Mayo Fail - Help!

So my first attempt at making Mayo was not so good. I pretty much used up all of my olive oil and don't want it to go to waste. I think I used too much lemon juice, there really isn't much flavor at all just lemon flavor. I went with a really basic recipe, two eggs, lemon juice from one lemon, and two pinches of salt. I wanted to keep it basic, without mustard because I plan to use it to make ranch dressing, so I wanted it pretty basic. I'm second guessing that now because it is pretty much flavorless except the lemon taste. So what should I add to it to make it taste better?

I would add a teaspoon of dijon mustard - you don't really taste it, it just rounds out the flavour. I usually use juice from half of a smallish lemon for a two-egg mayo.

What do you add to make ranch dressing? I don't think it's a thing where I live, so I'm not familiar with it. Maybe try making some with your mayo as it is and see how it goes?

Also remember that if you're used to sugary commercial mayo, homemade might taste weird at first.

I think it may even be the olive oil that I am tasting too, I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil, was the only kind I could find last night at Whole Foods. My recipe said light tasting olive oil, but I wasn't sure what kind is light tasting.

Here is the site with the Ranch Dressing recipe. I'll try adding the mustard, see if that helps and like you said maybe just make up the dressing and see how that is. You might be right, I am used to store bought mayo, so I guess I should expect it to taste diffent. Thanks for the advice!

• Moderators

You have several problems. We can probably turn what you have into mayo, but it will not taste good. Light olive oil is critical. Extra virgin olive oil tastes bad in mayo. I love EVOO on food, but turned into mayo it is bitter. I have not seen light olive oil at Whole Foods. I normally buy it at a cheaper grocery store. It is cheaper and well worth it because the mayo is wonderful.

My recipe for mayo is 1 egg

1 tablespoon yellow Jamaican curry powder or mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups olive oil (light, not extra virgin)

You probably need a lot more salt and you need another flavor powder. I frequently use curry powder, but have used garlic powder and mustard powder. I use a full tablespoon because I like the flavor. You need at least 1/2 teaspoon of something to go with 1/2 teaspoon of salt to keep it from being bland.

Guest WholeStanley

When my mayo doesn't taste quite right (which even extra lime juice/paprika/cayenne pepper can't solve) I use it in recipes where the taste isn't so important - for example cooking with it. This one is my absolute favourite (I didn't have macadamia nuts so used cashews and it was still delicious)http://www.google.co.uk/url?url=http://happytexans.blogspot.com/2012/08/whole30-day-3-homemade-mayo-macadamia.html&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ei=LBGoU-_ICbGS0QW3moDYDw&ved=0CBQQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNFq-p8-mk6yMJH_U5fqdFZcVc4vIw

Somewhere long ago, I saw a recipe for mayo using avocado oil.  It took me forever to find some locally, and now that I have it, I have never used it.  Have any of you made mayo with avocado oil?  Also, I looked at the two links posted and they are using a blender and a hand mixer.  Any reason not to use a food processor?  Thanks!

Somewhere long ago, I saw a recipe for mayo using avocado oil.  It took me forever to find some locally, and now that I have it, I have never used it.  Have any of you made mayo with avocado oil?  Also, I looked at the two links posted and they are using a blender and a hand mixer.  Any reason not to use a food processor?  Thanks!

I made mayo with avocado oil once and won't do it again. Too overpowering on the avocado flavor for my palate (and I love avocados). I've heard of folks using a food processor to make mayo: you'd need to use the slowest possible speed. (likely why blenders are suggested instead, more often)

I'm not sure, but I think somewhere I saw that a food processor spins too fast to make good mayo. Keeps it from thickening or something. I've never tried it. I like the ease and quickness of my immersion blender.

I have a mini-prep, so not a full-size food processor, but it works great for mayo. I just pour the oil through the tiny vent hole in the lid while it runs on the only setting I've got (not slow, particularly). I also like avocado oil in my mayo (I've been using a very light colored, mild tasting one), mixed half and half with coconut oil it is perfection. 

I guess what I'm saying is: test a few things out. It seems everybody has a favorite method and they are all different.  :)

missmary, does the coconut oil turn the mayo to a bit of a solid? I am assuming that is why we wouldn't use all coconut oil?

I use half and half avocado oil, and I do gently melt the coconut oil before I make the mayo. I find it firmer than mayo made with just avocado or macadamia nut oil--more like store-bought mayo--not too firm at all.

Archived