July 1 Support Thread

lifeography

I saw a June support thread, but not July. Thought we should create one for everyone starting July 1/beginning of July to share how our days are going. Feel free to add your intro here too!

I'm Stephanie, a mom of 4 kids ages 8, 5, 3 and 1 based in Florida. My husband and I are starting our first Whole 30. Glad to have a partner in crime to keep me accountable! We are "healthy/clean" eaters relative to the mainstream, but ready to make even more radical changes to ensure a healthier lifestyle. Kids will be DF/GF but not Whole 30 this round until I can get into a rhythm with meal prep.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Stephanie, I'm in! My name is Kathy and this is my second Whole30. I've fallen off the wagon in the last few months and really need to get back on track. I don't have any kids but a very supportive husband who is helping me get re-focused.

I can't tackle too much exercise-wise because of a back injury so focusing on food is the way forward for me. I woke up this morning to the smell of my slow cooker bubbling away with a beef casserole so it was a nice way to welcome the day, especially as it's Winter here! :)

Hi! I'm Dani and I'm in B) 

I've looked at the program with the vague, "One day I'll do this" thought process. I couldn't stand the thought of giving up my coffee with cream and sugar. I have ditched the sugar and today ran out of cream. It's now or never.

I've been eating off and on primal for about a year now, but this will be my first W30. No kids, so that simplifies things. My SO is supportive, but he's not sure if he's going to commit fully or not. Either way, he eats pretty paleo and we don't keep much junk food around the house.

I have 3 goals:

1. I'm starting in hopes to kickstart a positive change. Without something extreme, I've had a hard time saying no to temptations like occasional sugar and sweets.

2. I also want to see if I have negative reactions to dairy, which I have never cut out fully.

3. I want to slim down and look my best in my wedding dress in October :wub: .

Hey guys, I'm in, too! I did about a two week "part30" about a year ago, and it's time to go all the way! I debated about waiting until after the, but there's always something to "wait until after," so a new month seems as good a time to start as any.

I am also going to struggle with the coffee - morning is my favorite time of day! Or maybe sweet, creamy coffee is my favorite and it just happens to be in the morning..... haha

My main goal is to be able to listen to my body cues when it comes to food. I am already struggling with thinking of this as yet ANOTHER "diet," and the subsequent kitchen cleaning, planning, and obsessing. I want to enjoy food as FOOD, and nothing else!

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's experience!

Hi friends,

Day One arrived and I felt lost.  Where are the recipes and meal plans, where is the shopping list?  Well, thankfully I had done something like this a few weeks ago and have some ideas but if you can point me in the direction of more directives from the founders of this plan, I would be grateful.

I am doing this to lose weight and gain some confidence.  I turned 65 this year and feel, well, a bit old, fat and ugly.

Thanks for being there with me!

Amy

Hi friends,

Day One arrived and I felt lost.  Where are the recipes and meal plans, where is the shopping list?  Well, thankfully I had done something like this a few weeks ago and have some ideas but if you can point me in the direction of more directives from the founders of this plan, I would be grateful.

Meal planning template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Shopping list: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list.pdf

Recipes: the world is your oyster. Simply create meals that fit the recommended template and that are compliant with the program rules

Possible recipe places to start:

- recipe sharing section of the forum http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/25-recipe-sharing/

- The Clothes Make the Girl website (author of Well Fed and Well Fed 2): http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/

- Nom Nom Paleo website http://nomnompaleo.com/

Hi friends,

Day One arrived and I felt lost. Where are the recipes and meal plans, where is the shopping list? Well, thankfully I had done something like this a few weeks ago and have some ideas but if you can point me in the direction of more directives from the founders of this plan, I would be grateful.

I am doing this to lose weight and gain some confidence. I turned 65 this year and feel, well, a bit old, fat and ugly.

Thanks for being there with me!

Amy

Amy, make sure you check back at the threads that you post questions on. I shared a bunch of links with you on 2 different threads last night when you posted this same question, hoping you would check the answers before your first day. I hope you see the links that either I posted yesterday or that GFChris posted today! Good luck.

Answers I posted yesterday with links:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/20128-need-help/?fromsearch=1

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/20123-starting-july-1st/?fromsearch=1

I saw a June support thread, but not July. Thought we should create one for everyone starting July 1/beginning of July to share how our days are going.

Good call! There are a ton of posts with people starting July 1st so it's great to have one place for everyone to sound off and get to know one another. I just finished my 3rd Whole30 (in the june 1st Support thread) and I know some people.from that support thread will be moving over here to continue on to w 45 or w60. Good luck everyone! It's worth it!

Hi everyone! I am Mary, and I'm a lawyer and mom based in Miami Beach, FL. I just discovered this site yesterday, and after mulling over "can I really do this?" for 24 hours, I've decided I'm in. I've never tried paleo before, although I am newly grain-free, and I have been dairy free for various periods in my life.

