Sylvana's whole30

sylvana

Day 1! Made it through ok so far. I'm surprised I didn't even feel the need to snack between meals! That's a super plus for me... LOL

About to go for a bike ride on my new bike which has a man seat and hurts my bottom but I know it'll be worth it in the long run. (At least til I purchase a woman's seat) ;-)

Breakfast: kale and strawberry smoothie with 2 hard boiled eggs

Lunch: leftover broiled chicken wings seasoned with organic chili powder and garlic, green salad with cucumbers and tomatoes and olive oil

Dinner: steamed artichokes with butter, Korean ribs only seasoned with garlic, chili powder and baked sweet potato plain

• Moderators

I don't think you are going to make it through day 2 or 3 not feeling a need to snack because I don't think you are eating nearly enough protein. Review the meal planning guide for how much protein and how many veggies we recommend you eat at every meal: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Two eggs is a small portion of protein. The standard is the number of eggs you can hold in one hand. Chicken wings are mostly flavor and little meat. You need at least a palm-size portion of protein at every meal - the meat, not counting the bone or skin. Maybe you ate enough ribs at dinner, but ribs can be "spare" when it comes to actual meat and I am concerned after breakfast and lunch. :)

Although not technically banned, we discourage consuming smoothies during a Whole30. Liquid foods digest faster than chewed foods and fail to offer the same satiety signals, so smoothies make it easier to overeat AND get hungry faster... not a good combination. 

Many people think they are eating more than they ever have before when they start a Whole30 and don't eat enough. The difference between the kind of foods we ask you to eat and what is more commonly consumed makes comparison difficult. 

One more food comment: Salad is often not very filling. By the time you finish chewing an enormous amount of lettuce, cucumbers, etc. there is little bulk involved. I first became familiar with this by wilting kale or chard in a wok. Four big handfuls of greens hardly makes a full serving of veggies when cooked down. That is what salad is like when you have chewed it. We actually need more than a few bites of veggies at a meal, so you have to eat a lot of salad to get enough. 

You're right I just finished reading the "it starts with food" book last night and read about the smoothies. I also read that I was supposed to have clarified butter not real butter with my artichokes. Would this constitute a restart? I was wondering why I was a little gassy last night after clearing out all food I thought I was supposed to.

Anyway today I started off on a different foot. I could hardly move out of bed and thought I was going to fall asleep in the shower. Not fun.

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs in coconut oil, handful tomatoes and half an avocado.

Lunch: one large handful of roasted chicken I baked the night before (it was almost burnt by the time I got home from my bike ride). Two cups of lettuce with 1/3rd sliced cucumbers and handful of tomatoes and olive oil.

Dinner: Shepards pie with hamburger cooked in olive oil, cauliflower mashed with Ghee and canned coconut milk, sautéed onions, zuchini and portobello mushrooms.

Now I'm off to Zumba and still don't have much energy but I'll improvise without too much shakin!

Ok made it through day 3!  I have a headache and still a little gassy.  weird because i thought that would go away once i eliminated all the junk.  I'm not going to work out tonight, I'm going to bed early.  My shepards pie wasn't that good last night because I'm still getting used to the taste of Ghee... not a fan, but I'm not going to start over because I used regular butter.  I'm also trying to force the food down my throat that I cook and don't really enjoy but fail to finish my plate, only to find myself hungry again in a few hours.  This weekend I'm going to experiment with some new recipes (whole 30).

Breakfast:

3 eggs fried in coconut oil, sautéed Kale and portabella mushroom

Lunch:

Leftover Shepards pie :-/  ick

Dinner:

I stir fried steak in olive oil, added organic stewed tomatoes and onions with chili powder and garlic

Organic green beans cooked in ghee

I fried sweet potatoes sliced like I would with regular potatoes and they were awesome.  Good TexMex style dinner

Fresh guacamole with avocado, lime, sea salt and jalapeno

If you find you are hungry within a couple hours of eating,increase you fat content of your meal.... Avocado, olives, nuts, etc.

Also, raw veg can make some people gassy and bloated. Try more cooked veg until your body adjusts

Thanks for the feedback Glennr and Kmlynee!  I took your advice and I'm adding more fat!

Today I almost burnt the house down while trying to heat up oil in 2 different pans for eggs and sweet potatoes and running to my room to finish putting on makeup.  Needless to say for the 5 minutes of time I thought I was saving, I spent 20 minutes airing out the house and had to heat up leftover chicken and artichokes in the microwave instead.  I added grapes and pecans after the meal because I knew I didn't get much in after the rush.

