Family of 3 Starting July 7th

SonnyBelle

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

marinscb - here is a very helpful article!! based on what I read it here, I think you are good to keep going :) 
http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

and thanks for the idea, I do not usually make spices/sauces from scratch, so this is a big learning curve. 

Another good day. Finished up some leftovers and tried spiral yellow squash & zucchini fritters. I have 2 more days on the weeks food budget so I am gonna get creative with what is in the house. I have learned so much this week about what we really need for a week and what we don't. Glad to not be going to the grocery store for a couple days before we start all over. 

We are 
1/4 way done!! WELL DONE and press on into a new week!! Sleep well :) 

Marinscb- I think you're ok, just ate a small amount. Hang in there!

If you are looking for spice blends, try Spice Hunters brand. Good combos & fun trying new things.

If you are looking for some good recipes check out Melissa Joulwan's Well Fed. She has some good "master" recipes. Cook the meat have it ready in the fridge, then pull out a few additions that night to whip up dinner.

We've made it through the first week- hope you all are feeling well. Here's to a good week!

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2014/07/guest-post-jamie-hartman-strawberry-rhubarb-sorbet-autoimmune-protocol-friendly.html

Link for strawberry rhubarb sorbet- sounded pretty good

Harvested 7 pumpkins from my garden this morning, checked my bees & even found some stray zucchinis. Going to do some batch cooking today- should get us through the week.

Happy Monday

Thank you!! Strawberry rhubarb is my favorite!! Fun to hear about you harvesting pumpkin in July, gotta love Cali, we wont have them here until the fall. 
Yummy combinations today - sausage & sauerkraut, butternut squash & apples!! Success in the kitchen  :D

Yum- food sounds great. Everything in garden is crazy this year. Cucumbers & zucchinis are pretty much done. Pumpkins are super early. We had crazy weather this year- no winter & bad drought. Hoping the bees will give us some honey this year- we'll see.

Survived dinner out for moms birthday- even when they brought chips & salsa to the table! Doing better this time on W30 with more veggies & protein & I'm feeling better. Last time struggled with some negative issues. Learning more this time around about different foods & how they affect me.

Yesterday felt more routine, getting the hang of cooking like this :) Made spaghetti squash last night and tasted great. I am off to the grocery store to restock "everything". Yet this time I feel so much more prepared than a week ago!! Thankful for the many improvements I have learned already!!

I buttoned a pair of jeans yesterday that I couldn't wear 9 days ago!! Excited to wear those tonight to teach Bible Study :) My daughter is not feeling any 'magic' yet but my husband's Crohn's has been so healthy with this way of eating!! He hasn't had gut relief in years, even with lots of meds. It is wonderful to see him feeling so well!!

He is traveling for work next week M-F, flying with no checked bag too, so I am trying to prepare him as best as I can. Bought some primal pacs and larabars for those moments when there is 'nothing' to grab as he is a grazer. I think he will manage ok at lunch and dinner, but breakfast and evenings will be very challenging for him in a hotel!!
Any ideas would be super!!

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/07/14/crockpot-pulled-pork-1-pot-5-awesome-meals-camp-nerd-fitness-sale-ends-friday/

Here's another good recipe that can be stretched & fixed in different ways

Hope everyone is doing well & starting to feel great. Having sausage stuffed apples tonight - so good.

SonnyBelle- tuna packs, veggies, beef jerky. I sent my daughter on a plane last week with homemade hummus ( using sweet potato or zucchini). I even weighed them into 3 oz packets to make it on the plane. If you check out the W30 website I think there are more tips for traveling.

Thank you :)  Tried to eat out today at Chick fil a, such a challenge! And shopping at Sam's was painful, but SUCCESS did happen!! Can't afford to do all our food organic, so doing some lean meats and some produce at Sam's and was shocked at home much I was able to get at less prices than Kroger or Fresh Market our higher end with nice produce stores here. For a family of 3 on whole30 we now need to shop larger volume for some items :) 

1/3 of the way done!!!! Good night

I'm sure you've heard this, but if you are saving money only go organic on things you eat the whole piece. Go organic on apples, but not oranges since you don't eat the outside, etc.

So glad you are having success with your plans. I've been doing this for several months & still learning. I stock up when things are on sale. I also have the luxury of my garden & freeze or can everything I can. Today my church ladies cooking group is coming over for a canning lesson.

