Just getting started

drjeni

Day 14 in the bank! Almost halfway there ...

M1: Chunks of ground beef with 2 c mixed asparagus, broccoli, and green beans - cooked in coconut oil and sprinkled with delicious compliant Yemeni spice blend

M2: 3 Lemongrass pork patties over mixed greens drizzled with olive oil and juice from 1/2 a lemon

M3: 2 Drumsticks with skin from roasted chicken with thyme coated roasted sweet potato

Consciously increased my fat at each meal to stay with the template (it's been a bit lacking) and felt good all day. Less hunger between meals/desire to snack. The right fat level definitely makes a difference!!

Done with Day 15- that's officially halfway!! Huzzah!! You can't see it but I'm doing a spectacular happy dance in my head :) In reality I didn't do much to celebrate but gonna buy myself a swim pass tomorrow and definitely looking forward to getting back in the pool!

M1: Chicken liver + gizzard (no heart in the package ...) fried in coconut oil with 2 c mixed green beans and asparagus + 2 soft boiled eggs.

M2: Roast chicken breast with skin + cauliflower soup with 1/2 c coconut milk and small handful almond slivers. Delish and full with energy all day!

M3: Taj Mahal curry over cauliflower couscous cooked in ghee. This is a fave! Warm and comforting and so so delicious!!

Whew! Day 16 - didn't sleep well last night and had a LONG day but happily didn't drag too much today. My body definitely wants it's sleep tonight though! I'm in bed and hope to be lights out in the next 10 minutes (it's 9:05 locally).

Didn't get enough fat today - need to work on that!

M1: 2 soft boiled eggs with small piece of roast chicken breast cooked with 2 c mixed broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and greens seasoned with Dukkah spice mix (cooked in coconut oil). Really awesome start to the day :)

M2: Zucchini soup + large piece roast chicken breast and broccoli & Brussels sprouts. Ate late due to back to back meetings and was super hungry when I finally sat down. Really focused on chewing my food instead of inhaling it and was mostly successful :) Made myself tea, walked away to let it steep and completely forgot about it ...

M3: Dinner out with friends - lamb patty with herbs and kale salad, no dressing. Really tasty food. I haven't missed eating many foods but the lovely aroma of the wine my friends shared kept wafting oh so nicely up my nose... I didn't indulge but was sorely tempted.

It's funny - many things that I had to had previously (cafe au laits, diet coke, baked goods) don't really appeal to me and, beyond the first few days, I haven't really missed them. I haven't missed wine per se but I wanted a glass and was enticed as I haven't been when my colleagues go out for a soda break. I had a hankering for some peanut butter today too - someone had a PB cookie and I didn't want the cookie as much as I wanted a spoonful of PB... Not sure how legumes will reintroduce when this is all said and done, but I do love me some PB (here's hoping it loves me back!).

Day 17 - inching ever closer :) Good day overall but still need to be better to my body, activity and sleep wise.

M1: 2 soft boiled eggs + small piece roast chicken breast over 2 c greens cooked in coconut oil

M2: Lunch at work function - brought food with me in case and very little I could eat here but managed - Beef burger patty (I asked for the ingredients & this was ok, the chicken and veggie burgers for sure weren't!) + tomato slices and iceberg lettuce leaves. Not great veggie nutrition but filling. The guy's eyes nearly popped out of his head when I said no fries :)

M3: Roast chicken breast ~ 1.5 palms, plus 2 c mixed broccoli & Brussels sprouts cooked in coconut oil. Very sarisfying close to the day.

I get my CSA box tonight and I'm very excited about what I'll discover! I've basically got a few carrots, beets, and sweet potatoes but otherwise cleaned out of veggies and fruit - it'll be nice to have a re-up.

I can't believe it's day 18! Feeling great! Worked late last night and my body felt it but still had good energy and mood all day, score!

M1: My soft boiled eggs cracked on the way in so when I came back to pull them out they were already out, so to speak :( did a quick sauté in coconut oil of pork butt and leftover roast chicken thighs with kale and purple carrots. Quite yummy for something thrown together let minute. Drizzled with lime juice - delish!

M2: Lunch out for work thing - Round table salad bar with hard boiled eggs for protein and olives/olive oil for fat. Also used some balsamic for dressing and it was a bit too acid but I ate it. Prolly needed a bit more protein but couldn't do more than 2 eggs and none of the other protein options were compliant.

