WholeStanley eats, sleeps and does some detective work

Guest WholeStanley

Guest WholeStanley

Ok so this is my second 'official' whole30. 

I did my first one during May and I am an official Whole30 convert - I feel like I've had an eating/living epiphany and love eating this way.

My motivation for my first whole30 was to kill my sugar dragon, combat my bad relationship with food and stop my mindless eating and night time raids of the kitchen (Before whole30 if I saw food I would it eat - regardless of what it was or if i wanted it). I also wanted to lose some of the weight i had gained (due to previously mentioned night time raids!). Finally, I have IBS so was following a low FODMAP diet for the past 2 years, but over the last year things i knew i shouldn't be eating were creeping back into my diet and i was stealing a huge piece of french bread off the table at dinner on a nightly basis. i needed 30 days of no excuses, and to realise that i didn't have to always 'miss out' on bread, i wanted to get to the point where i didn't even want the bread. I managed to achieve all these goals and more beside - i now sleep better, have more consistent moods and energy, have been running better, my nails are stronger and i love cooking all these new dishes.

A second whole 30

The biggest win for me though, and one I didn't expect, was my skin has improved so much. I have struggled with acne on my face, chest and back since I was about 11 and have been on medication for it for the last 4 years but none of them improved my skin as much as the whole30 has - it has really cleared up, no breakouts, its less oily and less red and blotchy and much smoother - even my pores seem smaller. This was a huge win for me and one of the reasons I didn't want to go back to my old ways of eating - I had finally felt happy with my skin and there was no way I wanted to sabotage that.

So I didn't reintro, I didn't want to, and just kept going with whole30 eating with a couple of non-30 choices (i.e. chips with my dinner one time, a peanut butter cup, a non compliant burger patty at a family bbq). Because it wasn't 'official' I wasn't ultra strict, and then this weekend I went more off plan than usual - I had a jam tart on saturday night, made a mostly compliant 'galette' with a seed and nuts base that contained some agave syrup (i snacked on the compliant ingredients loads when cooking as well), and i ate two strands of pasta when i was making dinner for my dad and checking it was ready.

And now its Monday and I woke up to blotchy, oily, angry skin - and I don't know what did it or whether its a combination of all of the above! or none!

So i'm starting again, and i thought i would do a log this time so I can get some help with my detective work - and do reintro's properly this time so rather than being terrified of all non-compliant food, i can recognise what exactly hurts my skin and so can make better judgements when going off plan in the future.

Finally, one of the negative side effects of my whole30 is it's made me a little less sociable - i'm not sure how to handle certain social situations - nights out with my friends often involve alcohol and drugs - so i have taken to avoiding them and favouring lunches/dinners out instead and skipping on the big parties. I also get tense about not being able to eat at regular intervals which also can be a bit limiting when i am trying to plan days out or do anything spontaneous.  But i don't want to put my whole life on hold just cos im eating this way, so i will be attempting to combine my whole30 life with my old life over the next 30 days as well.

Today I ate: (I won't call it day 1 just yet as I need to finish of that galette which does contain some agave syrup)

p.s. my fridge is full of left overs so my meals often have a lot of ingredient but i've just added together a little bit of everything!

M1 (7:40am) - BIG Breakfast

P: smoked cod + some chicken liver bolognese (the cod was a small piece so added some left over bolognese to up my protein portion)

V: some cauliflower rice with coconut flakes, sauerkraut, some butternut squash, sauteed greens and bok choi

F: slice of galette - contained : pistachios, pumpkin seeds, chestnuts, agave syrup, olive oil, avocado, cashews, lemon juice, spinach and b.squash

M2 (1:15pm)

P: homemade lamb and carrot koftas (contained some onion)

V: cauliflower 'rice', rocket, red pepper, spinach, red cabbage, mushrooms

F: coconut in rice, plus extra coconut flakes!

Guest WholeStanley

PreWO (6:30pm) : hb egg + extra yolk! bite of venison burger, couple of almonds

Run (7:40) - hit 5k in 32 mins for the first time!

