Can't Quench My Thirst

I am almost done with Day 4 and doing fine with the food. It's not easy, but it's not brutal. I like not having a carb hangover from my meals. 

My biggest problem is beverages. I've been drinking primarily Diet Coke for decades (4-5 cans a day), and sometimes had coffee (with cream and splenda), low cal lemonade, or some orange juice. 

On Whole30 I've been trying to drink icy cold water, iced herbal tea, and even the La Croix sparkling waters. I really really don't like any of them and never feel my thirst being quenched. My mouth feels so dry.

Has anyone been through this and can tell me it gets better or that there is a magical drink I haven't tried yet? And also, did you go back to Diet Coke post-Whole30 or have you stayed soda-free?

• Moderators

I don't remember ever having a problem with plain water, but I know I like plain water a lot now. My guess is that you will adjust to water after a while and be happy with it. 

I was a steady soda drinker pre-Whole30. As in I drank several cases per week. Diet Coke was common, but I drank others too. I have never drunk another soda since I began my first Whole30 in May 2010. Haven't been tempted and actually had not really thought about it in all these years. 

My sister-in-law was a HUGE Diet Coke drinker before her Whole30 last summer.  She's now been off it for a year (her drink of choice is now unsweetened iced tea).

I mentioned kombucha and fruit-infused water elsewhere as other options.  

Someone else mentioned fruit-infused water they made on another thread. http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/20063-try-this-watermelon-water/  You can also make it with pineapple, cantaloupe, honeydew - lots of possibilities. 

Unsweet tea is a favorite of mine too - plus if you're used to coffee, that would help a tiny bit with any caffeine withdrawal you're experiencing. Kombucha is also a great idea. Whole Foods carries it; if you decide you really like it, it's easy and much cheaper to make your own - there's a whole thread here with great info.

I drank a decent amount of Coke Zero pre-Whole30 - not as many as you're used to, but several a week. I haven't had any in almost a year. For me, it was mainly the bubbles! So La Croix or Trader Joe's sparkling water suits me fine. I think I've had two "real" Cokes in that time. The drinks you listed had a lot of artificial sweeteners, so it may just take some time to adjust.

Thanks for the encouragement and anecdotes about giving up soda successfully. I will give the watermelon water a try. 

I will see if our bigger grocery or the health food store carries kombucha. We don't have Whole Foods or Trader Joe's here unfortunately. 

I am also a major diet coke drinker, have been meaning to cut back for some time and figured now was as good a time as any! I also miss my morning coffee as I can't stomach the stuff black (usually add some whole milk so that's out). Green tea has helped in the mornings for the warm beverage ritual and I've been alternating between flat and fizzy water. Haven't tried the la croix ones but I find that I like my fizzy water SUPER fizzy - I don't know if that might make a difference. Some are just not very bubbly IMO. Good luck kicking the "sauce"!

I wasn't a huge soda drinker, but I got tired of water and tea, so I decided to try La Croix. I remember I hated the first 12 pack, lol. But I kept drinking it, and now it's a nice change when I don't want water or tea.

I'm pretty sure I've seen kombucha at my local Kroger, in the health food section, so hopefully you'll be able to find some where you are. :)

I was a huge diet Coke drinker.  It was my drink of choice when I was thirsty (except during exercise where the carbonation bothered me).  I tried to give it up all the time but always found my way back to it.

My first Whole30 was the first time I not only gave up diet Coke, but also all other artificial sweeteners.  I think that was the game-changer for me.  After 30 days, I was soooo looking forward to my first diet Coke and wow, was that a disappointment.  It tasted AWFUL!  I was shocked because all the other times I'd given it up (sometimes for months at a time), I always found it still tasted great when I went back to it.  It was a major disappointment to me at first but then I realized it was actually a blessing.

Now I no longer drink it.  In fact, I don't drink any soda at all and 98% of sweetened drinks taste funny to me.  And when I'm thirsty, all I ever want is water.  Nothing else quenches it at all.  I think that you just need to soldier through and you'll adjust.  It takes time but you'll get there!  Now when I'm craving a drink with flavor, unsweetened iced tea or iced coffee are my go-to's.

I gave up soda before the whole 30.  Tea works, seltzer and a little fruit juice too.  I wish you so much luck with it!  The thing that keeps me off it is knowing that now my husband's hands don't shake.  Diet soda was doing that to him!  Right now I'm sipping peppermint tea and hoping my stomach settles.

http://www.pukkaherbs.com/wwf-peppermint-licorice.html

is tonights choice.

Archived