Yesterday I made myself a big portion of bone broth from a chicken carcass I'd previously devoured.

I'm now a bit stuck as to what I can do with it, apart from drinking it.

I was thinking to stir fry some chicken, ginger, chilli and vegetables and then add the broth like a light chicken soup - not sure how this will turn out.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Guest WholeStanley

I use chicken broth when reheating chicken or other meats, as I dont feel the microwave often does them justice! Just heat up some broth in a deep frying pan and then add the carved meat

• Moderators

Can you have bone broth as a meal?

It doesn't have enough of any of the macronutrients to fit the template, so no. It's wonderful to sip as a hot beverage, though, when you'd usually have coffee or tea. Or I sometimes have a cup before bed if I'm feeling a bit hungry but don't want to eat.

It also freezes beautifully, so if you don't think you can use up your current batch before it spoils, tuck some away for later. You'll be glad to have it when you stumble upon a recipe that calls for broth!

Soup is always good. I am currently eating turnip-carrot-onion soup made with the broth created when I cooked a whole chicken. 

My basic soup recipe was stolen from Melissa Joulwan and is explained here: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2013/11/pressure-cooker-golden-cauliflower-soup/

Mr. Tom...I couldn't drink bone broth.  It would have to be married with the chicken and vegetables like yours. 

Do you have the Well Fed 2 cookbook? She has a fantastic recipe for Faux Pho. I make the broth all the time and use it with whatever green veggies and protein I have on hand. I'm actually having it for meal 1 this morning with oxtails, chard, kale and zucchini noodles.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived