runny mayo

The first time I made homemade mayo it came out perfect. Thick and creamy.  I have made it several times since with the same recipe and its creamy but too loose. and it "melts" quickly into liquid out of the fridge. I have since tried other similar recipes and I use an immersion blender as well. Still not thick. I love mayo and the first time it was perfect.

help

• Moderators

The key to thick mayo is to start with all your ingredients EXCEPT most of your olive oil/avocado oil, I start with my egg, lemon juice/AC vinegar, salt, dried mustard and 1/4 c oil. Blend just a moment. Now, start drizzling in the remaining cup or so of oil, VERRRRRRRY SLOOOOOOWLY. The slower you go, the thicker it will end up.

• Moderators

I use a stick blender and get good mayo almost every time. I no longer actually measure my oil, so when it is too runny, I have almost certainly added too much oil. When I want to make sure the mayo is thick, I use only one cup of oil and not the 1 and 1/4 cup my recipes calls for. 

To fix runny mayo, you might experiment with adding another egg, more salt, more mustard powder, and more vinegar or lemon juice. 

1 egg
1/2 teaspoon yellow Jamaican curry (or mustard powder if you are not adventurous)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups olive oil (light, not extra virgin)

I've been having similar issues with my mayo... it always starts nice and thick when I make it, but after a couple days it breaks apart within 10-20 minutes after I pull it out of the fridge.  I usually add the vinegar with the initial ingredients but I'll try adding it last and see if that helps.

Archived