Greenfailes Log

greenfaile

I feel like I need a stardate here.  I'm trying to get psyched for my first whole thirty.  The house is stocked and the bad stuff is gone.  I've just finished giving up diet soda so I'm still a bit sleepy.  I'm Diabetic and I've tried everything else.  I'd cry but what would be the point.  My job is high stress and this past week I was pulling 12 hour shifts (not overtime though - the joys of being salaried).  So while I start this with a here goes nothing science experiment attitude - I'm hoping I can build a support system.

The one I have here isn't so good.  Did I mention I gave up diet soda?  Day three co-worker asks me since I'm out can I her up a diet Coke.  She backed off quickly - it must have been the look I shot her.  2nd week I was asked to bring soda to a graduation party.  I got out of that too.  I don't want to tell anyone except the hubby I'm doing this.  He's doing with me.  We figure 30 days...we can do anything for 30 days...right?  Right?

You can do it!  These forums provide a great support system.  Happy Whole30ing and please do know that you and your husband are not alone.  Lots of people in your corner.  Go for it and happy eating!

You can do it! And as I was reading your lines, I was thinking yeah, I will be following her log, and read it to my diabetic partner. I am on day 12, and he is not doing it! He eats what I cook though, no starches, no grain, and his blood sugar is wayyyy down only after one week... His wake up levels are between 105 and 130, down from his usual 230-250. Oh and nothing wrong with crying.. No holding back... Crying is better than holding it all back. Looking forward to see your start date, and following and supporting you!

Thank you everyone - I was so happy to see someone spoke to me. 

Day one we jumped the gun.  Started 1 day earlier than planned - I must say I expected day one to be easy but it wasn't.  We had dinner last night Ginger Beef with Broccoli and mushrooms with caulitlower rice.  Breakfast this morning was eggs, sweet potatoes and beets.  Lunch was left overs.  I manged to avoid homicide today.  I don't like telling people what I'm doing, but one of my co-workers is making changes so I thought I was safe.

Another coworked overheard me, he brought me a handful of chocolate.  Thank God it was white chocolate.  That's the only reason he's not trying to remoe an entire arm from his sphinter.  We're in a command center, which means 10 hour days surrounded by every junk food imaginable.  I was able to avoid most of it because I just saw it as sugar bombs.  Jolly Ranchers, Dum Dums, M&Ms.  Not really what I'd want if I were craving. 

When I got home I tested my blood sugar it was 107.  For those of you that don't know under 100 is what most Diabetics aim for and 80 is 'normal'.  107 after a stressful day of work is like a miracle for someone like me.  Did you hear the angels singing where you were? 

But I had some stomach upset.  Stephan made 'fried' chicken with ghee, squash and cauliflower mash potatoes.  While he cooked I curled up in bed like a crack addict and tried not to cry.  If this is day one...what did I sign up for?  I've been through something similar when I gave up soda so I thought I knew what to expect.

Other things - last year was very bad for me.  My mother died, two of my aunts, a close friend and both my dogs.  I was a wreck and medicating with food and Rx.  I decided I was going to come clean with this.  No more Citolapram.  No more food as medications.  So if I get a little weepy sometimes I apologize.  Usually I reserve my sense of humor for my webpage.  I assure you I have one.

Didn't help yesterday that I couldn't get the Gummy Bear song (from the 80s) out of my head.  "Gummy Bears, bouncing here and there and everywhere.  High adventure that's beyond compare...they are the Gummy Bears."  Admit it, you have it in your head now too.  Oh God, it's back....

Darn you journal!!!

Wow, another challenging working environment! Take some healthy snacks with you, chop up veggies, make a whole30 dip, and if you are ever tempted by the sugar demon, tell yourself it's a bomb, that will make your inside explode.. Worked for me...:) sooo happy to see your blood glucose level be that low.. Told you so... :)

Thank you honey!  Woke up slight headache which disappeared in the shower.  I put some music on and officially said goodbye to the scale.  I know my start point now and my BS was 102.  I'll have to start adjusting medications if this keeps up.

Take measurements too, and a picture of your midsection from the side. In two weeks, look at the picture, and at yourself in the same position... Surprise!... My midsection is melting away, it's fantastic!

The pictures are a great idea - I wish that I had taken pictures....