I've seen a dramatic increase in my weight in the last few years, along with a corresponding dip in energy and focus. I'm hoping that whole30 helps get me back on track. My biggest challenge will be being prepared--I can make the right choices if I have the time to think it through and plan in advance, which sometimes doesn't happen. I also have to eat out a lot for work, which requires even more planning.

So, I'm going to start Sunday, July 6th. I need this week to read through the book and shop. And truth be told, I really don't want to start a few days before the 4th.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

My name is Kat and im so excited to start the whole30 program.

I am a single mom to 3 girls twins that are 9yrs old and 11yrs old. I have struggled with my weight ever since my full hysterectomy in 08 and having hypothyroidism. I hoping the whole30 will be the jumpstart i need. The girls will be doing some of it with me except the grains. I will also be starting Zumba for my exercise.

Hi ;)

I'm Louise and I'm restarting today after being violently ill for two days and giving in to my mother's (and her doctor's) sipping sugary drink insistence to keep hydrated (I'm 39 and it's still hard to say no to your mum specially whilst vomiting!).

I would have been on day 25 today ;)

I'm a single mama to a 6 year old and I've had arthritis for 30 years and longstanding depression which I am trying to fight with diet and get off the pills (alongside my own very supportive doctor). I'm not going to put my son on whole30, his school insists on carbs at lunch and will not hear otherwise plus his father would not keep it up when he has him, but I have started making better choices for him (homemade ketchup, homemade chicken nuggets, cauliflower mash, lots of omelettes, homemade lollies and banana "ice cream", no junk food in the house, water...he has come to love iced water!)

Okay, I'm in.  I'm a stay-at-home mom to three kids, 9, 6, and almost 4.  I've had debilitating fatigue for more than 15 years.  I also have severe digestion issues, "silent" acid reflux, Hashimoto's hypothyroidism (an autoimmune disorder), and most recently anxiety and psoriasis.  I have cut out grains for several months (except occasionally rice and quinoa -- oh, and the four black-and-white cookies I ate just before committing to this program).  I've also been dairy-free for several months.  But I am having a hard time with the sugar cravings (although when I fall off the wagon nowadays it's for fruit or homemade coconut milk ice cream).  I need to do this program FULLY for 30 days, and I need support to do it!!!  Simiko

Hello there, I'm Brianna and I'm a 23 year old married momma of an 8 month old baby girl. I'm starting my first whole 30 on July 1st with the goal of losing some baby weight and generally freeing myself from addictive sugars and fats. I live a pretty healthy lifestyle so switching to the paleo diet is realistic for me. My husband is serving overseas in the Navy so I have my hands full with my daughter which can be challenging when it comes to cooking so wish me luck! I can't wait to share my experience with you all. Here we go!  :)

I'm in! My name is Seth, I am 26 and looking to eventually start an online diet coaching/training business. However, food has been my biggest struggle for the past 8 years and I am extremely vulnerable to going out of control with certain trigger foods. I have been stuck in the vicious cycle of cue-urge-habit-reward and need to break out of food jail. I have done a whole30 before and was free, but I should have made it at whole90 at least until the good habits were cemented in. So I am blocking out everything for July and creating my own whole30 parallel food universe so I can remember what "normal" feels like again.

Hi, I'm Karen and this is day one of my first whole30. I'm a working mum from Sydney in my 40's. I am overweight because I eat junk and don't exercise. I have associated health problems, like sleep apnea, and I'm sick of being so tired, unhealthy and unhappy. i have no doubt this is going to be a difficult 30 days for me, but I've made it through the first day and that's how I'm going to tackle it - day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute if I have to. I'm reading everything I can and look forward to seeing our progress!

Good morning, all! I'm Julie. I have been trying so many different nutrition "plans" in the past few months my brain is honestly overwhelmed and I'm definitely feeling defeated. The worst part is I offer a "do as I say, not as I do" mentality everyday to those around me as I am a personal trainer and boot camp instructor (!!). I coach my clients on healthy eating habits and their importance, but am a self-proclaimed sugar junkie addicted to sweets. I possess the knowledge, just not the willpower.

I am married and have a 3 yr old and soon to be 2 yr old, and 2 German Shepherd dogs. It's a full house. I recently took a very strong interest in and began completing OCRs (obstacle course races), with 3 races on the calendar and a goal to complete the Spartan Trifecta next year. I am an avid Crossfitter and push myself HARD in my workouts, and am starting to really focus on heavy weightlifting. All of these things combined have forced me to REALLY take a look at how I am fueling my body. If I could put as much passion into my nutrition as I put into my workouts, it would be a game changer. I KNOW that, now I just have to act on it. 

