Low Calorie Intake...

Are you truly "eating all day"? The recommendation is 3 meals, with each meal satiating you 4-5 hours.

Can you post your food log since you started, including daily water consumption and exercise? Folks here can give you feedback on possible tweaks.

... and step away from calorie counting: it's most freeing. 

Yeah, don't bother counting calories for the next 30 days. Just focus on eating according to the meal template and making sure you're feeling full and satiated from one meal to the next. 

I'm curious about what you mean by "eating all day." Whole30 encourages you to try to stick to three main meals. If you need to snack in the meantime until you've adjusted to this schedule, try to make it the snack a mini-meal. What you are discouraged from doing is grazing, eating small portions throughout the day. 

If you'd like to have your meals reviewed, you can list 2-3 days worth of your meals (as well as your water intake, hours or sleep, and physical activities to help give a rounded picture). People can then make suggestions on tweaking your Whole30 if necessary.

I should have clarified. I started counting calories because I was getting dizzy and felt that I probably wasn't eating enough. I'm not aiming for a certain goal except the fact that I need MORE. haha

I try not to snack. It seemed my only "snacks" were an apple because I was hungry and could eat it on the run, and the frozen banana was to stop an ice cream craving. I've eaten paleo really successfully before but fell off the bandwagon about a year ago.

On my highest calorie day of the last 3, here is what I consumed:

Breakfast:

2 hard boiled eggs, 1 yolk (I hate yolks)

Bacon

Blueberries

Raspberries

Lunch:

Strawberry poppyseed salad from Panera w/o Dressing

(Consists of free range chicken, strawberry, orange, pineapple, blueberries I believe)

Dinner:

Chicken breast marinaded with garlic and lime

Asparagus sautéed in butter

Snacks:

Iced green tea unsweetened

Apple & Almond butter (1 tbsp)

Frozen Banana and almond butter (2 tbsp)

Take a look at the meal template linked above and FOLLOW IT. This will give you enough calories.

Thanks for posting your food. There are a few things to tweak to get the most out of the plan. So far, you have too much fruit and not enough everything else. The fruit and almond butter will strengthen sugar cravings, not kill them. The best thing to do for a sugar craving is to eat savory fatty foods. AND, I'm sorry to tell you, but the chicken from panera* is not compliant. Avoid that for the rest of your whole30. Butter is also not compliant. If you want a buttery flavor, clarified butter or ghee (where dairy proteins are removed) will work.

Take a look at the program guidelines, those, together with the meal template, are the key to doing the whole30. Good luck!

http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

*panera chicken salad ingredients: Romaine lettuce, citrus & pepper chicken (antibiotic free all natural boneless skinless chicken breast fillets with rib meat, water, seasoning [lemon, mangosteen, natural smoke flavor], sea salt, dehydrated garlic, dehydrated onion, sugar, dry lemon peel, spices, dehydrated rosemary, dehydrated basil, citric acid, malic acid and paprika for flavor, vinegar, rice starch), fresh strawberries, mandarin oranges (mandarin segments, water, sugar, citric acid), fresh pineapple, fat free poppyseed dressing (water, dried cane syrup, distilled vinegar, orange juice concentrate, contains less than 2% of dehydrated onion, cellulose gel and cellulose gum, poppy seeds, salt, xanthan gum, mustard flour, rebaudioside A [a non-nutritive sweetener from stevia], natural flavor), fresh blueberries, oil roasted pecans (pecans, cottonseed oil).

Guest WholeStanley

wow you really aren't eating enough! I don't know how you're getting through the day, especially if thats your highest calorie day. If I was eating that much I think I would either be constantly hangry with EVERYONE or napping under my desk from exhaustion.

I'm sure others, and mods, will weigh in but here are my initial observations:

BREAKFAST

- You didn't eat any veggies at all - you should be aiming for 2-3 cups of veggies every meal. My suggestions: add some sauteed greens, kale or spinach and a baked sweet potato

- Add some fat - for example half an avocado, some cashews, coconut flakes/oil

- I think you could up your protein as well, 3 eggs at a minimum would be best I think (especially if you are ditching the yolks) (also check the bacon ingredients, i have never been able to find compliant bacon)

- If that seems like too much food - ditch the fruit

LUNCH

-Again I don't see any veggies, add some in! They should really be making up the bulk of your meal

- Remember fruit servings should be limited to 1-2 a day, I didn't eat any fruit during my first whole30 and would really recommend trying that

DINNER

- Is your butter clarified?

- Also cooking fats don't count as your fat portion as they mostly stay in the pan so I would add more fat to this meal, maybe in the form of a handful of olives?

- Add some starchy veg! You didn't have any all day - are you avoiding this for a reason? Get some beets, parsnips, carrots or squash on your plate as well

SNACKS

- Your meals should fill you up for 4-5 hours, if they don't and you need to snack then you know you need to readjust what you're eating and your portion sizes.

