Almond Flour

Lady Comer

This past weekend I concocted a pizza recipe i found on a paleo website that incorporates almond flour to make the crust. I was on day 27 on Sunday andI tried some pizza for lunch. After napping, I woke up to severe stomach pains and ended up throwing up the pizza and having 25 m. interludes of running to the bathroom and making soup. I had to miss work today due to that reason. So, I just want to say beware. The only thing out of the ordinary was the almond flour and my body, almost instantly, rejected it. 

Yes, too much almond flour can cause digestive distress for sure. AND...such a pizza is not allowed during the whole30. Here's more:

Almond Flour: Yes

Yes, you can have almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour, and other non-grain-based flours, but it's context-dependent. You can use it in place of breadcrumbs in your meatballs, to dredge a piece of chicken, or to thicken a sauce or stew.  You may not use it for Paleo baking—to make muffins, pancakes, bread, cupcakes, cookies, waffles, biscuits, tortillas, pizza crust, or anything of that nature. We call those recipes Sex With Your Pants On (SWYPO) foods, and they are expressly off-limits during your Whole30.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.qP446QOC.dpuf

Generally speaking, SWYPO situations don't require a restart - we typically tell you not to have the food item again for the rest of your Whole30 and keep going. (Doesn't sound like you would eat this again anyway, given your body's reaction.  ;) )

Archived