Greenfailes Log

greenfaile

Good morning - we made it through the holiday.  Our friends grilled but we ate before we went only because it's not the ribs its what the ribs are cooked in.  Had too many nuts and fruits yesterday, not off the reservation yet, but could have done better.

Today we'll probably hit the farmers market and make some zoodles.  I have everything for the bolo.  Today is the first day I've worken up without severe dry mouth.  BS 125. 

I've been wanting to see a new movie "Chef" but given this, I don't think that its a good idea to watch a food centered movie.  I'm still getting sleepy but it passes more now.

Yesterday foods:

Coconut pancakes (a new way to hide eggs).

Pork sausage (fresh)

Bananas.

Too light on the veg

Lunch:

leftover thai beef lettuce wraps and salsa

Snack:  Cashews/Macadamia and Strawberries.

Dinner

Kobe Beef

Lettuce wraps again.

Going to the store for some variety today!

Breakfast - eggs, sugar free bacon and broccoli. 

Good morning! Glad you survived your holiday and are going strong.

A note about your food log. Pancakes of any kind are not permitted in the Whole30 rules. 

Pancakes: No

Sometimes, we feel like if we have to have one more conversation about pancakes, we might explode. No, you can’t have pancakes. Yes, even if they’re just bananas and eggs. First, they are explicitly ruled out in the Whole30 program guidelines. This should be enough of a reason, but in case you’re still wondering why (they’re just bananas and eggs!)…

Pancakes in any form do not encourage success with the Whole30 program. Reaching your health goals depends on committing to both the rules and the spirit and intention of the program. The Whole30 is designed to change your relationship with food, first and foremost. And the psychological impact of eating pancakes as part of your healthy eating, life-changing plan cannot be ignored.

Eating eggs, a banana, and some olive oil is not the same as combining those ingredients into a pancake. There are studies that show that how your brain perceives the food influences satiation. This is often cited with liquid food (smoothies or shakes, as we reference in the back of It Starts With Food), but experientially we see this with whole foods as well, depending on how they are combined. Pancakes bring up a totally different psychological response than frying some eggs and eating a banana. And it’s that psychological response that we are trying to target with the program.

You may not have an affinity for pancakes, but we find that most people who complete our program do best without any of these comfort/trigger/reminiscent-of-the-SAD-stuff-you-used-to-eat foods. So, because we need to create one program that applies to as many people as possible, we rule these Paleo recreations out. In our vast experience, this sets everyone up for the best Whole30success possible. And, of course, what you choose to do after your 30 days are up is entirely up to you.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.4eAupR5y.dpuf

Damn.  Ah well, I feel great today. 

Thanks Bethany.  I wasn't eating pancakes because of a craving, just that I was sick of eggs.  I'm pretty sure I'm not in a relationship with them and I did avoid the sugar (no syrup - made sandwiches).  The egg in ghee was making me queesy (a bit rich for me), so Melissa and Dallas will have to forgive me. :)  I'm pretty sure they know one size doesn't fit all.

Got to bend before you break, you know?

Most people are probably like Nazi's on the program, but I'm not most.  Unless you count the Mel Brooks version.  (History of the World Part I and To Be or Not To Be, one of his best movies with Anne Bancroft his wife.

Today I actually went to the pool and the gym.  I feel so much better today I want to run the block.  I didn't know I could feel this good, it's been so long!!!

Loaded up on spaghetti squash and ready to make meatballs.  Though I'm wondering why we don't abandon spaghetti squash because being raised in an Italian family I think I would have more emotional response about spaghetti.  Oh and eggplant....love grandma's eggplant.  Nope.  Sorry, just because there's some emotional response to it, not a good enough reason.  If I were craving I could see the point. 

Truthfully the plan's a little boring without some variety.  I am hoping the cookbook works on that because it's the third worst aspect, for me.  (First being bathroom time and second being the stomach cramps before bathroom time).

We'll see if anything goes backsliding for me tomorrow - but for not I'm keeping it real.  :D

Love you GUYS!

--ok that was the nice me.

Here's the mean me:  http://cheryl.fatpandakc.com/?p=141

Don't read if you are sensitive, because I'm afraid I let loose here.

Just to be clear, it's irrelevant whether you had a craving or emotional attachment to pancakes. They're out on a Whole30 as part of the rules.

If you want a change from eggs, you have countless compliant options. If you Google Whole30 non egg breakfast, you'll get links to past discussions on this topic.

Doing a Whole30 means following all the rules 100%. I hope you continue to feel great and get the best possible outcome.

To GFChris... I find your tone and approach here disrespectful! We are all coming to this forum to get support, and not be shot down like criminals for a pancake! Quite frankly, if this person were to quit after reading your message, I would not blame her, but you. What are you. The whole30 police? I came across lots of disrespectful messages like yours, we are adults, newbies, and do not come here to be treated this way. Shame on you!

To GFChris... I find your tone and approach here disrespectful! We are all coming to this forum to get support, and not be shot down like criminals for a pancake! Quite frankly, if this person were to quit after reading your message, I would not blame her, but you. What are you. The whole30 police? I came across lots of disrespectful messages like yours, we are adults, newbies, and do not come here to be treated this way. Shame on you!

