Fuel during and for long runs - 2nd whole30

plummerhouse

Hi all,

I'm on day 20 of my second whole30, and I just wanted to share my GOOD long run experience this round as I really struggled first time round and feel like it could be helpful.

To preface this, I'm no ultra-runner, just your average girl, so I feel a little hypocritical posting in the "athletes" section, but anyway...

First whole30 I found my energy dropped WAY low until about the 16 day mark. I had trouble running more than about 5km without running out of energy. I lost a lot of weight (clothes got very loose very quickly) and felt like I was eating a lot, but not able to keep my energy up. Never got tiger blood, my first "good" run was a 13km training run on day 19, and it didn't really get better.

This time round I have had two 20+km runs already with very different results. The first one was a 22km training run on day 6 - I don't normally fuel on this length training, but in retrospect I should have given how tired I was to start with. I bombed out - lethargy, nausea, shakes - at about 16km, and had to force myself home the next 6km. Sounds bad, but it was an improvement on my first whole30 because I simply wasn't eating enough at that time to sustain 22km.

Fast forward to yesterday, day 19, and I ran a sweet 25km trail run. I ran a very decent time for me, and some other points that really impressed me:

1. Sustained, grounded, energy throughout the run that didn't waver 

2. No mental/emotional ups and downs - I didn't "despair" or panic at any point in the race

3. Great finish over the last 6km where I picked up the pace considerably without feeling like it was hard work

4. No follow-up cravings or extra tiredness today (normally I want sweet things all day after a 25km+ run)

I had really worked out the fueling before this - ate extra meals the past 2 days, and sweet potato/pumpkin at every meal, then a hearty breakfast in the morning, and apple right before the run, and I had two date/coconut rolls for eating on the run which I ate at 7/13km (again, I wouldn't normally fuel on this length of comparatively easy trail, but it was insurance). I feel like the key was the 2 days of eating with the intention of storing energy. The date rolls helped keep me kicking on the day, but they were extra.

I know people's results will vary, but I'm really clear now that this kind of eating works well for me as a runner, as long as I manage it well. I just wanted to put my story out there, as I know I was always looking for reassurance the first time round that it could work.

Thanks for reading!

K

• Moderators

25k run? You're definitely an athlete, girl!!

My first whole 30 was similar to yours. I had low energy on my runs for quite awhile until I found that sweet spot you mention in #1. Great description by the way!

I just wrote about how and what I eat in the days before a long run or event as it seems a lot of Whole30'ers are looking for information on that. Like you, I've found I've got to starchy-veggie-load.

My friend Katie started Whole30 the same day as I did, and she had energy right away. We are truly an experiment of one!

I have had luck using larabars and those kiddie food packets that are sweet potato and fruit.  Sometimes you can even find the just Sweet Potato ones.  Dates work too.  I haven't done whole 30 before, but those items are paleo legal and I have used them in the past so I wouldn't be taking in junk on th e run.

I'm training for a marathon and just started Whole30 this week...this question made me wonder..ok, so now what do I eat pre-run and during-run since I cannot have cereal/oats or rice anymore...for mid-run, someone suggested baby food pouches in place of energy gels? (that are just made with pureed fruit and veg) Would that be sufficient? How about for pre-run? Baked sweet potato and some fruit? I am supsceptible to GI distress, so I want to limit my fiber intake before my morning run.

PeytonsMom: Before a long run I usually eat sweet potato hash and 2-3 eggs. If you peel the potato I guess it wouldn't be too much fiber? You want a healthy dose of protein and some fat, not just starch. During my long run I might have a date, but I rarely need it these days.

Before a regular run (5-10 mi) I usually have an egg, my fish oil and coffee. No starch needed.

Good luck with marathon training!

Peytonsmom, during long bike rides I am taking in a Lara bar each hour.  It seems to work during the activity.  Before I have a fruit and 2 eggs.  I am sticking to Whole30 approved foods, but mixing up the way I eat them other than the pre and post meal prescribed method.  I eat a sweet pot and egg after as well, along with another fruit.

• 2 weeks later...

Peytonsmom, I am finding it's not what I eat on the morning of the run, but how I fuel in the 2-3 days before the run. I ran a half marathon last weekend and it was horrible.

I'd finished my whole30 on the Thursday, and kind of took my eye off the ball as far as eating to fuel myself, I was just eating. Still good food, but not paying much attention to how much, what combination, etc. I really didn't eat enough starchy veg on the Friday and Saturday, and paid for it big time on the Sunday with tired legs, no "go" in the tank, and a really depressing mindset that I had to keep fighting the whole way through. I had breakfasted on 2 eggs, cauliflower, avocado and sweet potato, I didn't fuel during (I don't normally for a half) just drank water.

By contrast I did another trail run yesterday having eaten really well (and LOTS of starchy veg) in the two days prior. I ran early, before breakfast, and the whole thing was lovely. Light, easy energy, with lots of stamina. I didn't have any concerns. Only 15km, but hilly, and a new route. A great run.

I am training for a 28km, high-degree-of-difficulty trail run in September, then a marathon in November, and right now I am still quite happy fuelling myself on date and coconut rolls - this is just dates pureed then mixed with dried coconut and pressed into a ball. I've also tried a few fruit/nut bars but I find the nuts hard to digest on the run.

Pre-run I usually don't eat anything, unless it's a late start, then I just eat normal breakfast of eggs and veg. It's the days prior that count for me.

Good luck with training!!

25k run? You're definitely an athlete, girl!!

My first whole 30 was similar to yours. I had low energy on my runs for quite awhile until I found that sweet spot you mention in #1. Great description by the way!

I just wrote about how and what I eat in the days before a long run or event as it seems a lot of Whole30'ers are looking for information on that. Like you, I've found I've got to starchy-veggie-load.

My friend Katie started Whole30 the same day as I did, and she had energy right away. We are truly an experiment of one!

Thanks, Kirstin, I have to say it was your blog that gave me the idea that I could live paleo and still run, and it has been a bit of a revelation! Love that I can eat in a way that fuels and nurtures me for running and life. :)

Archived