pumpkin21 started 06/22

pumpkin21

This is my first go at the whole30 and i'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can make it through without any slips.  Yesterday was my first day and it went well. 

Breakfast: I had sweet potato hash with a fried egg, homemade guacamole and pico de gallo.  The hash didn't turn out the way I wanted, but it was still very good with.  Even my super picky husband enjoyed the meal (he's not doing the whole30 with me  :().  

Lunch: I had planned to make curried-apple-butternut squash soup with kabocha instead of butternut squash but went to run some errands and was too hungry.  Quickly stir fried some brussels sprouts in coconut butter, had some cherries and almond butter to hold me over.  

Dinner:  Made the mocha steak rub from It Starts with Food and stir fried a bag of left over Costco kale salad from before I stated the whole30 (the veggies were still good, but the dressing is not whole30 compliant since the first ingredient for the dressing was soy).  Had watermelon for dessert.  

**I ended up making the soup, but was too full from the steak and veggies to have any.  Bottled some for lunch and froze the extra.   

I'm on day2 now and I can feel the cravings slowly creeping up on me already.  It also doesn't help that work had leftover catered food that smells amazing.    

• Moderators

One of the best ways to defeat cravings is to consistently follow the meal planning template and eat enough at each meal: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Your breakfast was way too light on protein. Your lunch was missing protein entirely and was way too light overall. Only your supper might have been a good match to the meal template. Eating too little over time makes cravings worse. One of the best things about the Whole30 is losing weight without starving yourself. Take advantage of the process and eat more!

Guest WholeStanley

One big lesson for me during whole30 was also you don't have to try every new ingredient and every new recipe all at once

- some of the simple recipes are the best like roast chicken, baked sweet potatoes, your favourite veg sautéed - don't give yourself too much to do! It's enough that you are changing ur diet, you don't need to learn loads of recipes at the same time, you've got plenty of time to try new recipes so go easy on yourself in the first week and do prep on Sundays so you can through meals together quickly when you're hungry and don't risk slip ups/going hungry

Thanks wholestanley and tom for the advice, especially breakfast. I was so hungry on my second day when I only had an egg and salsa for breakfast. Took the advice and added more protein on day 3 and what a big difference.

Day 2

Breakfast: Fried egg with the leftover pico de gallo and guacamole. Definitely learned my lesson and need to eat more for breakfast since I was hungry about 2 hours later and had to wait another 2 hours before lunchtime. I fine that I'm struggling most with breakfast since my old habits consisted usually of either a hot pocket or oatmeal. I'm worried that I might get tired of eggs for breakfast soon and I hate smoothies. What else can I make for breakfast? (oops kinda went off rambling for a bit)

Lunch: Leftover steak and veggies with a side of the curried apple soup. Also had 2 clementines, cherries and a Pom soda.

Dinner: Marinaded some turkey breast and shrimp in a ginger lime marinade (theclothesmakethegirl.com). This is kind of similar to a honey lime marinade I use to use for fish so I'm glad that it wasn't too out of the box for me. Also made garlic cauliflower rice and roasted white yams (another familiar favorite).post-47476-0-60193100-1403675169_thumb.j

Guest WholeStanley

oo that dinner looks delicious! I have recently discovered cauliflower rice and I love it! so easy and I actually prefer it to rice - I don't know if you do this already but I add a couple of heaped tablespoons of shredded coconut to my cauliflower to make 'coconut rice', it's especially good with thai or asian dishes plus it means you know you are getting your portion of healthy fat.  (from you're log so far I have a sneaky suspicion you're not getting enough fat in your meals - a good portion of fat makes sure I don't feel hungry to my next meal, without it I'm hungry again in a couple of hours).

In terms of breakfast ideas - if I was you I would have made a double portion of your dinner and then I could have it again the next morning. But if that feels wierd at the moment let me know and I will put together some more 'breakfast food like' suggestions that will help with the transition phase!

Also well done for getting to day 3!

Thanks for the encouragements, WholeStanley!  My brother actually introduced me to cauliflower rice about a month ago before I even heard of the whole 30.  At the time I was thinking I'll just stick to rice, but funny how things work out.  Also, I would love some more breakfast ideas since I kind of getting tired of eggs and my dinner leftovers are usually saved for lunch the next day.  I'm on day 4 and had eggs for breakfast and the thought of having eggs again tomorrow for breakfast is not that appetizing.  I'm dreaming of bacon!! Hopefully I can find some compliant ones at the market soon or at least get some pork belly to hold me over.  

Day 3

Breakfast:  Made chinese steamed egg (1 whole egg+1 egg white, homemade veggie stock, scallions and sesame oil) with ground turkey cooked in sesame oil seasoned with salt and pepper.  Also had half a boiled yam.  (This was my favorite and most satisfying breakfast so far, but it takes a lot more time to prep in the morning compared to just frying an egg.  This will probably be a weekend breakfast dish)

Lunch:  Leftover turkey, white yams and cauliflower rice.  Also had 1 clementine and homemade POM soda.  

Snack:  A spoonful of almond butter and a dried date.  (I initially bought the date to add sweetness to my cooking and decided to give it a try.  OMG!!  It's so sweet and good and delicious and sweet and yummy!! I want to gobble them all up!!  It's so tempting to eat it to satisfy my sugar dragon.. must RESIST!!) 

Dinner:  Made apple turkey meatballs (used fuji apple instead of granny smith for a hint of sweetness), sauteed kale and tomatoes in garlic and olive oil.  Finished the other half of my boiled yam from breakfast.    

