Intestinal Permeability

I have intestinal permeability...or what is called leaky gut syndrome. It's when the lining of the stomach thins out and let's food particles, etc. not get absorbed correctly. The food particles, etc. then circulate through my body. I wondered if anyone has had this, or currently has this and benefited from the Whole30 program? If so, what foods specifically healed your stomach? Thank you in advance!

I think it's pretty common...have you read It Starts With Food? It is discussed there. I'm quite certain I had this to some extent. Eliminating gluten for a full 6 months is what fixed me up.

• Moderators

The solution to leaky gut is more about what you do not eat than what you do eat. You have to keep the problem foods out long enough to let your gut heal. The Whole30 does that beautifully. 

Do you have an autoimmune disease? Usually leaky gut results in some kind of autoimmune disease. Try a whole30, but if you don't see the results you were looking for (improvement in your disease) then you might look into The Paleo Approach by Dr. Sarah Ballantyne. Many people see a lot of improvement with just regular paleo, but others need to take it a step further, and that's what the autoimmune protocol is for (AIP). You basically take paleo, and then remove a number of additional foods that are frequently allergenic and cause problems for people with autoimmune diseases and leaky guts. Foods like Nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, all peppers, including many spices derived from peppers and eggplant) nuts and seeds, seed and berry spices (mustard, black pepper, anise, cumin, coriander, etc.) and eggs. It's very restrictive, and depending on the nature and severity of your condition, you may have to be on the elimination portion of the program for up to 2 years (3 to 6 months is more common though). 

It's also not just about eliminating foods. What you do eat is just as important as what you're not eating. It's important to include the most nutrient dense foods possible since people with leaky guts and AI diseases frequently have poor absorption.

However, like I said, many people see improvement and even remission with just a whole30+, so give that a try first. Just putting AIP on your radar in case whole30 isn't enough.

My husband has leaky gut.  Getting rid of gluten helped tremendously.  But he still had psoriasis and skin issues.  While on the whole30, he discovered that dairy was also a problem (I think I read somewhere the the proteins in dairy can look like the proteins in gluten...according to your immune system.)

He also started fermenting his own veggies....cabbage, carrots, pickles as well as taking probiotics. (True fermenting, not 'ice box' type pickles.)  Once he was done with the whole30, he started tinkering with resistant starches to feed the good bacteria in his stomach.  He soaks beans for several days (to get a ferment going) and then slow cooks them.  He also drinks kombucha.

We still stick pretty close to whole30 eating.  When he goes off and eats dairy or drinks beer, his skin gets itchy.  So I'm thinking he may never be totally healed.  But at least by eating clean, he has fixed most of his issues and feels a million times better.

• 1 month later...

To make Bone broth:

Take some bones that have a bit of meat and connective tissue attached and roast them in the oven until they are browned. Soup bones and knuckle bones from beef, pork, and lamb are good, and I save chicken carcasses after I roast whole chickens. Chicken feet will really add a lot of collagen and gelatin to your broth.

Place the meaty bones in a crock pot or stock pot on the stove. Cover with water. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer (or set crock pot to low). I like to simmer the bones by themselves for 12-24 hours first, then add kitchen scraps for the last 12 hours. I've found that if I put the kitchen scraps in from the start, they float on the top of my crock pot and actually burn a bit and cause a bitter flavor in the broth. I keep a gallon zipper bag in my freezer and whenever I have onion ends and skins, carrot peels and ends, celery ends and pieces, and parsley stems, I throw them in the bag in the freezer until I'm ready to make broth. Then I dump the kitchen scraps in with a couple cloves of garlic and simmer the broth for another 12 hours.

Strain the broth through a fine mesh seive or cheesecloth. I usually run it through my pasta collander first to get the big chunks out, then pour it through my smaller mesh seive to get the smaller bits out. Then I let it cool and portion it into sandwich sized zipper bags in 1 cup portions, lay them out on a cookie sheet, and freeze. I wouldn't keep it in the fridge for more than 5-7 days.

Archived