Welcome to w30 - and hang in there - it does get better.  It sounds like you are changing a whole lot of things all at one time after a long period of stress in your life.  Stay strong, lean on this community, cry if you need to - and when you are ready, dance and jump up and down!

We figure 30 days...we can do anything for 30 days...right?  Right?

That has been my mindset. I started on June 30. I am trying to figure this forum out. I want to keep a log just need to figure out how. 

Hey there, Just got up. 

I'm not as stuffy today as I have been in the past.  I used to wake up unable to breathe on one side of my body.  Convinced it was seasonal, I kept taking antihistamines.  Maybe it was food?

I forgot my meds last night (we had a lot going on) and my BS was 157, high but without meds.  That is so weird.  Back on the Diabetic medications today.  I'm not ready to leave them behind yet.

We had planned on Korean BBQ, but then I realized I picked up the ribs with the sugar.  They are repackaged and on their way to a friends house.  I also caught myself with a handful of double bubble bubble gum.  I don't remember picking them up, but they didn't make it to my mouth and I put them back in my pushers bowl of candy. 

I consider yesterday a success, I only wish that the slight headaches and stomach upset would calm down.  Did you know there's sugar in TUMs?

Why?

I took your advice and did some measurements last night and pictures (front and side).  I've also started taking photos of what I eat so I can't say I don't know what's going in.

Breakfast was eggs and hash for the last two days.  This morning it will probably be some leftovers from dinner.  Lunch looks like nom nom paleo beef recipe.  Since we really didn't officially start until yesterday I did weigh myself.

We've been eating this way since Sunday night (its all that was in the fridge) - I've lost 9 lbs since Saturday.  Had the husband lock up the scale.  I still feel grumpy during the day but I am taking my blood sugar monitor and checking when I get that way.  I have carrots and almond butter just in case.

I hope others have a good day.  I'm still a little weepy, but coping well, I think.

Cheryl

post-47516-0-26239400-1404299334_thumb.j

So glad I found your updated log after my lunch. I thought we had lost you... Ok so now you are officially on day 2. Log your food daily on this log, and also record your BS. This will help you see what foods/activities affect it. My partner always has a higher BS the day after eating beef. And without meds last night, it explains how high it was I think. His doctor reduced his metformin (glucophage) by 1000mg a day. His A1C is down to 5.8, after being off bread, starches, etc for about 3 months. Do not drop your meds without consulting your doctor!

Am so proud of you, you can do it. I know. Look at how you handled the bubble gum situation, and the wrong BBQ meat! Way to go! You need to pat yourself on the shoulder for even little things like that, and observe all those positive changes in how you handle certain situation.

I also thought not going to be able to leave without a scale, potatoes, and pasta, but here I am, taking pleasure eating yams, and realizing how much tastier everything is in my mouth. Last night I kept on pulling my jeans up, and you know what, I was able to take them off without opening the button or zipper! Little things like that, and the missing bloated feelings, make me realize this is definitely working! See you later...

Enjoying reading your logs. Your humor definitely shines through. Just one more person here to encourage you and let you know it gets better.

If you haven't seen it yet the timeline might help you know what to expect. The first couple of weeks are usually rough but then it tends to get better. 

You are doing great but do make sure you are eating enough. It is hard to tell but the photo you posted looked like a small meal to me. When we talk about filling the plate in the template we are talking about a large dinner plate. Unless you are tiny 2 eggs is not quite a full serving. You should eat as many eggs as you can hold (whole) in your hand without dropping which is 3-4 for most women.

Keep up the great work and stay strong around all those food pushers. If they get really bad just sweetly ask them why they are bullying you. Also some great advice I saw on another thread never say "I can't have that" always say "I don't eat that". Don't is much stronger verbage.

I keep on reading eat more eggs/more proteins on each newbies's log, but what is important also is not to force myself to finish a dinner plate that has four eggs and veggies on it. I did just that for 12 days and started to gag at the thought of eating yet again, so I was told to cut down on the proteins. I am also doing two eggs, and lots of cooked veggies, which helped me not to feel like I am force feeding myself, and I don't snack in between meals. I still feel "full" and I had lunch 4 hours ago. Most of us have had lifelong issues with portion control, as well as eating without being hungry, and it would have helped me to know that I did not have to finish my large plate if i felt satisfied. I felt more like "stuffed" but this is a detail....

