Starting on June 30, 2014

JulesM01

Hi all,

My name is Julie and I will be starting with Whole30 on Monday, June 30th.  I am not new to Paleo or Primal, but have gotten WAY off the beaten path in recent months and have been struggling with getting back on track.  I decided that Whole30 would be a good way to be accountable, get back on track and seek support while I detox from everything I have been eating recently.

Long story short, I started eating Paleo for the first time in January of 2012.  This was almost a year after my first daughter was born.  In that year, I did everything I have traditionally done (bodybuilding background) and I only lost 6 pounds (in a whole year) despite being diligent about meal planning, workouts, caloric intake, etc.  Honestly, Paleo was a last choice, but it was amazing.  I started losing weight immediately, was stronger in the gym, and felt better overall.  Fastforward 4 months and I decided to do a bodybuilding show.  I was 90% Paleo compliant during that time (I did eat some dairy and brown rice), becoming more and more restrictive.  After 21 weeks of competition prep, my metabolism and hormone regulation were shot.  If you don't have experience with this, it meant that any sugar or carbs would result in crazy weight gain.  I was back up 35 pounds and was in a metabolic recovery period when I found out I was pregnant with my second daughter.  The post-prep damage coupled with changes in hormones were not good.  No matter how I ate or worked out, I just kept ballooning.  I finally gave up and stopped worrying about what I ate because I didn't feel like it mattered anyway (such a selfish thing when pregnant, but just where I was at the time).  My youngest is now 6 months old.  I have been on and off with Paleo since her birth, but as I said before, I have struggled with sustaining it.  So here I am.  I really want to do this for health, as I have become absolutely convinced that this a health issue (not a weight issue) in the past 2 years.  So my goal is for my health, with weight loss being a secondary goal.

Additionally, I want make this change for my daughters.  My oldest daughter has an auto-inflammatory condition called PFAPA.  We had her on an auto-immune diet and found it helped tremendously when she would have fever episodes, but recently have slipped back into letting her eat crap along with me (us, I guess I should say, as my husband and I have a tendency to co-sign this with one another), resulting in a really bad fever episode this past week.  We have been working on not shaming ourselves for this, but just moving forward and taking action to do what we know works for all of us. Again, so here I am.

I am a little overwhelmed by the volume of information on the forum, but look forward to getting back on track with everything and utilizing this for support.  For me and my family.  If you have read this, thank you for the support, and if prayer is something you engage in, will you say a prayer for my heart on this?

Thanks! :)

The meal template and the summary of the rules are probably your most essential guides. I would suggest you print these and post them on your fridge. If you follow these, you can hardly go wrong.

If you're unsure about anything, best way to find information is to google "Whole30" + whatever topic you want to know about. If no search results show up, don't hesitate to post questions in these forums.

Good luck!

The meal template and the summary of the rules are probably your most essential guides. I would suggest you print these and post them on your fridge. If you follow these, you can hardly go wrong.

If you're unsure about anything, best way to find information is to google "Whole30" + whatever topic you want to know about. If no search results show up, don't hesitate to post questions in these forums.

Good luck!

Thank you! :)

Hi Julie! I am starting my first Whole 30 today as well! I am waaaaaayy off track with my eating these days. I had been doing well eating paleo/primal very consistently for nearly a year and felt amazing! But then I had some major life stressors that threw me for a giant loop and I gained back almost all of the weight I had lost, as well as many of my fitness goals. I have been thinking about doing a whole30 for awhile and I decided today is the day! I am feeling strong and ready to get myself back on track :)

Best of luck to you! I am here if you need anything:)

Archived