Fell off the wagon...

Hey guys,

I did about 2.5 weeks of Whole30 in January and fell off the wagon. I caved in after having a super stressful night at work and ate a bowl of pasta. I didn't look back after that.

I really want to try Whole30 again. I was told in February that I am gluten sensitive. After cutting out gluten, I lost a few pounds and have felt so much better.

But, my energy levels have started to droop again and my weight has been stuck around 178 - 180 since March.

Does anyone have any tips?

Gillan

Guest Andria

I think the best advice I can give is to plan ahead. I TOTALLY get throwing in the towel on the Whole30 after a stressful day at work. I have done this several times and ordered pizza.  This doesn't seem to happen, though, when i have prepared yummy foods and they are in the fridge ready for me to warm up when i get home.  Think of your favorite Whole30 meals and make sure you prepare enough in advance to have leftovers for dinners when you get home from work.  Also, make sure you are eating enough overall throughout the day so you are not starving at the end of the day.

Just get back on the horse! You can do it! :)

I think the best advice I can give is to plan ahead. I TOTALLY get throwing in the towel on the Whole30 after a stressful day at work. I have done this several times and ordered pizza.  This doesn't seem to happen, though, when i have prepared yummy foods and they are in the fridge ready for me to warm up when i get home.  Think of your favorite Whole30 meals and make sure you prepare enough in advance to have leftovers for dinners when you get home from work.  Also, make sure you are eating enough overall throughout the day so you are not starving at the end of the day.

Just get back on the horse! You can do it! :)

Thank you! Part of the stress is working a weird shift. I work 4:30 pm to 1 a.m. and it's a 45 minute drive home. By the time I get home and get ready for bed, it's usually around 2:30 a.m. I often sleep in until 10:30 a.m., 11 a.m. if I am really tired. So by the time I get up, it's 11 a.m. and I am just now eating breakfast. I tend to eat lunch around 2 p.m. and then I don't end up eating dinner until 8 to 10 p.m.

I tend to eat lunch around 2 p.m. and then I don't end up eating dinner until 8 to 10 p.m.

I say this is too long to go in between meals, especially for a beginner.  You get to that "hangry" point where you'd eat your arm off.  It is way too easy to make poor choices at this point.  And binge.

When you decide to do another Whole 30 {and you most certainly will ;) } -- plan a mini-meal around 6:00 or so, if you can manage it.  Even if it is just a handful of nuts, some carrot sticks, and a can of tuna.  I don't know your job, so I won't go on and on with examples here -- the point is, a mini-meal around 6:00 will help keep your blood sugar in a good place so you aren't starving by the time you get off work.

A ~large~ lunch will also be recommended, but I think trying to go 6-8 hours between meals is asking for trouble in the beginning, even if you DO have a large lunch.

ate a bowl of pasta. I didn't look back after that.

If I had one cigarette, I would be right back to a full dependence on nicotine again.  I don't want that to happen, but that is exactly what would happen.  I've learned the hard way, over and over again, that A moment of weakness and A really bad choice (that only takes a few seconds to make) can cost me YEARS of my life.

If you can truly make the connection in your mind that A bowl of pasta turned into 5 months of poor choices before you are ready to tackle a Whole 30 again, and that it robbed you of being able to reach your goal and say "I did it!" -- next time you are tempted, you will be able to say in your mind, "No, I know where THAT road leads, and I am not going there again".

Some may read this and think the analogy between smoking and food is far-fetched.  It's not.  These foods have a drug-like effect on our brains, and that is the very reason we struggle with them.  It's an addiction and it is powerful.  So you've got to form some vivid images in your mind, you've got to have some mantras you can have going in your head when you need them.  My most powerful one is, "If smoking is so great, then why aren't you smoking?"  This immediately brings back all the reasons why I finally quit for good.  It brings back the nasty smell and taste, the feelings of self-consciousness, regret, and weakness.  The list goes on.

So ask yourself:  "If that bowl of pasta is so great, why aren't you eating pasta?" 

;)

• 4 weeks later...

Brewer I think you are right on. I've been feeling out of control since my whole in April but the one red line I haven't crossed is gluten/wheat. Precisely bc of what you're talking about. If I eat something containing soy lecithin I'll feel bloated and itchy. If I eat wheat it'll be weeks of scrambling/clawing out of that psychical and psychological rut. Last year an innocent brunch where I ate a fresh English muffin under and Eggs Benedict turned into an eight month struggle to stop eating wheat.

Meal prep ahead of time is the answer to that. I always have hard boiled eggs in the fridge, canned salmon and sardines in the pantry, and I make a tweaked version of this salad every week: http://www.sarahramsden.com/nutrient-rich-salad-for-the-time-poor/. It's easy to pack up in Rubbermaid containers and go. I also make soups and freeze them so they're ready for nights that someone else is cooking or ordering pizza. I try to make a lot of food when I cook so that there's leftovers, but that's only so effective when you have two full-grown men in your house who view a full crock pot as a personal challenge...

Brewer I think you are right on. I've been feeling out of control since my whole in April but the one red line I haven't crossed is gluten/wheat. Precisely bc of what you're talking about. If I eat something containing soy lecithin I'll feel bloated and itchy. If I eat wheat it'll be weeks of scrambling/clawing out of that psychical and psychological rut. Last year an innocent brunch where I ate a fresh English muffin under and Eggs Benedict turned into an eight month struggle to stop eating wheat.

Beets,

I'm so glad to hear someone else say once they ate non whole30 approved it was a struggled...not that I by any means want someone else to struggle but I fell hard off the wagon after my first whole30 and have yet to get back on...I feel like Ive failed miserably after I did something so positive for myself and felt fantastic....I totally agree with you with the feeling of being out of control...last week I put my foot down and said enough no more junk and alcohol and 4 days later someone brought out a birthday cake and it all went downhill from there...(grocery store birthday cake=total weakness) Summer is hard, there is so much more social activities and entertaining which all come with food and drinks...not to mention I feel like crap...one would think that would be enough to make the change! 

Heidi

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the overwhelming response! We JUST settled in at our new home in Georgia. I started interviewing for this job in July and we finally made the big move. 

I had to keep putting off restarting Whole30 but the move and finances stressed me out to the point I've been sick. Enough is enough. I'm going to sit down, clip coupons, buy what we can afford and start planning Whole30 compliant meals based on what we have. I've stopped eating so late - in fact, I try to eat around 7:30 p.m. and I get to bed around 1 to 2 a.m.

Archived