-Whilst you are figuring out your meal sizes and if you do get hunrgy (i.e you could eat plain chicken and brocolli) then your snacks should also follow the template (i.e. have protein, fat and veggies) - try a couple of boiled eggs, with avocado and pepper crudites, or swap the eggs for some tuna if you don't like eggs

Hope that helps! Good luck with the rest of your days!

Thank you for your guys' opinions. Just so you know I am eating clarified butter, MissMary. It sucks that that panera salad isn't compliant. I had assumed that they would just put fruit in there without additives but clearly I was wrong. The only reason I ate out is because I had a working lunch and it was that or nothing, otherwise I don't like the risk of buying food with additives.

WholeStanley - Thank you! I knew I wasn't eating enough, and since I start back into crossfit next week I know I really need to get it under control so that I don't wreck my body from too little food and high intensity training. I think I'm having a hard time eating veggies on the go, and I'm usually only home for a quick breakfast and dinner (not even always home for dinner). I was probably leaning toward fruit because its easier to take a banana or apple than it is some veggies. I'll have to focus more on prepping those to get enough into my diet. My biggest issue is that after these meals I feel full. I don't feel deprived of anything and I guess I will have to force myself to eat more than I necessarily want in order to get the right nutrients.

How do you add coconut oil into a meal? I'm trying to find ways to get my fat in as well. I didn't even think about NOT counting my cooking fat. 

Looks like I need to go shopping (again)!

• Moderators

If you bake or roast sweet potatoes over the weekend, you can have enough for several days that you just need to reheat (or even eat cold). You can also put sweet potatoes in the crockpot overnight to cook so they'll be ready in the morning (here's instructions -- just ignore that she's using regular potatoes, it's the same thing for sweet potatoes.)   Baked sweet potatoes topped with coconut oil or ghee or macadamia nut oil are yummy, that's one way to add some fat to a meal.

You might consider egg muffins or crustless quiches -- they're easy to make ahead and tasty warm or cold, and you can include both protein and some of your veggies in them. I usually use a mix of meat and eggs for proteins in mine, and base my serving size on getting at least 2 eggs' worth + a couple ounces of meat -- if you don't put meat in them, try to get three eggs' worth, or more -- a serving of eggs is as many as you can hold in your hand (that's before you break them and cook them). You can make them with any vegetables you like. I usually base mine around sweet potatoes and also add spinach or broccoli or cauliflower or zucchini, or some mix of those, but truly any vegetables you like will work. 

Other fat sources could include olives, avocados (for some that's easy to take with you, check out Wholly Guacamole brand -- their classic flavor guacamole should be compliant, or was last time I looked anyway, and sometimes you can find their Wholly Avocado, which is just avocado -- nice for when all the avocados at the grocery store are too squishy or hard as rocks) and of course mayo (I use this recipe and it's always worked for me). If you have salads, you can dress them with olive oil and either vinegar or citrus juice, or you can make salad dressings, there are tons of recipes out there, just find ones that sound good to you. Bacon is actually a fat source, so if you've found compliant bacon, you can cook it and crumble it on salads or baked sweet potatoes or really any vegetable -- bacon makes everything better, right? 

If you need ideas for prepping vegetables and such, this post from The Clothes Make the Girl may be helpful. And as far as shopping -- you'll probably do a lot of that over the next couple of weeks as you figure out that how much of everything you need to get through a week (hint: you probably have to buy tons more vegetables than you would ever think you'd need). 

jaclynalyse, if you HAVE to eat out at Panera, order off of their hidden menu.  They do not have anything posted in the restaurant (not sure why...  <_< ) but it is available online.

https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/articles/access-into-paneras-hidden-menu.html

Leave out the pesto, bacon, hummus options and they should all be compliant.

jaclynalyse, if you HAVE to eat out at Panera, order off of their hidden menu.  They do not have anything posted in the restaurant (not sure why...  <_< ) but it is available online.

https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/articles/access-into-paneras-hidden-menu.html

Leave out the pesto, bacon, hummus options and they should all be compliant.

Sorry, but I don't think any of these is compliant. The steak and turkey bowls contain wheat starch and the chicken ones include sugar.

The power mediterranean turkey salad doesn't contain wheat starch, but you'd need to order it without the pepperoncini to be compliant.  (The pepperoncini contains sulfites.)

The power steak lettuce wraps, ordered without the pesto (dairy), would be compliant.

MissMary is correct on the power breakfast egg bowl not being compliant due to the wheat starch, and any chicken dishes not being compliant due to sugar in the seasoning.

See all details for yourself here (Panera now calls the hidden menu the Power Menu): click on an individual item to get access to the Full Nutrition Details. https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/featured-menu/power-menu.html

Archived