at the same time as me so we can maybe buddy up, as I'm isolated in rural Lincolnshire. But you're streets ahead :)

Hope you keep doing well. I've found lots of inspiration for recipes online - here's a few good blogs:

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/

http://stupideasypaleo.com/

http://nomnompaleo.com/

You're a hoot! I loved these:

"I...threw away everything in my kitchen that was non-Whole30. I was left with a can of tuna."

"In summary the past eight days have gone relatively well: I've only wanted to punch people in the face for two of those days."

The gut problems may not arise; not everyone experiences it and it seems so far you've avoided the early issues a lot of people deal with. So I'd say, enjoy the positive gains so far. If problems arise, you'll deal.

Good luck!

So, I've already broken my first promise, I didn't update daily but here's my highlights since Thursday:

• Friday - I went round to a friend's house and watched my two friends eat crisps and drink wine. I had a glass of water and lime slices which filled me with resentment.
  • Saturday - I had a colonic in the morning and put a beef chilli in the slow-cooker. This is still in the fridge waiting to be eaten (the chilli) I'm not sure how much detail to go into regarding the colonic; I'm not sure if anyone's eating whilst reading this. If you want to know more though - shout up, I'm a firm believer that sharing is caring.
  • Sunday - I spent all day cleaning/sun-bathing. I also got some beef bones from the farm shop and put them in the slow-cooker last night to make a bone broth.

I don't know about anyone else who's doing the Whole30, but I feel as though my life excitement has decreased by around 90%. I really find it a struggle as I'd eat out a lot, and go out drinking at least a couple of times a week. Now I'm stuck with water and lime slices. I've cancelled a few nights just because I can't stand seeing everyone tucking into TGI's Jack Daniel BBQ sauce when I can't join in.

Anyone else every feel the same? If you have, what did you do? 

Also, I know you're not supposed to get weighed and it's especially bad for me that I have as I can easily become obsessed with weighing myself. It's going in the right direction though (I'm not going to give numbers because I don't want anyone compare their progress with mine), which makes me feel that this, on top of the improvement in my sleep and gut problems, is so worth it. .

@jessiegetswhole - thanks for the links, I'll have a read through later tonight with a glass of wine water. I'm happy to buddy up - let me know how you're doing and if you've got any questions. Probably take this post with a pinch of salt too, the Whole30 has benefited me so much, it's well worth a few days of feeling poo.

@glennr & @kmlynne - so far still no stomach issues, fingers crossed I'm going to make it unscathed!

Take care,

Sarah

Day 17 of a possible 59.

I actually have no energy and feel like all life has been sucked out of me.

I think because my diet and gut was so bad before, I'm only hitting the tough stages now. 

Because of this, I've decided (almost) to extend my Whole30 to a Whole59.

I'll update at the weekend when hopefully I'm feeling a bit more positive.

Hey,

I've got another six days left of the Whole30, but I'm now going to be doing a Whole50 - finishing 1st August.

I went to watch a film at the cinema, Chef. Do not go see this on the Whole30, it a a 90 minute montage of non-Whole30, delicious food. I've never wanted to eat a toasted cheese sandwich as much in my life!

I'm still struggling to have my three meals a day containing protein, fat and carbs (veg). I try as hard as I can through, it's mainly breakfast where I'll just end up eating some chicken cooked in coconut oil, no veg.

My sleep has got better, generally sleeping the whole night through. I'm feeling happier in myself and less stressed, I feel more productive at work. Saying that, I am typing this at work.

I can't lay in on a weekend, normally I stay in in bed until 12 pm snoozing. Last weekend I was up cleaning at 9:30!

I shouldn't have, but I weighed myself and I've dropped a stone since starting. I really regret cheating though because I was disappointed that it's only a stone, when I know that it's actually amazing. I won't be on the scales again until the end of the fifty days.

@jessiegetswhole - how are you doing, how long have you got left?

Sarah x

Guest WholeStanley

I was disappointed that it's only a stone,

Omg please read this again and realise how crazy that sounds. a stone! in under 30 days! when does that even happen - and in any other scenario would that make u dissappointed?! if you continued at that rate you would have wasted away in a year!

i'm not trying to play up how good it is to lose a stone, but more just how dangerous our addiction to numbers/scales can be when they cause you to have this reaction. (i'm speaking from experience here -i've been in a very similar boat) You're doing great, please remember that!

Also, for the veggies at breakfast - have you considered sauteeing up some savoy cabbage, greens, mushrooms and keeping in a tuppaware and then you can just add this to your chicken in the pan in the morning? You might even want to add a little mashed parnsip to make it more like a bubble and squeak!

Omg please read this again and realise how crazy that sounds. a stone! in under 30 days! when does that even happen - and in any other scenario would that make u dissappointed?! 

I know it sounds insane! 

I have had some really bad psychological issues with thinking I'm a lot bigger than I am, and part of that was made worse by constant weighing in. I think it's because the stone I've lost takes me down to my weight from last year. So for me I haven't weighed less than I do now for a couple of years. 

I think the disappointment is because I wanted to see a 'new' number - something less than I weighed previously. I know I haven't even done the 30 days, and to be honest I was at someone else's house and saw the scales - it was too tempting.

It's a big issue that I'm trying to address, and I've only weighed in twice on the Whole30, normally it's daily.

Thanks for the advice about the breakfast veggies  :D

Whole50?! You're keen! I'm on day 20, and feeling really, really tired. I'm not sure if it's food-related - I've been sticking to the meal plan in terms of protein, fats and veg - but I have a tension headache at the moment and honestly, all I want to do is lie down..! Hoping the headache will go away today and I can get a taste of this fabled tiger blood.

Hey,

I finish the Whole30 on Thursday.

I'm not really sure what to do, I thought I'd picked up a stomach bug at the weekend so I've been to the doctors and they think I have an infection but maybe a problem with my gallbladder. The same day my grandmas been taken seriously ill and is in a coma.

I think I've eaten a total of five (whole30) meals since Sunday.

I really can't decide whether to carry on with it, as I'm eating with family a lot and not having time to plan and shop. Or... After Thursday have a couple of days break to see what happens.

Jessie, I didn't get the tiger blood, but all that's happened aside, I did get a feeling of happiness and contentment that was constant. Even though you feel poo now, what benefits have you noticed?

Jessie, I didn't get the tiger blood, but all that's happened aside, I did get a feeling of happiness and contentment that was constant. Even though you feel poo now, what benefits have you noticed?

Sounds like you are facing some big challenges. How are you getting on? Sticking with it?

I'm feeling better now, was really lethargic and sluggish yesterday, which is standard for when I have a tension headache, and I don't think it's related to food at all - although I had hoped making changes to my diet might somehow help! Anyway it's lingering but almost gone. As for benefits.. I don't know. It's hard to find positives when you feel dreadful ;) I guess it's great to never have a hangover, and to be trying out lots of new recipes..

Archived