PWO - egg whites

M3 (8:30):

P: ground venison, left over chicken liver bolognese, Parma ham

V: courgette carpaccio with red pepper and capers, sauerkraut

F: olives and olive oil in carpaccio

Skin has calmed down a little and really happy with my run- especially as I had to convince myself to set off. It's my mums birthday tomorrow and dad is making turkey and pesto burgers, I have 'kindly' offered to pick up the pesto so will make sure it's from whole foods and compliant - sneaky me! Night all x

Great running time!

Unless you feel that you'll lose control at parties and cave to booze/drugs you should totally go! like HutLiftr said, soda water in a nice glass and noone will notice or care. Be warned you might find it boring very quickly once people get drunk! (my friend tend to drink but not get drunk and I'm just as silly sober as them anyway :-) )

Guest WholeStanley

Yeah you're right - I've got a couple of parties this weekend (that will prob get bit crazy) so I'm gonna go and and test the waters. The problem is I quite like the feeling of being drunk/ high every now and then and people treat u different when they know you're sober - I might just pretend i drunk loads before I got there haha

Woke up to a couple of breakouts on my chin and jaw line, my skin wasn't as blotchy as yesterday but still quite inflamed. Slept well, about 7.5 hours but think my meals were prob a bit too big yesterday - went to bed stuffed and still felt full this morning. Also in the spirit off full disclosure I kept nibbling on the galette base last night whilst I was putting my lunch together and think it might be the culprit - I will offer the rest to my family tonight so I can't eat anymore and tomorrow will be day 1

M1 (7am)

P: lamb and carrot koftas

V: sauerkraut Savoy cabbage some butternut squash

F: I scrapped the topping off the galette which was avocado,cashews and spinach all whizzed together - couldn't get all the nuts/seeds off though

Yeah you're right - I've got a couple of parties this weekend (that will prob get bit crazy) so I'm gonna go and and test the waters. The problem is I quite like the feeling of being drunk/ high every now and then and people treat u different when they know you're sober - I might just pretend i drunk loads before I got there haha

Yep, I also like the feeling of being a bit drunk (although, not the morning after! Or even that night when you go to bed and the room is spinning... Actually, why do I like being drunk?! :) ). Actually, a lot of the time, people don't know I'm sober - I just use parties as an excuse to cut loose - I've had people questioning if I'm ok to drive when I haven't had a drop! Could just be my dance style though :)

Guest WholeStanley

M2 (12:30pm)

P: lemon sole and prawns

V: cauliflower rice, spinach, tomatoes, rocket, mushrooms

F: coconut flakes and some cashews

I had an apple at 2 - which was not ideal, I only bought it because I was falling asleep at my desk - my work was boring today!

I know apples make me bloated and gassy, and lo and behold it did, had to factor in a couple of trips to the toilet

M3 (7:45pm)

P: Turkey and pesto burgers

V: sweet potato fries, tomato, pepper and salad

F: avocado

I had some stabbing pains in my stomach after dinner, might have been after effects of Apple. Also my skin is still bad and really upsetting me now - I'm nervous that it will never go back to how it was

M2 (12:30pm)

P: lemon sole and prawns

V: cauliflower rice, spinach, tomatoes, rocket, mushrooms

F: coconut flakes and some cashews

I had an apple at 2 - which was not ideal, I only bought it because I was falling asleep at my desk - my work was boring today!

I know apples make me bloated and gassy, and lo and behold it did, had to factor in a couple of trips to the toilet

M3 (7:45pm)

P: Turkey and pesto burgers

V: sweet potato fries, tomato, pepper and salad

F: avocado

I had some stabbing pains in my stomach after dinner, might have been after effects of Apple. Also my skin is still bad and really upsetting me now - I'm nervous that it will never go back to how it was

WholeStanley...try eating your fruit first.   Same thing happens to me with melons, bananas and I have to force myself to eat an apple.

Guest WholeStanley

Quick update: keeping my log in a notebook as it is quicker and easier to update, I think I will do a weekly update on her when I have some time - been a bit of a frantic week so if I have down time sleep is prioritised over the forum! Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's kinds words and let you know my good skin is back!!! Yay!!! Just in time for my date tonight haha xxx

• 4 weeks later...

Archived