July 1 Support Thread

lifeography

Wrapping up day 2 here in NJ and feeling great! Looking back on my first successful whole 30, I was pretty exhausted on day 2, so this is a positive change. Other 'day 2s' during prior failed attempts in March and April didn't look so great. I'm so glad I decided to re-read ISWF this time around - I had read it last fall and always planned to do one in January - but I had forgotten some of the important info by then (they have clear warnings about the binge-ability of sunbutter in there! I had totally forgotten about that!) So helpful to have a refresher...

I just checked out Robb Wolf's book at the library too, since it appears he was such an important influence in this program. About to read it now. Anybody else read it?

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't read Robb Wolf's book but I have "Practical Paleo" by his friend and colleague, Diane Sanfilippo. (Love her book!). I am also reading a book now called "The Thin You Within You" by psychiatrist Abraham Twerski. It's all about examining WHY we eat poorly. The subtitle is "winning the weight game with self-esteem." For me, anyway, I lose my willpower when I am emotional about something (angry, nervous, sad), so I am also using these 30 days to examine my deeper emotional needs and discover ways of nourishing my soul rather than feeding my sugar cravings. Day 3 went well, thankfully; my neighbor is doing a similar 30-day challenge, and we had a major schmooze today to give each other support. Good luck everyone! We can do it -- and make lasting changes beyond the 30 days too!

Day three is done for me.  A few cravings, but they pass with a cup of tea, or water.  Definitely getting all my water in.  I remember from my first round that day three was pretty rough.  This is not as bad, but not great either.  Head ache, body aches, and super fatigued.  It will pass, and the good feelings are on the other side.  See you on day four!

Etchnstretch... I would have though you could allow yourself to eat whenever you are hungry in your situation. The baby will be taking a lot from you and you need more than your average person to sustain you. 3 meals a day may not be enough for that.

Yesterday was my day 3/4 as I started the day before my whole30. start. I was tired and some what crancky and just watched wimbledon all day planning to do my chores.. later.. well later never came. It is reassuring to know others at the same point felt similar and has helped me to be kind to myself and not beat myself up for being lazy. Today I want to weigh myself as I feel a bit slimmer. Why do I need to avoid this tempation? I dont weigh myself every day but when I feel the urge, either to encourage me to get back on track or as a boost becuase I am doing well.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you on this post.

It's breakfast on day 5 for me today and man was I a grump yesterday. Nothing seemed to be going my way and in retrospect it wasn't as bad as I was making it all out to be. I ended up eating more than one serving of fruit yesterday, which wasn't part of *my* plan but whatever it's the height of watermelons season and we bought 2 huge watermelons so I indulged a little. Hope everyone has a wonderful day today :)

Etchnstretch... I would have though you could allow yourself to eat whenever you are hungry in your situation. The baby will be taking a lot from you and you need more than your average person to sustain you. 3 meals a day may not be enough for that.

Yesterday was my day 3/4 as I started the day before my whole30. start. I was tired and some what crancky and just watched wimbledon all day planning to do my chores.. later.. well later never came. It is reassuring to know others at the same point felt similar and has helped me to be kind to myself and not beat myself up for being lazy. Today I want to weigh myself as I feel a bit slimmer. Why do I need to avoid this tempation? I dont weigh myself every day but when I feel the urge, either to encourage me to get back on track or as a boost becuase I am doing well.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you on this post.

You're right, technically breastfeeding moms should add in a 4th meal according to the pregnancy and breastfeeding forums. However, I only feed once in the morning, before and after nap times (she takes 2 naps), before bed and a few time through the night, so I probably shouldn't be adding in as much as a mom who feeds every 2 hours or more. I am, however, going by my body's hunger cues which unfortunately come along with drastic mood swings (I'm not used to being hungry and my body doesn't seem to like it at all).

I would advise liistening to your body, you say "it" doesnt like it at all.. Even if you are only feeding the baby twice it will still be taking a lot of you nutrients and perhaos this is your body crying out for what it needs? I am totally for good eating but at times of stress on your body I think (just 1 opinion) that in you circumstances you sound as though you need to ear more often and you post suggests to me you body is telling you this.. bottom line for me is that if you stop listening to you body it stops talking to you.. that is the start of trouble. sorry to sound unsupportive, but I am actually trying to be helpful xxxx

You're right, technically breastfeeding moms should add in a 4th meal according to the pregnancy and breastfeeding forums. However, I only feed once in the morning, before and after nap times (she takes 2 naps), before bed and a few time through the night, so I probably shouldn't be adding in as much as a mom who feeds every 2 hours or more. I am, however, going by my body's hunger cues which unfortunately come along with drastic mood swings (I'm not used to being hungry and my body doesn't seem to like it at all).

Are you saying u r hungry on the Whole30? I am pretty sure we r not supposed to be hungry -- we r supposed to be eating the right combination of good foods, in sufficient amounts, to keep us satiated and energized.

it's the height of watermelons season and we bought 2 huge watermelons so I indulged a little.

Watermelons are my FAVE!! There's only two of us in the house though, so it's hard to eat a whole one sometimes, before it gets mushy.

It's after M1, day 5 for me today, I.am.tired.of.scrambled.eggs! I will have to find something else for M1. I don't really like eating in the morning anyway, so forcing myself to eat veggies in eggs is not working. Hopefully I can find something that will not make me cringe, because I know "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day."