I actually don't think I want more cauliflower rice right not.  We had that with breakfast today and with lunch!  Ugh!  So tonight I stopped to get salad fixing and I found sugar free prosciutto.  I couldn't find bacon.  When in doubt compromise.  My headaches start at about 3 in the afternoon and seem to go away once I leave work.  Can't tell if its the work or hunger.  I few strawberries and a couple cashews and I was feeling better 20 minutes later.

Trying not to eat my way through the day.  Hutlifr - eggs...I can't eat that many either!

I left the glucose meter at home - tomorrow I'm taking it with me.  Today may have just been stress.  We have a moratorium today for a few days at work and everyone was panicking to get their things done before 5.

So today...food...

Lean beef with cauliflower rice - breakfast, oh and a banana to settle the stomach.

tomatoes and beef for lunch - more rice (applesauce - no sugar)

2 Strawberries and a couple of cashews

Dinner - salad, proscuitto and propbably some hard boiled eggs

No more ghee for a day or two...its so rich!

Pictures soon again.

Cheryl

Don't forget your serving of fat for each meal. I use coconut oil (unflavored) and supplement with avocado if needed. Taking your BC meter to work is a very good idea. I notice that if my fat was not the requirement amount, I would feel hungry earlier. It is a getting used to, you know, the taste of fat, because we all have been cutting it out of our diet for so long! Have a good day! Started day 15 at 6 am, feeling great.

I'd like to just go to sleep....my stomach hurts so much.  I went and bought some Italian mineral water instead of ginger ale.  It seems to be helping.  The newsletter was spot on today.  I was so sleepy.

BS 125

Breakfast eggs and potatoes (need new ideas here).

London broil and hash browns (sweet potatoes), tomatoes, onions,

Mother-in-law beef and lettuce wraps.  Salsa and guac.  Nice change.

Had some cashews (going to get rid of that can and portion them out after today).

A lara bar (pecan pie) and Tsamma (a watermelon drink, no sugar added, just juice).

I feel a little better now.  Tomorrow we search for more colors to add to the rainbow.  No cauliflower, sweet potatoes or (ick) eggs.

Still tired...need sleep.  I think I'm going to bed early.  Love and warm wishes to you all.

Cheryl

Try my simple bolo for breakfast. You can prepare it at night, and just warm it up in the morning. Serve it over zoodles (zucchini noodles). Brown an onion, add some ground meat (I now use turkey), maybe some bell pepper, add some diced tomatoes, and season to taste. Let it cook until acidity of tomatoes vanishes. Use Roma tomatoes if you can, less acidity.

Thank you!  I picked up a zoodle maker last night as my reward for the week.  I think it I weren't packed inside a small office with others eating really bad things I'd be ok.  (It really is a small office, four people in a room designed for two and week two of our implementation go-live.  Next week, the consultants are in, going to have to say no to Italian out.  I haven't figured out how to eat out on this so I don't).

This morning I put together a drink of aloe and italian lemon mineral water.  It's helped my suger and *ahem* other issues.  I slept almost like a brick last night and only woke up once.  Blood Sugar was 117.  My husband and I are eating off little plates, trying to convince him the bigger portions will not be bad as most of the portions are veggies.  He'll come around.  He's probably the only reason I've made it this far.

When I wake up allergies hit me hard.  My eyes are puffy and I started to notice they are a little red so I take allergy meds this morning it should be an hour before they kick in.  Sorry when my typing's bad, it's usually because I can't see yet.  Type by touch.

It's July 4th, Independence day.  We're going to stay in I think, or make our own burgers if our buddies have a cook out.  We have sugar free mustard and lettuce for wraps.  Its really not that hard as long as I'm thinking (but not too much).  This morning we're going to take Agent Coulson (our dog - chiweenie) for a walk.  Its the first time it's been cool enough.

Camera is charging so I should be able to get pictures today.

Happy Independence Day!  And you're not from the states...Happy Friday!

Cheryl

We always celebrate July 4th... With steaks not burgers though... My significant other is American, and I lived in the USA for 30 years. Lol

I dread eating out. Will have my first experience tomorrow, but I am confident I will be making good choices. Going to a Portuguese restaurant. I could not do Italian either... Good call! As to the other issues try sauerkraut or kimchi... I do sourkraut and it helps. Raw is best...

Archived