Laur's Whole60 Log & Ramblings

Laur2014

Hi there,

I'm doing a Whole 60 with two of my friends. It started Friday, June 20. I'm doing this log to hold myself accountable. I'm also doing this log so i won't drive everyone nuts talking about it nonstop. I just finished my first Whole 30 a couple of weeks ago and decided that I need more than 30 days. I learned a lot from my first Whole 30 and created some additional "rules" for myself based on that experience. 

First, here are my goals:

(1) Fat loss - We can get this out of the way early.  I would be lying if I said this wasn't at the top of my list for doing this.  That said, I want to lose fat in a healthy way that will be sustainable long term.  I'm looking for a life style change.  I don't have a lot of fat to lose, but I would like to do some body composition fine tuning.

(2) Change my relationship with food - I've been crossfitting for almost a year now and already eat fairly paleo/clean, my problem is that one cheat meal on Friday turns into a weekend long bender of pizza, nachos, icecream, cake, brownies, beer, and of course, wine.  I swear, you would think i had been caged up all week and only alotted 2 saltines and a glass of water per day.  I end up feeling like a bloated zombie on monday. Then i eat paleo/clean all week. By Thursday I finally start to feel like a real human again and then have a cheat Friday night and start it all over again.  I am also the worst offender of food with no brakes. I guess, that's obvious by my description of my weekends with no brakes.  I want to be able to have a square of chocolate without completely derailing.  I want to be able to have a spoonful of almond butter and then put the jar away and forget about it.

(3) identify food sensitivities

(4) better sleep

(5) improve athletic performance

(6) see if I can go without allergy Med - I take an otc 24hr antihistamine 365 days a year. I want to be able to go without.

(7) Lead by example in order to inspire my family to change the way they eat - I have lectured my parents and sister for years about the way they eat.  The problem is that they arent obviously overweight or unhealthy.  I think we are a genetically blessed family in that respect.  I know its all under the surface though.  My dad has high blood pressure, and my mom and sister have a serious sugar addiction. I'm terrified that they are going to eventually develop diabetes and have other health problems down the road.  They have made some changes, but not nearly enough. I drive them absolutely nuts talking about it. After reading ISWF I've figured out what I have to do to inspire them to change - lead by example. I need to accomplish goals 1-6.  I think its the only way.  My family is the most important thing to me so when things get hard I'm going to remind myself that I'm not just doing this for myself. I'm doing it for them too.

Here are my additional rules:

(1) no nuts - This is going to be hard, but nuts and nut butters are total food with no brakes for me. Also, I need to figure out if I'm sensitive to almonds. I'm pretty sure I am. Of course, it could be that I find it nearly impossible to eat a reasonable amount.

(2) no Lara bars - total SWYPO for me. I might as well eat a candy bar.

(3) No Kombucha after I finish the one in my refrigerator - i started relying too heavily on them during my first whole 30.  I actually think they were making me bloated. Has this happened to anyone else? Am I crazy?

(4) limit fruit to no more than 1 piece/serving per day during first 30 days. I may cut it out during the last 30 days. I'm concerned about using fruit as a crutch for my sugar dragon.

If you read all that, thanks for reading!

Thanks healthyAbby!

I'm starting this log with today (day 3).

Day 3, Meal 1:

3 eggs scrambled with red onion, grape tomatoes, baby Bella mushrooms, & spinach

2 slices of pederson's paleo friendly bacon

1/4 an avocado

Coffee & water

post-45695-0-64785800-1403440519_thumb.j

Day 3 exercise:

9:30 WOD - Nancy (5 rounds - 400m run, 15 OHS)

I used 55# instead of 65#. Definitely could have done 65#, but my right wrist was bothering me so I scaled. In hindsight 65# was doable. I was kind of lazy on the 400m run. My legs got tired a little too quickly and it was super humid, which made it hard to breathe. It sounds like I'm complaining but I just want to document how I felt so when I look back I'll know.

I forgot to finish a few bites of my eggs and veggies this am so when I got home I just finished that off.

