Day 27 Blunder - advice needed, please

So, I was in a pickle last night and stupidly unprepared. I was at my 30th high school reunion and totally expected to be able to make healthy or at least semi-healthy choices. i quickly found myself in a tough spot. The only approved foods I could have were prime rib and olives and NOTHING else. I was starving and feeling embarassed about filling my plate with meat and olives only, so I added and ate some unapproved appetizers...not many, but I did break the rules for the first time in 27 days. Advice? Start over at Day 28 or go ahead and stay with it until day 30 and begin re-introducing foods as suggested? Then, I wouldn't be opposed to starting over at day 1. I am unsure as to the best thing to do at this point and your suggestions would be appreciated.

Ingesting gluten, soy, dairy and carrageenan, for example, all call for a restart, as each are gut irritants.  Part of the idea on a Whole30 is to keep you free of these ingredients for 30 consecutive days. Also, choosing to consume off-plan food, regardless of what you ate, also hits the reset button.

Since you're not opposed to it, starting over, or calling it a Whole57, would be the way to go.

For attending future events while on a Whole30, consider crafting a strategy to tackle these situations so you can stay on track. Maybe you eat beforehand, bring a compliant snack, or call the caterer ahead of time and see if you can arrange a compliant meal, for example?

No salad at all! I didn't eat very much but I did eat two small appetizers: one tiny egg roll and another small slice of toast with cheese. The only vegetable there was mashed potatoes with toppings. I found the choices very starched filled, odd and annoying. I ate so little of the appetizers that I'm it did not affect the outcome of Whole 30

I do NOT want to start all over, being so close to the end of my first Whole 30. A Whole 57 does not sound encouraging at this point Today, I continued on with day 28 and did well. When day 31 comes, I will try to add dairy back and then grains as directed.

Congratulations for making it 27 days. How did you feel after you ate those appetizers? Welcome to the world of navigating parties and events. I always eat before any event because usually I can't eat anything. Although you felt everyone was judging you for eating meat and olives, they probably didn't notice or care. Good luck!

I don't blame you for not wanting to start over. If you felt like crap, then you know what didn't settle well with you. I think at day 27, you would know that. It's preposterous that it's suggested to do a whole57. I mean really.

I messed up at day 15 and yes i'm extending mine but at the same time, I ate pretty well. This helped me eliminate sugar cravings and learn when not eating enough good stuff sets me up for cravings, etc. That's why i messed up day 15 and had a few cookies. But I recovered. I was bloated for a day and then bounced back after resuming the template.

I wouldn't feel guilt. The fact that you owned up to says alot! Rock on.

I think at day 27, you would know that. It's preposterous that it's suggested to do a whole57. I mean really.

Honestly, it's not preposterous at all. The program is 30 days. Now, the choice to restart is always a personal one (we're not going to come to your house and make you start over, for goodness sake!), but for many people that sense of accomplishment is important. I would also argue that folks who make conscious off-plan choices and continue with their efforts, declaring themselves to have completed a Whole30, significantly diminish the efforts of those who complete the program as outlined for 30 days.  

That's not to say that 27 days is not an accomplishment - it is!  And the OP should absolutely be proud of that! Plus, the ability to own up to mistakes is an important one. But gluten does affect the body, even in small amounts, and the choices made were conscious, so the OP's Whole30 was a Whole27. I'm sure there were many benefits gained and lessons learned - it's not like 27 days were wasted. No judgement, no condemnation, just fact. 

What I'm saying is by day 27, she would have known a reaction to what she ate because after 27 days (while not 30), her system was "clean" or "cleaner". With this she would have noticed if a "reintroduced" food caused a reaction or not.

So to say do a whole 57 sounded a little odd.  Now if she were on Day 8, of course! I get it.  I know you all are not judging or condemning, I was simply stating that this far in her challenge, it sounds and looks silly (to ME! and maybe a handful of others) to suggest a whole57. I might extend mine another 10-15 days but not 30.  But it's an individual's choice to do what they need to do in order to find what they were looking for out of their challenge!

• 1 year later...

What I'm saying is by day 27, she would have known a reaction to what she ate because after 27 days (while not 30), her system was "clean" or "cleaner". With this she would have noticed if a "reintroduced" food caused a reaction or not.

So to say do a whole 57 sounded a little odd.  Now if she were on Day 8, of course! I get it.  I know you all are not judging or condemning, I was simply stating that this far in her challenge, it sounds and looks silly (to ME! and maybe a handful of others) to suggest a whole57. I might extend mine another 10-15 days but not 30.  But it's an individual's choice to do what they need to do in order to find what they were looking for out of their challenge!

What a difference a year makes.   Day 57 no longer sounds odd.  :)  

Honestly, it's not preposterous at all. The program is 30 days. Now, the choice to restart is always a personal one (we're not going to come to your house and make you start over, for goodness sake!), but for many people that sense of accomplishment is important. I would also argue that folks who make conscious off-plan choices and continue with their efforts, declaring themselves to have completed a Whole30, significantly diminish the efforts of those who complete the program as outlined for 30 days.  

That's not to say that 27 days is not an accomplishment - it is!  And the OP should absolutely be proud of that! Plus, the ability to own up to mistakes is an important one. But gluten does affect the body, even in small amounts, and the choices made were conscious, so the OP's Whole30 was a Whole27. I'm sure there were many benefits gained and lessons learned - it's not like 27 days were wasted. No judgement, no condemnation, just fact. 

Lurve  this.. 

Archived