Actually, I like gfchris' responce. It is clear and concise. If you are choosing to do the program, you are doing the program. If you want to bend the rules, you are not. The problem comes in when other newbies see something that bends the rules, and if it is not addressed, will come to believe that it is ok.

Greenfaile - I applaud your effort to try to find something that works for you, but here are so many eggless options for breakfast. Having no cravings or emotional attachments to food is great! But the members and moderators are here to support you and everyone who reads your blog!

Day Six - Battling the Demons

The good news is I woke up with a blood sugar (BS) of 83.  I'm almost normal.  The bad news was I had a headache this morning. 

That's not the really bad news.  It occurred to me this morning that my mother and my grandmother were poisoned.  Not to be dramatic, I lost both of them while they were still in their 50's which is why I decided to change my life and not go that same route.  Except today I keep thinking if they had ate better, maybe they wouldn't have been diabetic and they would have lived longer.

Mom lived on 2ltrs of Diet Pepsi, grandma did too.  They did everything people told them would help manage their condition - except change their diets to non-processed foods.  They didn't know that they were literally eating themselves to death.  Some days on this whole30 might be hard, but I will do them.  In fact, I'll do whatever it takes to reverse this process.  I know we all die, but I don't want to die on dialysis.  It's slow ,painful, and brutal.

Some people talk about Paleo being all preachy, but damn it why isn't it?  Why wasn't anyone spreading this news when my mother, my grandmother, needed it?  It's one thing to find out a man drowns but another to watch him do it.  So at the risk of being inpolitically correct - I'm going to push the agenda.  If this works for me, like it has been so far, I want my friends to know, my family.  Yeah, I can't push it on them - oh wait, like hell I can't.  They don't have to do it, but they'll at least hear about it from me.

I fight the tears in my eyes because I miss my mother.  She was a big pain in the ass.  Always fighting against things until she ran out of energy to fight.  Where the hell were you save the planet hippy dippys when she needed them?

Sorry.  Apparently, I have anger issues about this.  My mom deserved a better life and it kills me that she didn't get one.  Mom I'm going to live this one for you.

I swear.  And I know you know it already but I love you.

Cheryl

Way to go.. 83!!!!! You are on your way... Sorry about your loved ones. You are also doing this for my diabetic next to me, who just won't follow suit for now... I keep on reading him your blog, your BS levels... I am like you, can't give up, just disregard posts that are NOT encouraging, and move on to the next day, one at the time. Hey I saw your call for help in the forum for more breakfast/egg options... No moderator came to the rescue then, too bad. Prosciutto was my savior, and smoked salmon. It allows me to reduce amount of eggs in the a.m.

, just disregard posts that are NOT encouraging, and move on to the next day, one at the time. Hey I saw your call for help in the forum for more breakfast/egg options... No moderator came to the rescue then, too bad.

There are literally hundreds of posts on what to eat for breakfast other than eggs, and I believe I chimed in on that post with a suggestion of eating whatever you eat for meals 2 and 3. I stand by that suggestion. 

We moderators work very hard to encourage and guide participants in the program, but we are not going to encourage people to disregard program rules. All of the rules are important. This is not disrespectful, it is actually out of respect for participants that we chime in here with that sort of info: we want everyone to have the most success possible out of the program, even if it means offering occasional guidance about menu items that did not meet program guidelines.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I think the OP actually hit on the real issue with coconut pancakes in the original menu: pancakes do not lend themselves well to a template meal. Eating pancakes seems to inevitably lead to a meal low in protein and low in vegetables. Eating a "noodle" dish made with spaghetti squash can easily fit into the meal template, so we aren't going to discourage everyone from eating it. If you personally find the "noodle" aspect to be triggering, then by all means omit it from your personal whole30.

EDIT: that chicken looks like a fantastic breakfast! Way to go greenfaile!  :)

Ah GFChris,

hmmm...appreciate your 'thoughtful' but canned response.  As I recall this is my journal, not the 'can I have a?" so I think it's ok to post what I have here without the negative connotations (which I don't recall asking for).  Otherwise you are encouraging people to be dishonest not just with you, but with themselves.  Not being four, I am aware that Pancake Gate was well off plan (ok, only for some people - I will think it was ok and I have an alibi to back me up...never took those pictures anyway Mr. Nixon...oops, is this being recorded?)

If, however, you have suggestions for alternatives, feel free to add them.

As I said before (in my personal website) the authors didn't descent from Mt. Ararat with the Whole 30 and they themselves admit it is a wide sweeping program to encompass as many people as possible.  I'm doing fine and appreciate the concern, but I didn't ask permission to have pancakes I simply made a CONSCIOUS choice to have them.  And I did, they were ehhhh.

BTW I made Paleo ice cream too, and while not on the plan, it was fun.  Remember fun?  I'm sure you do.  Didn't 'need' it didn't want it - in fact I don't really think my relationship with it is more than sexual (kidding but there was that one time, ok kidding again).  I'll take that one up with my therapist...ok if I had a therapist.  Could you imagine discussing the phalic issues around a frozen banana?

(Kidding...can't help myself sometimes).