I'll have to work on getting more healthy fats into my meals.  It's just so hard to get into the mindset that it's ok to eat more fat when all your life you've been told that fat is bad.   

post-47476-0-87968000-1403718507_thumb.j

post-47476-0-99073200-1403718526_thumb.j

I'll have to work on getting more healthy fats into my meals.  It's just so hard to get into the mindset that it's ok to eat more fat when all your life you've been told that fat is bad.   

I have the same problem!!!  I has taken me a while, and even after 30 days, I started slacking on the fats and really saw a difference in my mood, memory and general health.  Even over 60 days in I have to remind myself to eat enough fat!

As far as breakfast ideas:  leftovers!  I also make pureed soups (carrot, butternut, zucchini, etc) to get the veg in.  Chicken sausages work well - pretty much any precooked meats....  Try the sausage seasoning in Well Fed cookbook (Italian Sausage seasoning from theclothesmakethegirl.com) and mix with ground pork.  I cook it in sausage pattys and store in the fridge.  Then, I can grab a patty when I am packing a meal, or even crumble one up on veggies for a "change up".  

Try not to think of your meals as breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Our mind has preconceived ideas of what those words mean.  Think rather, of Meal one, Meal Two, and Meal three.  It helps!

Welcome to w30!

I'm having a hard time getting protein into breakfast too - I'm not much of an egg person to begin with... I know it's just another meal but the idea of veggie soup first thing in the am isn't appealing. Maybe with time... I also have a hard time with the fat concept but I'm working on that too! I'm on Day 4 today & enjoying the discovery :)

Guest WholeStanley

i found smoked salmon quite a good breakfast protein at the beginning, because it still feels like a sort of breakfast food - check ingredient though, a lot of smoked salmon contains sugar

Thanks everyone for the great advice.  Finally got around to grocery shopping today and looking forward to the start of another week.  The last few days have been pretty rough for me.  I've been SO grumpy and moody and short tempted for the last 4 days.  Is this an extended version of killing all the thing phase?  And I started out so well too, but it all went downhill on Wednesday night when the steak I had bought on Saturday spoiled.  It completely sank my dinner and breakfast meal plans and I've been trying to stay afloat until I had time to go grocery shopping today.  

Day 4

Meal 1:  2 fried eggs (1egg+1white only), 1/4 avocado (working on adding in more healthy fats), and sauteed zucchini in olive oil.  

Meal 2:  Leftover turkey meatball with kale and tomato.  Side of curried kabocha squash and 1 clementine. 

Meal 3:  Was suppose to make ginger scallion stir fried beef, but since the meat was spoiled I fried up some pork belly (so delicious!!), cauliflower rice and stir fried baby bok choy.  

Day 5 

Meal 1:  Was suppose to have pork belly for breakfast, but since I used it up the night before I grabbed a can of tuna and mixed in some apples and homemade mayo (yuck!! i made the mayo with avocado oil and it was so gross.  tasted like raw unripened avocado).  I think the mayo made it taste so weird.  I tried to force myself to finish it, but was only able to get through half and I just couldn't eat anymore.   :(   (Just bought some walnut oil, hopefully that mayo will turn out better)

Meal 2:  This was my first time eating out since I started the whole 30 so I was kinda nervous.  Luckily my co-workers were super nice and understanding of my food restrictions and decided on Panera Bread.  Got the power steak lettuce wrap minus the pesto with extra lemon and avocado.  Tasted better than I had expected.   :)  :)

Meal 3:  Made thai green curry with coconut milk, turkey breast, carrots, red peppers and bamboo shoots (I had a pretty hard time finding compliant bamboo shoots since most of them had tons of preservatives in them).  I also seasoned the curry with anchovies and dates since I couldn't find compliant fish sauce at the asian markets (I went through the whole shelf and not a single bottle was compliant :huh:  :huh: ) and it turned out well.

Day 6:

Meal 1:  Since the disaster with the tuna and mayo the day before I went back to eggs and made 2 soft boiled eggs and 1/4 avocado.  I was out of veggies and too moody the day before to go shopping for any.

Meal 2:  Leftover thai curry from the night before plus 1 clementine and a handful of cherries.  

Snack 1:  Half and apple + spoonful of almond butter.

Sanck 2:  A handful of cashews.  (I tried to resist having another snack before dinner, but our friends were running late and I was too hungry.)

Meal 3:  This was my second time eating out and we had gone to Chipotle.  Got the salad with carnitas, gaucamole, pico de gallo and the green salsa.  

Day 7

Meal 1:  2 soft boiled eggs (I think this is my new favorite way of eating eggs  :D ), half a fried sweet potato and half an avocado.  

Meal 2:  This was more of a large snack than an actual meal but we had some friends over and things of course didn't go as planned so the only thing I had was the frozen curried kabocha squash soup I had in the freezer and a peach (so glad I made a big batch and froze some just in case).

Meal 3:  Marinade some shrimp in the leftover mocha coffee rub I made earlier in the week.  I figure it tasted great on the steak so it can't be that bad on shrimp.  Of course I was correct and the rub tasted just as good on the shrimp.  Also sauteed cabbage with a few heirloom tomatoes and fried a yellow yam.  

Guest WholeStanley

Just a quick observation - I think you're grumpy and snacking because you're hungry, it doesn't look like you are eating enough. As a quick fix I would add an extra egg (or two) to your breakfast

Archived