Breakfast: 2 chicken legs, 1/2 artichoke, grapes, pecans

Lunch:  Tex mex steak and tomatoes leftovers with green beans, carrots and pecans

Dinner: Did a do-over of the fried sweet potatoes and baked halibut (which I had the pleasure of catching last weekend) and a big salad with green peppers and carrots with avocado oil drizzled over it.

I wound up eating the sweet potato before Zumba since my halibut took longer than expected, then ate the rest after my workout.

Today I felt foggy brained, oh yeah and I had a cup of black coffee in there to try to clear my head up, but it didn't help much.  UGGGHHH when will I feel smart again?  probably after I learn not to multitask while cooking LOL

I'm not digging the taste of ghee either. I really expect it to taste just like butter, but it's doesn't. I'm liking the extra virgin coconut oil a lot more and using it often. 

I'm definitely going through some brain fog as well. Here's looking towards energy returning in another week! 

starxlr8 I find that if I don't use too much of it then it's not so bad anymore. I just can't soak my artichokes in it like it's real butter... :(

Day 5 is down and I'm proud to say the brain fog has almost gone away completely.  I still didn't want to get out of bed this morning, but not because I wasn't awake... really because I didn't want to go to work!  I had plenty of energy and was able to make it between meals with only snacking once.  I worked out in a cardio dance class but definitely struggled towards the end.  I was bright red and sweaty by the time I left.  Now I'm broiling some food for dinner and the weekend.

Breakfast:

Organic green bell pepper generously stuffed with ground Hemplers natural sausage with tomatoes, onions, garlic, spices and jalapeño cooked in avocado oil

Lunch:

Leftover baked Halibut with sweet potatoes and a handful of pecans

Dinner:

Eating the other generously stuffed green pepper since my boyfriend went and bought himself sub sandwiches and toxic chicken wings on $5 special at the store.  So I will eat his stuffed green pepper for him and try a few chicken wings that I'm cooking up for tomorrow.

Today is day 7! Woohoo I made it 25% of the way!

Yesterday I was so busy with canoeing and bike riding and house cleaning I didn't have a chance to post meals so here they are:

Breakfast: 3 eggs cooked in avocado oil and a heaping amount of homemade pico de gallo over the top and fried sweet potatoes.

Lunch: plateful of power greens from Costco with home marinated carne asada slices over it and avocado.

Snack: handful of macadamia nuts and a few cherries ( all that getting canoe in and out of water built up an appetite after early lunch)

Dinner: lettuce and board head turkey (natural) wrap with cherries and avocado.

Day 7

Breakfast:

Two hard boiled eggs, melon, coffee, pecans

Lunch: 6 chicken wings, lettuce wraps with leftover skirt steak and pico de gallo

Dinner: bowl of homemade soup with beef, chilies, tomato paste and cabbage

Snack: macadamia nuts

Day 8 woohoo I'm over 25% there! Last night was Sunday and I spent most day on couch in between prepping whole 30 meals. I had a craving for chocolate so I had some macadamias and go raw cocoa cookies. It definitely triggered a binge session so I'm going to avoid snacking as much as possible. I'm traveling too this week and I'm scared that I'll have a lot of temptations with not much for compliant foods. I'll stick with it though because my motivation is full force right now and I'm not gonna let myself crash!

Breakfast: 3 eggs fried in avocado oil with heaping portion of pico de gallo

Lunch: chili menudo soup with beef chunks and chopped cabbage

Snack: coconut chips with vinegar and sea salt

Dinner:. My first chicken curry stir fry, all I can't say is WOW YUMMY!

Day 9 is almost over. For some reason I'm noticing phlegm in my throat and my ears are popping like there may be fluid in them. I don't know if this is a sign of my body cleaning things out or if I'm just having a case of seasonal allergies. Anyone else having these symptoms?

Breakfast: leftover chicken curry with asparagus

Lunch: steak shrimp steamed broccoli and baked sweet potato

Snack: cherries

Dinner: London broil, green beans and sweet potato with pecans

Day 10 is complete! I'm 1/3rd of the way there! I'm actually feeling good and energized. Still phlegmy but good.