Lighten up and lose the baggage people.  Don't subscribe to we must be martyrs mentality.  I made what I made to show my friends that this isn't all dirt and rocks.  I wanted to share with them more than meat + veg + fat = Whole 30.  I understand most people are afraid to cook, but I'm not.  It's what recipes are for.  I found them, they are better for me, going to try them.  If they meet the W30 requirements, maybe not the the spiritual ones but spirituality is between me and GOD.  Not me and Melissa/Dallas. 

Grin and Share it!

Viva La Revolution!!

hey Missmary,

I think what hut is trying to say is...timing, WORDING, and placement can be better.  I didn't join the forum for a critique of my meals.  I joined to have a supportive place to track my habits.  I know I'm a newbie, but what modierators tends to forget is I am also a grownup...so things like tone and content matter.  It's hard to convey tone in a forum, but many people hide behind the keys when they talk.

She's just trying to remember (and so should moderators) that day four/five is really rough.  This is not the day to debate the merits of pancakes - but I still protest that spaghetti is MUCH MORE confort food than pancakes. 

So can we step away from Pancake Gate and move onto policing others?

I don't think my post is going to cause others to deviate and if it does...well, I think the pictures on the web have more influence than little old me.

Oh and watermelon water.  OMG its a good change up from minteral water.  In limited amounts. 

Thanks for your time, but I think we can put day four to bed.  :)

The "Pancakes" every one is throwing a fit about. What if she called them "Frittatas"(which is what the really are)? They are relatively bland frittatas made with egg, coconut milk and bananas, fried in Ghee.  They are just small frittatas.  Maybe next time I will add spinach and sausage to them.  ummmm sausage!!!

I love you honey.

hey Missmary,

I think what hut is trying to say is...timing, WORDING, and placement can be better.  I didn't join the forum for a critique of my meals.  I joined to have a supportive place to track my habits.  I know I'm a newbie, but what modierators tends to forget is I am also a grownup...so things like tone and content matter.  It's hard to convey tone in a forum, but many people hide behind the keys when they talk.

ok, I agree: we can be better, and sometimes when we hear the same things over and over and over again we forget that this is the first time you are saying it. Tone and content matter (they matter with kids too, but that's a different topic...).

I'll tell you a story, and then I'll let your log be in peace for a while  :) . Once, a long long time ago, I was a whole30 newbie and i came on to the boards and I thought: yeah, this whole30 things seems pretty good, but you know what? I like having green smoothies with vegan protein every morning and I'm not going to stop because of your silly rules. I'll do the whole30+green smoothie with vegan protein and it will be fine. I was sure that choice was healthy and good enough for me. Well, along came a moderator (Tom Denham) and he told me that green smoothies were not good enough. They didn't meet the standards of the program, and if I wanted to do the program I would need to drop them. I was already eating a pretty similar diet (except the smoothies and some non-gluten grains), but I was stubborn enough to try to follow the rules for 30 days, if only to prove it didn't matter one way or the other. I was ready to go back to my smoothies on day 31, but you know what? It did matter. It didn't happen overnight, but eventually following ALL of the rules of this program my skin cleared up, and my hormones got into better balance and I started to lose weight (after failing with years of trying), my athletic performance skyrocketed and I would never dream of having a green smoothie with protein powder for my regular breakfast. I feel too good to go back there now  :) .

I guess what I'm saying is you never know which of the rules is really going to make the difference for you until you try following them. We believe in this program, and we want you (and everyone reading your log) to have the best experience you possibly can, so we will continue to point out the rules of the program, and tell you about recommended best practices for success. even on day four/five. We will try to do so in a way that lets you know how much we care and to sincerely acknowledge your efforts, but letting you know about the rules and asking you to follow them is not baggage or martyrdom or policing or judgement; it's respect.

So, I had to wear a belt starting today. :) The pants demanded it. I've had no less than half a dozen people tell me I look like I've lost some weight. That number isn't really important to me, yeah it's a measuring stick but I'm much more concerned with how much energy I have, how my clothes fit, moving back in to smaller sizes, etc. I don't have a goal or target weight; I have 'Feel good, look good, be healthy.' whatever weight that is. I certainly know I'm a long way from it.

It could have stopped at "ok, I agree, we can be better"...

Thank you miss marry for the mea culpa. And remember, we don't all share the same culture, so ok for you may not be ok for others...

And to the revolutionary whose log this is, try to think of your meals as 1st, second, third. It helped me to put aside what typical things were on my plate. So I am just thinking, proteins, veggies and fats for every meal, and no longer breakfast, lunch, dinner. It may help you too.

I just finished my first badge of organic ghee! Oh what wonderful smell... Will put some on my steamed asparagus tonight. Miam!

Got a ton of basil at the farmers market today, so prepared a nice pesto (can you get more Italian?) , which I will drizzle over my steamed veggies this week.

AND...that worked for you, but this is my world - my log.  I really don't want to discuss this any more.  If you're anti-recipe I'm sure there's someone else who agrees with you. 

Either I have a safe place to tell the truth or I don't.  You've established that I don't and that this is a judgmental and preachy space.

Good bye.

Archived