Confessions of a sugaraholic

demarkgirl

This is my day 14!  Comments from other 'Whole 30ers' and the Whole30 timeline has gotten me this far.  Toward the end of my first week I experienced terrible heartburn, headaches, bloating and fatigue.  As suggested by others in the forum I started taking digestive enzymes.  That has helped.  I was so sleepy that I was coming home at lunch to nap.  Still working on my sugar craving and not pacifying that with fruit.  Having thoughts of a giant birthday cake with lots of icing.  I even talk about it.  I have been feeling very bloated and yes my clothes started fitting tighter.  Last night I was retaining a lot of fluid.  I slept in this morning and did not have that bloated feeling after I ate my breakfast (two eggs, sweet potato, coconut oil and raisins).  I have gluten and soy allergies so I have been gluten free for over 3 years.  I thought I was eating clean but this program has showed me otherwise. 

Perhaps the sleep has helped.   My cortisol levels were completely backwards before this program.  I was taking melatonin and a cortisol manager two hours before I wanted to go to sleep.  Strange thing today -  A friend gave me a watermelon and I got a sore throat after I ate it.  Not sure what this is about.  The bloating is worse in the evening.  I am going to bed early (for me) tonight. 

Heartburn and headache back late this afternoon with a vengeance.  Seemed like the blueberries I had with my prosciutto and cucumber before my workout triggered it.  I gave up coffee and pepper last Wednesday so now I am not sure if I am on day 15 or day 5.  From the timeline and my irritation today when I woke up I feel like I am all the way back to the 'Kill Everything' stage.  I didn't even feel like going to the gym because my workout clothes were fitting so much tighter than they did back around Memorial Day weekend.  Yikes!!

The extreme fatigue is gone so I didn't feel the need to sleep at lunchtime and I even made it through a long boring meeting without heavy eyes. 

Went to store for batteries and sweet potatoes when I came face-to-face with some chocolate chips.  I confess I did stare longingly.  How could I resist they were softly whispering my name?  I told them they just weren't right for me and walked away.

Tomorrow I will start logging my physical and emotional reactions to what I eat in much the same way after I was diagnosed with gluten and soy allergies.  It took a year to recover from the horrible health problems that resulted from not knowing my real issues.

Although today I was discouraged and considered a glass of wine with my attitude, I did not break the program. 

Tomorrow is another day 6 or 16?  I guess I will see.

Today I was hungry an hour after my breakfast of sweet potato, egg, coconut oil, raisins, and sugar snap peas (for a touch of color- ha).  I focused on other items that I needed to address at work because I told myself that snacking was not an option.

Same issue at lunch I ate at 1:00 I am hungry.  Once again focused on work. 

No fatigue and little to no fluid retention.  I was on the feisty side all day.  My energy level was up considering the heat and humidity and the environment that I was working in late in the afternoon.

Tonight after washing my face I noticed that the few milia that I have had on my cheeks for years are almost gone.  So that is a huge positive.

Better attitude about the Whole30 program.  My mind was trying to convince me that I was doing everything wrong and that I should go ahead and quite for the holiday weekend and start over 'correctly'.  I have not violated the program guidelines.

Still having a tough time not drinking the coffee.  But the coffee pot which is just outside my office door is not enchanting me with the aroma every time a fresh pot is brewed.  So I say I am on day six.  That is where my progress and the timeline seem to match.

Well I have good news and bad news.  First the bad news.  The bad news is that I have to start my Whole30 Program over.  I started using digestive enzymes after the first week of my program to help with the heartburn.  Unfortunately I did not realize until this weekend that the enzymes contained soy lecithin.  The allergy information stated what the enzymes did NOT contain but did not state what they DID contain - soy lecithin.  I found this out after a violent reaction.  The good news is that I have learned much about the food I have been eating and how to eat it.  I am more skilled at label reading and I have discovered that my discipline is stronger than I realized.  I plan to start my program again this week.  I am going to do the Autoimmune protocol and eliminate FODMAPS.  Watermelon is a FODMAP and caused me heartburn.  Back to square one but I am looking forward to the entire process and moving beyond day 19.

Archived