Painful joints

You may have a problem with nightshades.  If you have been eating more tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc -- they could very well be your culprit.  A search of threads here or a google search of "nightshade sensitivity" should be able to tell you all about it.

Nope, no nightshades in the last week.  Kale, lettuce, celery, brocholli, califlower, garlic, onions, and other none nightshade veggies.  If I eat too much tomatoe I have heartburn, so I don't eat a lot.  Any other suggestions?  I am ready to quit with only 6 days left if this doesn't resolve soon.  Took a hot yoga class hoping it was water retention, lots of sweat, still swollen.

I'm sorry, I don't have any other suggestions right off the top of my head.  If you'd like to post more about your daily food & activity,  maybe more people could help?  Sorry you are having issues!  Has this happened to you before?  Do you have any health issues you are aware of that may contribute to this?

Brewer5, I am a 60 year old female, who is working to become healthier.  I have been allergic to soy my entire adult life (diagnosed at 24).  Recently, at about day 15, the yoga studio I go to was burning a soy candle during class, I had to leave for an anaphylactic response.  I have done my best to avoid soy up to this point, but this is the first time I have tried something that totally eliminates it.  I do yoga 6 times a week, for 60 to 90 minutes.  Two days a week are a restorative class, two days is a Hatha class that emphasizes strength, and two days of a hot vinyasa flow, which is my cardio.  I had been doing yoga for about 3.5 months before starting the Whole 30, and had lost 16 pounds. 

We eat whole foods at our house even when not eating paleo, but we include dairy, some legumes and some grains.  My big problem was soft drinks, but I have been good about that.

Yesterday I started the day with bacon, one egg scrambled with broccholi, celery, and herbs, one coffee with coconut milk.  Lunch was tuna and a salad and a peach.  Dinner was a lovely bone in rib eye, salad, 1/3 a sweet potato, 1/2 avacado and more broccholi.  I had a small serving of watermelon for dessert.  This was the first watermelon in about 10 days.  All servings are on the small side, as I don't eat a lot.  My husband calculated the calories (I know we don't count calories, but he does) and they were between 950 and 1000.  I drink lots of water and a hot yoga class for 90 minutes pretty much flushes a lot of it out. 

Today is day 25 and I think when this is over we will bring back some dairy, legumes and grains.  Because of my soy allergy everything has to be made at home or purchased after a careful reading of the ingredients.  I will not go back to the soda routine.  But this is boring, and a lot of work.

First things first, do you have a history of joint pain or is this a new occurrence?

Second, have you been eating many eggs during your Whole30?  Some folks with autoimmune or joint problems find them irritating.

Finally - EAT MORE.  You are significantly under-eating, especially for your activity level. It's almost guaranteed that you won't see the benefits of the program when you're so under-fed.  If you can't eat a lot at one meal, add another meal or two during your day to ensure you're getting enough food in. 

Thank fod the suggestion to eat more, I am working on it. I have never had any autoimmune problems or joint problems before which is what is so frustrating. I have had an egg per day. I do not like eggs and could without them. I figure I have 5 days to go before reintroduction.

Archived