Day 3, meal 2:

Pellegrino w/ lime

Burger (90/10 from whole foods. Not grass fed. It was on sale)

Salad - two handfuls super greens from Whole Foods, red onion, grape tomatoes, 1/4 avocado, tessmae's zesty ranch, baby carrots

sweet potato purée - I made salmon cakes from ISWF for dinner tonight and I finished off the can of sweet potato purée while cooking lunch. I'm not proud of it, but it happened. I need to do a better job of not doing stuff like that. Also, I ate a piece of a salmon cake that fell off. There! I said it. I feel better now that I got that off my chest. I think that's where I go wrong - I take a little here and there.

post-45695-0-81623900-1403458674_thumb.j

Day 3, meal 3:

Salmon cakes from ISWF (used coconut flour instead of almond flour)

Salad - super greens, tomatoes, carrots, onions

Brussel sprouts

Pelligrino w/ lime

Cup of chamomile tea

More exercise - walked dog 3.5 miles, afternoon

post-45695-0-60309700-1403485954_thumb.j

Thanks Karen! Congrats on your whole 60 and good luck on the whole90! That's so amazing! I hope you're proud of yourself! I'm excited to be back!

Observation:

didn't sleep well last night. Not sure why.

Day 4, meal 1:

3 eggs scrambled w/ onion, mushroom, spinach, & asparagus

hot sauce

1/4 avocado

2 slices bacon

Coffee

Water

Two victories so far today:

1) This morning while packing my lunch I resisted the urge to snack mindlessly on the carrots I was packing. It may seem like small victory, after all it's just carrots, but I had already eaten breakfast and wasn't hungry so didn't need the carrots. If I had eaten them it would have been out of habit, not hunger.

2) I was given gluten free, dairy free, chocolate muffins this morning as a thank you gift and actually didn't feel the uncontrollable urge to devour them! Instead I put them on the counter in the kitchen in our office to share with everyone else. If there are any left over I may freeze them and give them to my friend who doesn't have a sweet tooth (lucky her) to keep for me until after this is over. I don't even feel sad or deprived that I can't have them! This. Is. Huge. I LOVE chocolate, but right now my resolve to complete a successful 60 days feels unshakeable. I'm not going to "cheat," so I see no point in torturing myself thinking about those muffins. I hope this lasts. I feel stronger this time around since I know what challenges I may face. That said, I'm glad I decided to do this log. I'm going to have to reread this post when I hit a rough patch.

post-45695-0-13716700-1403532278_thumb.j

Hey,

I'm considering turning my Whole30 into a Whole60 too, which will bring me up to a friend's wedding where I can finally have a glass of bubbly!

What in particular made you consider doubling the effort? What results did you see, and what did you expect that didn't happen?

Sarah

Hey Sarah,

I decided to do a whole 60 this time for a few reasons. I guess the biggest reason I decided to do a Whole 60 is that 30 days just wasn't long enough for me to accomplish all that I want to accomplish. Although the 30 days was certainly productive, I didn't really end my Whole 30 on a high note. I think I need more time for both physical and mental healing.

First, I don't think my gut fully healed during my first Whole 30. As I mentioned in my first post, I think I may be sensitive to nuts. I thought about eliminating them last time but didn't. There were two occasions during my first Whole 30 when I ate half of a jar of almond butter in one day. I had to throw it away to stop eating it. After that, I was bloated and had acid reflux. This is part of what makes me think I may be sensitive to nuts. The way I see it, if I have a sensitivity to nuts and basically binged on them twice during my first Whole 30 then my gut didn't really get the chance to heal. I suppose it's possible that if I had 30 days without nuts my gut would be healed during that 30 days, but it's the way I felt during my last 10 days that really made me feel like a Whole 60 would be in order.

I felt awesome after about a week on the Whole 30 (somewhere around day 8 or 9). I was noticeably less bloated, sleeping better, and more energized. I would say the last 10 or so days of my whole 30 were the hardest. For some reason, I was more bloated - maybe it was the almond butter I ate on day 25ish? maybe it was because I was pmsing? maybe it was the fact that I started eating too many sweet potatoes? maybe it was the fact that I started drinking more and more Kombucha? My cravings also seemed to be more intense during the last 10 or so days. Maybe it was stress, or the fact that the end was in sight, or maybe one of the reasons I just mentioned? I'm not really sure why and that's part of what I hope to find out. Around the same time I also started eating lara bars. I guess I started feeding my sugar cravings during that last 10 days, but with compliant foods? Days 24-26 were the worst of the worst for me. I have never been more angry than I was on day 25, and I broke down that day and had extra sweet potato, coconut water, and a lara bar...or two. Oh yea, and almond butter. It wasn't pretty. My Whole 30 was definitely full of ups and downs, but I definitely ended it a little disappointed in myself for feeding my sugar dragon on day 25 (even with compliant foods) when I was so close to the end.

