A couple various questions

Abby

Hey everyone, I'm on Day 30 of my second Whole30...a little late in the game to be asking questions, but there are some things I'm curious about this time around.

First off, I have done this whole30 with conventional, supermarket meats. We live in a very small town and getting grass-fed, organic is not in our budget or within convenient distance for us. I'm wondering if that may have somewhat of an affect on this whole30, but we have done everything "right." My first question is about what's happening in the gym. I am not a terribly active person unfortunately, but I work out 2-4 times a week, moderate intensity. I notice when I am on a whole30 that my muscles are very weak when I work out. It seems like I can't lift hardly anything or "push" my muscles without them getting completely fatigued...not muscle spasms or cramps, just super, super fatigued immediately. This makes me wonder what's up, since your gym performance is supposed to be better eating this way. I should mention that I have been extremely sporadic with my fish oil and magnesium supplements this time around.

Also, I just am not really seeing results. I have not weighed myself and have no intention on doing so for the next couple of days before I start reintro, but there are some things that just don't add up to me. I do most everything right by the program, but I have never had stellar results. I was mostly hoping to improve constant sinus issues (congestion, postnasal drip), have lots more energy, and get up more easily in the morning. I haven't noticed any of this and I just feel tired, not waking up refreshed. I'm not tired throughout the day, but I just never seem to get enough sleep, even though I'm sleeping about 8 hours a night. My skin may be clearing a little, and I'm not craving, so I'll take that...but does anybody have any suggestions?

I am a huge supporter of the whole30 and I won't give up because I'm not seeing results...I just want to be able to spread the good food word with some legit credibility haha ;) I was unable to do the reintro last time around, so I'm looking forward to finding out some things about my body and the way it handles these food groups in the next couple weeks! Thanks for any suggestions!

I have some of the same questions…I am on Day 21 and feeling tired all the time, very little energy even with 8 hours of sleep. Was hoping for some of the better sleep/increased energy results I always hear about! Any suggestions would be helpful :)

Guest WholeStanley

Could you share a couple of days of your food log? Including water intake, pre and post workout, hours sleep and activity levels? It might help people when they are giving suggestions

I would also add that whilst it starts with food, it rarely ends there so there may be some other factors at play here

I agree with WholeStanley....post a couple of days of your food.

My first thought was.....starchy veggies.  Are you eating them daily?  I feel lousy and incredibly weak when I omit them.  And at certain times during my cycle, I need even more than 1 serving/day.

My second thought was....fats.  Are you eating at least the template recommendation with every meal?

Way to go on finishing your 2 whole 30's. 

Starchy carbs are a must - especially on workout days.

Are you having a pre and post work out meal?  These do help.  You want to make sure your pre workout meal is at minimum a protein and a fat (yes even at 5 am in the morning - you just want to signal your body that it's go time).  Your post workout should be at minimum protein, or protein plus carby veg.  No or minimal fats.

Keep us posted!

Also remember that everyone's body is different and yours might need longer than 30 days to come alive, so to speak. Could you perhaps extend a bit longer until you do start to feel some results?

Thanks WholeStanley! That's a good thing to keep in mind, there very well could be something going on that isn't food related, who knows. I can give a good general idea of what I eat and my daily habits, since it doesn't change too much day to day:

- I sleep approximately 8 hours a night, give or take just a little bit, falling asleep has been hard lately and I've been rolling around all night

- I work out 2-4 days a week for about an hour at a time. I never eat a pre-workout meal because 1) I don't think I'm working "hard enough" to warrant a mini meal when I'll just eat supper afterwards anyway, and 2) I do yoga, and if I eat, it can tend to make me feel a little sick with food sloshing around in my belly.

- I usually get about 100 oz. of water a day, I fill up a 44 oz cup twice and usually have 1 La Croix at lunch.

- Usual breakfast: 2 eggs (cooked in duck fat or pig lard) with avocado/tomatillo sauce, and sweet potato. If I feel like the sauce isn't enough of a fat source, I will eat a little bit of coconut butter or some cashews to round it out.

- Usual lunch: 1 large beef patty + olive oil mayo, avocado/tomatillo sauce, onions, sauerkraut, and a spinach salad with some of the mayo and avocado tomatillo sauce. Maybe a piece of fruit if I have "room" for it.

- Dinner tends to vary a little bit...lately it's been either grilled chicken or some sort of fish for my protein, broccoli with tomato sauce, and usually I work the olive oil mayo in there somewhere for the fat. Raspberries and blueberries afterwards.

I will admit that my fat sources have been heavy on the olive oil mayo lately, once you make a big batch you gotta keep eating it so it doesn't go bad! I haven't been nearly as adventurous with this whole30...I know what works now, so I try to keep meals pretty simple. I've realized I may have a slight sensitivity to avocado (bummer!), as sometimes it makes my stomach just slightly uncomfortable after I eat it, but I've been overdoing it with those a little lately, too. Sweet potatoes are my main source of starchy veggies, occasionally we will have butternut squash, but what are some other good starchy suggestions? 

As far as activity levels, I work a desk job and I sit so much it's disgusting. I go to a yoga class on Mondays, and then I do home workouts throughout the week periodically, some of them are hard for me, some are more stretching/meditation.

Thanks for the help :) 

Abby, My favorite starchy veggies (other than sweet potatoes & butternut squash) are turnips, rutabaga, and beets. I shred the turnips and rutabagas and make a breakfast hash using this recipe http://nomnompaleo.com/post/19886925277/sweet-potato-hash-with-fried-eggs I double it and it lasts me several days. It's amazing with a couple of fried eggs on top. My favorite way to eat beets is in a beet salad (I love the Well Fed 2 version).

Other starchy veggie ideas include carrots and parsnips.

There are lots of other squashes....acorn, delicata, spaghetti that are all good too.

I haven't tried kohlrabi yet, but I've read others on the forum shred them or make oven baked fries similar to sweet potatoes.

I had the exact same thing with feeling really weak during workouts on the whole30, and weirdly at the very end it went away! I continued the whole30 afterwards and have got all my energy back and have had some great workouts! My thoughts were, maybe it was a bit in my mind? Maybe it was my body adapting to the whole 30? Or maybe it was just a coincidence. I rested loads as i thought this was a sign of what my body needed. So stick with it and hopefully you'll be back to normal!

Thank you guys! Snowflower...I've never actually tried turnips or rutabagas...my first beet experience was not too long ago lol. I'm a food virgin in some aspects, used to have a huge aversion to veggies. Not now :) 

Archived