How are you all feeling? Hope everyone is doing great. I do feel better this time around than I did going through this the first time. Keep tweaking what I'm eating- go easy on the nuts.

Hope your husbands trip goes well- hang in there. We're getting healthier!

Yes, I am learning what I can about what needs to be organic and what doesn't matter. And seeking to stay in our meal budget at the same time. I have friends who have gardens and I glean a bit from time to time. So thankful for that!! What fun to have a group over to can :) Great distraction/motivation too!! 
Glad to hear you are feeling better this round and having success!! We are enjoying west coast weather out here, very plenty in a normally hot and humid summer!! We had a simple day though success. Thankful!!   Ready for a good nights sleep!! I desired more off plan food today than any other day, so gonna sleep it off :) 

well we 3 here made it through "the hardest days" as the Timeline calls them, days 10-11 :) 12+ bring 'boundless energy' but no one here is bounding yet.  but we are getting into a groove, almost 1/2 way!!
made a yummy spaghetti dinner tonight after a dinner fail last night, went to something I know we love tonight. have all I need in the house now for a few days so I can relax this weekend!

I hope you all are doing great - enjoy your weekend 

Hi! Loving all these posts! I'm doing pretty well also. Two days ago were bad for me in terms of eating regularly. I ate my 3 meals randomly, and some were quite small. Other than that I've been doing pretty well, yesterday I seem to have gotten back on track with eating 3 full meals. I went out last night with friends and we went to in-n-out. I was fairly sad with my lettuce wrapped burger with no cheese, no sauce, and no fries haha, but that's okay because while the others were complaining about how sick they felt after I felt great! Can't believe we're almost halfway done, it's gone by so fast. 

Did you see they allow potatoes on W30 now. Not chips & fires, but with veggies.

http://whole30.com/2014/07/new-whole30/

SonnyBelle- here is a tool I've recommended to my cooking friends- makes spaghetti out of veggies. Works great- love this!! http://buyveggetti.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

Marinscb- glad you are having success- keep it up! I have friends that have lots of health problems but don't want to change what they eat. I try to make them yummy meals & not push too hard. Just let them know we are what we eat.

So glad to hear everyone is doing well. Hope you're all getting some rest this weekend & enjoying some good food & good company! Keep up the good work!!

reallllly wanting something creamy in the last 24 hrs............. ready for my 'old friends' to come back :/
didn't cave, had watermelon and grapes, probably too much fruit, but hey, I made it through!!

husband still feeling good, my daughter has had success even while working at a 'starbucks-like' local coffee shop!!
I think I am at the place of "this is fine for main meals, but can we add in a bite or two of what I really love"?

not gonna, just being honest :) Today ends Day 13 and they are spot on with this summary!! It was safest today to just not leave the house  Yet I am crawling into bed successful..........
Days 12-15: Boundless energy! Now give me a ( ) Twinkie!!
Hurray! The slump of day 10-11 is over! Your pants fit again! Your energy levels are better than normal – you’re downright Tigger the bouncing tiger! But something weird is happening...... Seriously, you’ve almost hit the halfway mark, and now this?!
All joking aside, though, this phase gets really intense and for some people. This is the part of the program where our minds try to drive us back to the comfort of the foods we used to know. Our food relationships are deeply rooted and strongly reinforced throughout the course of our lives and breaking through them is really big deal.......

hi to all :) we are 1/2 way today!! did you do anything to celebrate? we went to the local butcher for more sugar free bacon and a visit to Fresh Market for a few items.....realized just how much I linked celebration with food, ALL day I wanted some dessert!! 

my husband made it to Indiana for work and now is on his own in a hotel and restaurants until he gets home on Friday evening. we prepared him as much as we could :)

made a yummy dish for dinner -  bacon, then shrimp cooked in the bacon grease, then saute broccli, baby bellas, squash & garlic, then mix it all together - WOW was it good!! would have been good with cauiflower too. 

hope you all are doing well, pressing on. I get bored with the food at times, still want desserts, my daughter isn't having any 'wow' yet but we are committed to finish this well!!

Good morning- here's to another good day. Choices are getting easier. Finding more ways to include veggies in each meal. I need to come up with a menu for a party this weekend for my former employees.