I AM ready, I AM able, and I AM committed. Looking forward to this journey. 

I AM ready, I AM able, and I AM committed. Looking forward to this journey. 

I love your confidence!

I struggled yesterday feeling overwhelmed with the possibilities, until I remembered I don't have to cook something new and complicated everyday! Chicken and veggies cooked in coconut oil is a perfectly acceptable meal. My SO usually cooks breakfast, we forage leftovers or have a simple lunch, and I cook dinner with enough leftover for at least one meal. I usually try something new or do a complicated meal once a week or so. I'm going to continue that. 

Did anyone else get overwhelmed with meal planning, only to realize they were over complicating it?

Hi all. I'm on board the July 1st group.

I just wrapped up with the June 1st group. I did do 30 days of 3 compliant meals a day but on two of those days I did partake in off plan food (not a full meal but treats). Luckily nothing set my body off kilter too bad and mentally I powered into my next meal. So did I do a the plan for 30 days--YES. But not 100%. However I walked away with so many valuable lessons but a few I still have to conquer.

I want to continue this another 30 so here I am.

My advice for those thinking about meals, etc...PLAN ahead. make big batches of everything you like. Don't overthink and obsess on one meal. I can't tell you the value of cooking/prepping 3-4 days of veggies and proteins. When I come home from work starving and while cooking for family...I can pull my food out, add my favorite fats and reheat and food is ready in 3 minutes!

Looking forward to getting to know all of you!

I go cold at the thought of meal planning. I love cooking and food and I don't know what I want to eat tonight never mind thursday or next week so I don't do it.

I do cook large pots of things like chili and freeze some or put portions in the fridge or I'll mash two cauliflowers ready to heat up when I want but that is as far as meal planning happens in our house!

Plus our food budget is small and we live in a pricey country so I don't think it HAS to be done x

I am starting tomorrow. It is my 7th day of being nicotine free, it has been challenging but ver rewarding. In order to prevent weight gain and cravings, I want to start the program tomorrow. I could not make it today unfortunately. Good luck to everyone, we can do this!!!! <3

Hey, guys!

I'm starting a Whole45 today.  Day 46 will see my cousin getting married, and I would like to feel my best for the celebration and for my skin to look good for the pictures!  :D  :D

I've done a few Whole30s over the past couple of years, and recently tried for a Whole60 which didn't work out.  /:  But I'm back at it again after falling off the wagon pretty hardcore.  I'm 27, do CrossFit on occasion, enjoy walking my dog and horseback riding.  I struggle with depression but have seen a positive change in that since incorporating a lot of Whole9 factors into my life.  (:

Hi I'm Allie!  Today is my first day of Whole30.  I had a bad reaction to some antibiotics so I am restraining from any exercise until better.  I am doing the Whole30 to hopefully speed up the healing of my body and to get rid of my sugar cravings.  One thing that will be a big struggle for me is breakfast.  For years I have only had hot chocolate for breakfast because I don't like to eat in the morning.  Today I made myself gag down eggs...

Hey everyone, I'm Steph.

I'm a 22-year-old student and have been eating paleo/primal for the past few months, but I've been falling off track a bit lately and wanna do Whole30 to supe up my motivation and health! This is my first time doing it, and I'm pretty excited. Before going paleo/primal I was vegan who ate tons of grains and legumes (in retrospect, eek!) and before that I was an overweight and unhealthy teenager who ate tons of junk food, so overall this has been good for me c: 

Edit: ah, for exercise I run 3-4x/week and ride my bike to work c:

Today for meal 1: local bacon (no sugar, no sulfites), local free-run eggs, broccoli, and green tea. 

Good luck everyone!  :lol:

Hello! Louise here! Started today! Day 1! My husband and I have been Paleo for about 4 years (80/20), but for the last 6 months, we have been "slipping" into conventional ways - bread at a restaurant, order a pizza at home, add some fires to that...etc, now we feel terrible. We do pretty good at home, no bread, pasta, rice, have a splash of heavy cream in coffee, 1 tsp sugar all day. Vices are wine and chocolate every night. Decided to get back on track with Whole30, spent last few days reading "It Starts with Food", cleaned out fridge and cabinets, made shopping lists, meal plans, then both went to grocery store and we are ready! Had a great frittata this morning, and a big salad with grilled chicken for lunch. Weighed ourselves this morning and hid the scale till July 31st! : )

I'm Caitlin--I'm starting today! I've done various cleanses in the past, and I've dabbled in paleo/primal, but I've never been committed enough. I'm at my highest weight of my life, and I'm tired of feeling crappy. I'm 30yo and single, so I will be relying on the board for inspiration. I also happen to be training for a marathon this fall (I'm fat, but I'm not totally out of shape), so if anyone else has similar fitness goals, I'd love to chat. Best of luck to all!

Archived