M3: Pork butt & roast chicken thigh mix from this morning over orange carrots and green beans, done in coconut oil. Sooooo tasty!

You're rocking the eating out! I love how varied your meals are, especially the veggies - I think I'll try using Dukkah with some greens! It's so annoying though when your egg don't come out how you wanted them. I like soft yolks but no uncooked whites, so I have to toe the very fine line of cooking them enough to cook the white but not the yolk. Regular balsamic does tend to be quite sharp, aged balsamic is much better. 

What was in your CSA box?!

It was a winner of a box! A pound of green beans, 2 gorgeous heads of broccoli, 2 HUGE bunches of crinkly kale, 6 nectarines, 6 weird little "donut" peaches, 2 avocados, and 2 heirloom tomatoes.

I agree about the eggs - whites cooked through and runny yolks - best ever.

I'm really enjoying the eats on this plan but still waiting for re bonus parts to kick in. I'd say my energy is up but it's not the powerhouse levels described by someone. Had an awful headache all day - just got worse as the day went on, so my moods a bit darker in this moment but I would say it's been peppy overall. My sleep has been kinda all over the place and that's partly my fault for not going to bed on time... Here's to the weekend and day 19 in the bank!

M1: 2 soft boiled eggs and left over roasted chicken, sautéed kale in coconut oil, nectarine.

M2: Cauliflower soup and roast chicken.

Snack: a few sweet peppers and carrot sticks. Less than a handful.

M3: Citrus carnitas from Well Fed, 1/2 batch of guacamole (1 avocado, 1/2 tomato, garlic powder, cayenne, juice from 1 lime), fresh green beans and carrots.

Tired tonight - hoping I'll sleep well ...

Such a great day! Went back through my food logs and realized that my first two days had non-compliant things (bacon namely) so I've decided to make this a whole32. I didn't have any auto-restart foods but they weren't as clean as they should've been. No big - just gonna tack on two more days to ensure 30 clean ones. Had a bunch of awesome ladies over for a joint yard sale and we grilled and they asked about the Whole30 and we had a great chat about it. There was one person (always one, eh?) who couldn't wrap her mind around it, but overall it was a wonderful positive conversation. Win!

M1: Carnitas with guac and sautéed kale with lemon. Should've skipped the lemon on the kale - waaaaay to acidic. Yummy though.

M2: Ginger lime shrimp on the grill, veggies from a tray (carrot sticks, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, and snap peas), and piña colada popsicles! Recipe on the popsicle holder box, slightly tweaked: frozen bananas, fresh pineapple, coconut milk. Delish!!

M3: Salmon cooked in coconut oil with fresh carrots. OMG crispy salmon skin!

Great mood and energy all day. Huzzah!

I can't believe it's day 22...! This definitely gets easier with practice and the sugar dragon is not yet slain but he's more and more dormant :) I made piña colada popsicles this weekend and didn't over indulge (had them with a template meal as my fruit + extra fat) but a friend turned me on to paleo fudge pops and I discovered an as yet unfelt craving for pudding... Got through it no prob, just very interesting.

Food yesterday was LAZY - it was a low key day all around :)

M1: Salmon with sautéed kale

M2: Magic Wings from nom nom paleo (OMG truly magical!) over steamed broccoli with a spoonful of almond butter

M3: Prosciutto with carrots dipped in almond butter.

Not the best idea to have almond butter two meals in a row, I know, but only this one time so I'm not gonna worry about it. I've got the Char Siu from Well Fed in my oven roasting right now - gonna have BBQ pork fried rice for lunch and I'm sooooooo excited!!!

Have a great day Whole30ers!

Food from day 22 -

M1: 2 soft boiled eggs and carnitas over sautéed kale + a nectarine

M2: BBQ pork fried rice from Well Fed - ate the pork and not much else, this had an off taste (cauliflower may have been past it's prime)

M3: Char Siu from Well Fed over caprese salad (minus the mozz of course). Delish but needed more basil :)

Day 23 in the bag - zooming in on the last week (!)...

M1: 3 soft boiled eggs and sautéed kale with ras al hanout

M2: Char Siu over green beans with sesame oil drizzled on top

M3: Magic wings over steamed broccoli with lemon juice + 1 Tbsp almon butter

Archived