Breakfast: two eggs fried in coconut oil with leftover London broil and pico de gallo salsa

Lunch: leftover chicken curry with zucchini and asparagus

Dinner: lettuce wrapped London broil with guacamole

So far I've been keeping up with food preparation and all the leftovers make for quick meals. Tomorrow is the beginning of my 5 day vacation to Montana. Excited and serious about remaining Whoke 30 compliant

So far I've been keeping up with food preparation and all the leftovers make for quick meals. Tomorrow is the beginning of my 5 day vacation to Montana. Excited and serious about remaining Whoke 30 compliant

You can stay compliant on a trip - it just takes planning! Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

We'll I derailed on the first day of my trip and was off of whole 30 for 9 days. By the time I got back and settled in from my trip it was difficult getting into the mindset for a restart. I'm finishing out day 1 and my heartburn has almost gone completely away and it had plagued me all week. Unfortunately I have a headache (sugar withdrawal) that's lasted all day but I'm confident it won't last more than a few days.

Restart Day 1!

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled with spinach in coconut oil

Lunch: chicken breast cooked in olive oil with spinach, butter lettuce, cilantro, tomatoes and olive oil dressing

Dinner: grass fed pot roast with organic green beans and sweet potato fries fried in avocado oil DELISH !

Restart Day 2! My heartburn and acid reflux is completely gone and so is the headache, woohoo!

Breakfast: scrambled eggs in coconut oil with sautéed pepper and chopped tomatoes with sweet potato fries

Lunch: chicken breast with sliced cucumbers

Pre workout meal: 3 chicken drumsticks (broiled)

1/2 hour Zumba and 20 min stretching

Post workout meal: fried sweet potatoes and leftover pot roast with homemade salsa

Restart Day 3! Have a little bit of a headache this evening. I didn't get much sleep last night because of crazy neighborhood, but I'll make sure I'm in bed early tonight.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with chopped tomatoes and peppers, leftover sliced sweet potatoes, homemade salsa

Lunch: chicken breast with celery and 2 figs

Dinner: pork chops cooked in avocado oil with cauliflower rice. So happy to report that my family loved it! The hardest part about sticking with change is when friends and family don't enjoy my cooking. I take pride in cooking, so it's a BIG plus for me when they love my whole30 meals.

Restart day 4! Had a great day and my concentration and focus seem to be a little more sharp.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with tomatoes and salsa, sweet potatoes fried in avocado oil

Lunch: leftover pork chops and cauliflower rice

Dinner: pork chop and sweet potatoes

Zumba workout for a hour and came home so not hungry I couldn't make myself eat

Alright made it to Day 6!  Was too busy the evening of my 5th day that I didn't get a chance to post meals.  So here's a double...  Yesterday I felt good.  I knew i was coming up on the weekend and that it was going to be a rough one without being planned around food.  

Day 5 breakfast: 3 eggs cooked in Ghee (hated the smell and could barely get 2 down), sliced cucumbers

lunch:  salad with avocado, bean sprouts, grass fed buffalo burger

dinner:  New york steak, fingerling potatoes, broccoli, and carrots (according to whole 30 fb, potatoes are now allowed on plan)

Day 6 breakfast: 3 eggs cooked in avocado oil (much better) with homemade salsa,  americano

lunch:  3 broiled chicken leggs, macadamia nuts, 2 Go Raw flax seed banana snacks

dinner: cocoa chili from 'well fed" recipe book (best chili I've ever made!)  even my son loved it!  again a winner with the kids!

No workouts today and very crabby this morning until I had my coffee...

Made it through day 8.  Had a rough weekend but managed to stay compliant.  Definitely felt like Kill all things was full force on days 6 and 7.  

Day 7 breakfast: Pecans (didn't have time to eat before church)

Lunch:  Scrambled eggs with "true story" sweet basil organic sausage and salsa

Dinner:  Pad Thai with spaghetti squash from "Well Fed" recipe book

Snack: Cherries and macadamia nuts

Day 8 breakfast:  2 fried eggs with sweet basil sausage

Lunch:   grilled sirloin steak, broccoli, grilled shrimp and sweet potato

Dinner:   Beef stew with celery, carrots, onions and grass fed beef

Snack:    Cherries and macadamia nuts               

Day 9 is officially down! I'm a third of the way through my whole30 and feeling better already.

Breakfast: pork side and a nectarine

Lunch: leftover pad Thai with spaghetti squash

Snack: pecans

Dinner: chili with jicama, grass fed beef and tomatoes

Snack: macadamia nuts

I've made it to day 12. Today I went to the dentist and my mouth is so sore I can't eat. My stomach is grumbling a lot too! I managed to get a breakfast of eggs, spinach and "true story" organic sausage... I'll have to cook something soft like a turkey sweet potato mash.

Archived