Let your daughter know I never found the "tiger blood" energy they kept talking about when I did the first W30. Since then, I have followed a mostly paleo diet and this time around am feeling it more. Even with the heat we are having here I get up & workout & keep going throughout the day. Hang in there. It takes a little longer for some. Hope your husband's trip is going well.

Need to plan a meal for my cooking class. Now off cook for Mama's Kitchen. Grateful for good health & able to help those who are not well.

Can't believe it's already halfway! I have been feeling healthy and happy but I noticed that some skirts I bought a couple weeks ago in my usual size are HUGE! It seems strange to me that I've already lost 2ish inches? At least that's how much room was gaping when I put on the skirts yesterday and today. But I have never previously tried them on so maybe they were larger to begin with? Haha. Anyway, I have been feeling really low on energy, I am thinking that maybe I am not eating enough? I usually have a pretty substantial breakfast, but I notice that my lunch and dinner seem to be on the smaller end. 

Hope everyone else is doing well :)

just b4 Good Night to Day 17 :) I cannot imagine having house guests and making a menu, best of luck with that!! Congrats on the loose fitting clothes marinscb!! 

my husbands trip is going very well and he is doing super on the program, physically I cannot believe how good he feels which I think is a huge motivator for him. my daughter is beginning to feel some physical changes to that is encouraging for her. 

I bet the boredom at lunch today!! we made sweet potato chips, sliced up jicama, and made salmon cakes served over spinach & coconut flakes topped with a little mayo & pecans! Long day but a good one, tired and ready for good nights sleep...pressing on! Hope you get some rest too :) 

Sweating it out in San Diego today. Cooking marathon for the party this weekend. Not all W30 compliant, but still healthy for the guests. Zucchini bread done, roasting pumpkins for pumpkin ice cream (pumpkins came ripe early this year). Potato salad (all W30), fruit salad & grilled flank steak Or chicken kabobs with cherry balsamic BBQ sauce.

Some clothes fitting a little better-yay! So good to hear of everyone's success. Hope you all have a great weekend!

Paleo Gardener, that menu sounds amazing!! Hope you have a fantastic party!! YAY for better fitting clothes too :) Today I buttoned my second pair of pants that didn't fit 19 days ago!!

My husband is home from his work week in Indiana and did a super job alone on whole30. I am so proud of him!! He continues to feel better and his Crohn's disease is calm. He does 'break one rule' of the program and that is that he steps on the scale every few days as he is concerned about loosing weight and doesn't want/need to. Please pray with me that he has sustained his weight this week. That is the only danger in this program for him is too much lost weight!! so he eats so much fat :) 

Food here is simple the last few days, routine is okay now. Crazy we are up to day 20 in the morning!! Welcome to those new to posting and just looking in. Let's press on and finish up strong!! God bless each of you!!

Love all the success already!! 

PaleoGardener - I am so envious of that meal! Everything sounds delicious! Not to mention that you have a garden where you are able to source your produce from! I am in a teeny apartment in LA so that's not possible but one day I would love to have a garden haha.

Notyouraverage - Welcome :) So glad you found us! 

SonnyBelle - I love hearing about your husband's success :) 

Can't believe it's almost 2/3 done! 

Welcome notyouravrgpaleomama- hope you're doing well

SonnyBelle- here's an article I read this morning regarding Crohns http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/07/26/best-foods-to-ease-crohn-disease-symptoms/

Funny how people are finding cures/help for diseases & ailments by altering their diets. Good to see people are learning they are what they eat.

Glad your husbands trip went well. Praying he can keep up his weight & continue to improve his health. I relate to the breaking the rule with the scale. I've had years of problems with weight, & I do break the same rule. It helps me see how certain foods affect me. Helps keep me on track with making better choices.

Marinscb- maybe some day you can have that garden. I didn't do mine until I quit work 4 years ago. It is fun to go out & pick my dinner. My neighbors think it's amusing. (I grow in both front & back yard).

Lots of what I'm serving tonight at the party came from my garden. All the dishes are paleo & most are W30. Won't they be surprised? It will be good to see my old staff & catch up with everyone. (I ran a bookstore for years)

We've been remodeling our bathroom ( my daughter did the tile work!) finally finished & today we can put everything back together. Then to clean & get ready for the guests.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend- enjoy your success & the good health you are creating in your lives. Share the Good News!

Archived