I feel like 30 days was really just enough time for me to get to the hard part. Maybe it's because I am already a fairly clean eater so the first 20 days weren't so bad, but the final stretch is where it got me. I think 60 days will give me enough time to really fight through the hard part and get back on course, whereas 30 days was really only enough time for me to get to the hard part for some reason. I went nuts (pun intended) on day 25 and obsessed over the fact that I was almost done. I couldn't wait to be "free" to eat a piece of chocolate! Obviously, that's not the mindset Whole30 promotes, so I think I just need more time. Like I said in my first post, I'm looking for a life style change and I don't think 30 days was enough for me to break years and years of bad habits.

That's a really long way of saying that I just don't think 30 days was enough for me to heal my gut and change my relationship with food.

As for my results, my skin totally cleared up. That was awesome. It took almost the full 30 days for it to clear up but it happened! I don't know if I lost weight or not really. At first I was sure I was loosing but then I got all bloated again towards the end. Usually the cleaner I am with my diet the better my athletic performance and sleep, that held true for my Whole 30. The BEST part is that I think I've actually transitioned to being a fat burner! I can go longer between meals and I no longer get "hangry" if I don't eat on time. I also learned a lot about how food affects me. I'm thinking of my first Whole 30 as a trial run, and this 60 days as the real deal. There will be less experimenting this time, since I know more about what to expect and what I need.

Here's what I learned:

1. Eating 3 eggs for breakfast versus just 2 eggs makes all the difference in the world.

2. Eating enough fat or not enough fat is the difference between being hungry between meals or being able to last an extra hour. It's also the key to satiation. My main added fat source is avocado or bacon (I count bacon as fat). I need 1/2 an avocado w/ meats that aren't fatty (i.e. chicken breast, tuna, turkey). I can do 1/4 an avocado w/ fatty cuts of meat (beef, pork). I cook in coconut oil or olive oil but don't really count that as fat for a meal. I may play around with my fat content a little during these 60 days, but for now, I know that keeps me full and happy between meals.

3. Sweet potatoes are a necessity, not a luxury. I absolutely have to eat sweet potato in order to maintain my activity level (I do crossfit). If I don't eat at least a small sweet potato/day then I set myself up for failure.

4. I LOVE ROASTED BEETS! Holy cow, beets are amazing. I have tried all sorts of new veggies because of the Whole 30.

I'm sure there's more but that's enough rambling for now. I hope that answered your question to some extent? As you can see, this is a work in progress for me.

Thanks for the detailed answer, it's good that you've been able to reflect on what's worked and hasn't.

I don't know if I should complete this Whole30 have a weekend break (i.e. glass of wine, whatever I want to eat) then do another Whole30 straight away, or just power through and do the Whole60. I'm not exactly sure how much a weekend would set me back? 

I guess if it gets to the end of my Whole30 and I still really crave rubbish then that's a sign to continue.

I actually thought about taking a weekend off and then getting straight back on for another Whole 30. I went back and forth for the last week of my Whole 30.  My advice is to figure out what you are going to do before you get to Day 30 and commit to it.  If not, you'll end up taking two weeks off like me. 

I definitely agree with you. If you are feeling strong cravings for that glass of wine, pizza, chocolate, etc., that's probably a sign to power through and make it a Whole 60. I wish I had done that.

I ate dinner kind of late last night (8:15pm) but for some reason I woke up at 3am starving! I thought maybe I was just thirsty so I drank a glass of water but that didn't help. I feel like I ate a lot yesterday so I'm not sure why that happened. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would love to hear it. The same thing happened to me during my first whole 30 sometimes.

The good news: I'm definitely less bloated today! I was worried that my 2 weeks off the wagon had ruined my progress during my first Whole 30, but I think the bloating is going away faster than last time.

Day 5, meal 1:

2 eggs scrambled with ground beef, spinach, onion, mushrooms, hot sauce

2 pieces of bacon

1/4 avocado

Coffee

Water

post-45695-0-00215800-1403606588_thumb.j

Archived