Day #8 - NO energy at strange times

I'm not surprised that I have no energy because I'm just not, but it's at the strangest time for the last two days. During lunch time when I ALWAYS work out for 30-45 minutes. Then I get a burst of energy at 6/7 pm when I'm usually done for the day. I think I read in the book that it's okay NOT to work out on extremely low energy days.  Here are my meals from yesterday and today.

yesterday

Meal 1; zuchini scramble cooked in ghee (zucchini, sweet potatoes, bell peppers, onions, garlic and mushrooms) cup and a half with 2 eggs cooked in ghee.

Meal 2; spaghetti squash (tsp. ghee added) with broccoli, bells and onions with ground chicken and homemade tomato sauce.

banana with four slices of turkey bacon - cause i was hungry

Meal 3; zucchini scrambel  4 slices of turkey bacon

100 ounces of water - mowed the yard for 30 minutes at around 6

today

Meal 1; zuchini scramble cooked in ghee (zucchini, sweet potatoes, bell peppers, onions, garlic and mushrooms) cup and a half with 2 eggs cooked in ghee.

Meal 2 Ground chicken, spaghetti squash, 1/2 tomato, 1/2 avocado and roasted carrots.

might snack on bunch of grapes gonna try not too.

Meal 3 - chicken breast, broccoli, 1/2 avocado and tomatoes

Meal times are 8 am, noon, and 7 pm.

Hey there.

It looks like you are not getting enough protein in your first meal.  2 eggs is honestly not that much.  If you use eggs as your sole protein, it should be the amount of eggs you can hold in 1 hand. For most people that is 3 or 4.

It is very important that you get enough protein and fat first thing in the morning as not enough will set you up for being hungry later.  Hence why you feel "snacky":in the afternoon.

If you need a snack - meaning you are seriously hungry (a good gauge for this is if you are hungry enough to eat the plainist meal ever - think steamed fish and broccoli) then eat.  Your snack should look like a mini meal - some protein, veg, and fat - think maybe a couple of slices of chicken breast, 6 olives, and some slices of sweet peppers or carrots.  Try to stay away as fruit as being your sole snack. 

Also another thought - please be sure to check if your turkey bacon is compliant.  I have yet to find a complaint bacon, let alone turkey bacon.  (proscuito has been my stand in)

Good luck!!!

How many days into the program are you?  

I agree that you can add more protein at breakfast -- also, I think your overall fat may look kind of skimpy.  I use a full tablespoon of ghee with my FOUR eggs in the morning.  

Your meal 2 says you added 1 teaspoon of ghee.  I think it should be 3x that.  Ground chicken is not a fatty meat, generally.

Your meal 3 is probably light on fat, also.  Turkey bacon has almost none.

Feel free to eat a whole avocado with your chicken breast meal if you feel like you need it.

Depending on what your nutrition looked like before, this may be a drastic change for your body.  Maybe share what you used to eat in the mornings before a workout vs. what you are having now.  That may help us pinpoint what you could do differently, or help explain the adjustment your body is having to make now.

I'm on Day 8. I can use more Ghee.  I usually eat fresh bacon from the butcher, but they closed before I could get there.  Before Whole30, breakfast was either oatmeal with berries and a tablespoon of pecans OR two boiled eggs and toast. I mostly ate my grains at breakfast or lunch NOT Dinner. The two mornings I tried to eat 3 eggs I became ill, so that'as why it's only 2. I need more breakfast ideas, so I did order Well Fed & Well Fed 2 from library, because I'm getting burnt out. Eliminating fruits will take some time for me. This is my first round and I am going from 5 meals down to 3 AND eliminating fruits.  BABY STEPS LOL

So your body is used to running on a lot carbs for that exercise.  Your goal now is to be able to tap into your fat stores for energy.  There will be an adjustment period.

You say your work out at lunch time -- so is that before or after you eat lunch?  What type of workouts are you doing?  

If you are choosing to eliminate fruits, that is your choice -- no one here is telling you to do that.  Just, if you are going to have fruit, have them as part of a meal.  And ideally, NOT before a workout.  Later in the day would be better.

Yes, I usually do but the Day 7 & 8 I had no energy so I didn't.  I usually eat a post workout of protein & carb - 1/2 chicken breast & 1/2 baked potato or Tuna and tomatoes. Then eat Meal 2 (lunch) hour or so after that.  I didn't mean eliminate fruit, but I am eating it directly after a meal, not necessarily within the meal (ie, pork chops with apples) but about 1 hour after. I'm going to try to steer away from the fruit as a snack this next week and replace with protein & veg and see how it goes. Thanks for input.

Just one quick note...the baked potato is a sweet potato right? I agree with everyone else that you should work on increasing your protein and fat intake and don't stress too much about your workouts right now. When I went paleo I had a serious bonk the first two weeks and my runs felt like garbage. Once my body adjusted though it was amazing.

Yes, sweet potato.  I haven't had a white potato since February or March.  And I don't miss it.  I had a TOOOOONNNNN of energy when I woke up. Was able to work through the fruit this am. My workout was okay, not at my best, but I did it. I'm not mentally foggy today if that makes sense. 

Archived