On a positive note, I am satisfied after about 1/2 a cup of coffee with coconut milk blended in. This is a huge thing, because I used to drink at least 2 cups with cream and lots of sugar, before or sometimes instead of breakfast. Dropping the sugar (NOT as easy as it sounds), and cutting it down to just the cream helped, but I'd still drink 1-2 cups. Now I'm finishing my first cup, AFTER M1, and I realized I only feel like I should drink the second cup because it's made. That is not a good enough reason, so I will not be drinking cup 2 today :D  small victories!

Hi - This is my first Whole 30 and I started July 1.  i was a diet Pepsi addict and had my last one on the evening of June 30.  Day 1 was a breeze, day 2 and 3 were miserable.  Pounding headache, malaise, cranky, the whole shebang!!  Just awful.  Stuck with it and I am better today. Thank God!

I have been GF for years due to celiac and I am on/off dairy, soy free.  A whole 30 has been on my radar for a few years but I have been reluctant to commit.  Here now and I will tough it out for the month!

Eileen

Watermelons are my FAVE!! There's only two of us in the house though, so it's hard to eat a whole one sometimes, before it gets mushy.

It's after M1, day 5 for me today, I.am.tired.of.scrambled.eggs! I will have to find something else for M1. I don't really like eating in the morning anyway, so forcing myself to eat veggies in eggs is not working. Hopefully I can find something that will not make me cringe, because I know "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day."

During my first W30, I had eggs everdya for breakfast. Now, I have come to appreciate that meal 1 is just that. I will eat whatever I have on hand. Today, I had a chicken apple sausage with mashed butternut squash (and added cinnamon!) good stuff!

Day 3 started with me not wanting to go to sleep on Day 2, then waking up at 2 am and being disappointed it wasn't morning yet. I don't know where all of this positivity is coming from with it only being day 3 - is this true change or just the mental effects of starting something new and exciting for my health?

Woke up again at 4, and then rolled out of bed at 5:15. The waking through the night thing happened to me last time, too - anybody have similar experiences?

Only this time, I welcomed getting up at 5:15 because I'm trying to change my habits to work out in the morning. I just feel so much better when I can get it done before work. So if I can keep it up with still getting a healthy 7-8 hrs sleep, that would be great.

July 4th weekend checkin.

Away at family reunion.

Good: bbq a plenty with compliant meat and veggies

Bad: timing of meals. Argh. Breakfast at 830 but lunch at 330 last couple of days. But loading up on extra good fats had helped carry me longer.

Extra extra bonus: got entire family (big!) into garlic grilled broccoli. Yum! Had huge plateful with last two lunches.

Really craving my normal life back. Having fun but just want to cook my food the way I like without explaining. And more importantly I'd like to eat dinner before 7 not at 9!!!!!!

Day 3 (or 4 - I lose count as I did a sort of 'transition' day on the 1st which was compliant but then I decided to sign up for the email) done here and I'm actually feeling ok and not experiencing too many headaches/tiredness etc - which makes me wonder if I'm doing it right! I'm having a little fruit with each meal, say half an orange or apple and 4 or 5 strawberries, but served as part of the meal not as dessert. Not sure if that's too much sugar?

Meals today have been:

Breakfast - sweet potato and lentil hash

Lunch - tofu stir fry

Dinner - spinach frittata with cumin carrots

I'm struggling in the evenings at the moment as the children demand all of my time - getting the eldest through the hyperactive tired pre-bedtime hour then seeing to the 9 week old who gets upset at being left while I see to her sister. So even though I have my meals pre cooked I have to really make the effort to sit and eat an often cold meal, or take bites as and when I have a calm few minutes.

We have a busy weekend ahead so not sure how much time I'll have to cook ahead, so planning tonight. What do you think of my meal plan for next week, and can you help fill in the gaps with some vegetarian inspiration?!

Sat

Breakfast apple cinnamon yogurt with roast veg

Lunch stir fry

Dinner omelette

Sun

Breakfast sweet potato hash

Lunch (take to family BBQ) frittata

Dinner stir fry

Mon

Breakfast omelette

Lunch sweet potato hash

Dinner

Tue

Breakfast omelette

Lunch chilli

Dinner sweet potato curry

Wed

Breakfast yogurt

Lunch

Dinner something with cauliflower mash

Thursday

Breakfast scrambled egg, avocado, veg

Lunch yogurt

Dinner chilli

Fri

Breakfast

Lunch (take to day out at the farm) frittata

Dinner

We have been fully compliant today - had bacon and eggs for breakfast; steak and a lobster tail (!) on the barbi for lunch and will have compliant hot dogs for dinner.  Snacks have been watermelon.  Veggies have been a delicious greek salad I have been noshing off of all week - just english cucumbers, onions, cherry tomatoes, celery, red pepper and some oregano, with lemon juice.

My kids are Paleo and my son goes through coconut milk yogurt like there is no tomorrow.  I am cheating today and making a coconut milk/almond milk panna cotta, basically just gelatin added to the milk, to see if I can stop buying coconut milk yogurt at the store.  Some day I will get up the energy to make coconut milk kefir or yogurt - I actually bought the grains, but not quite yet.

I too have been having eggs and veges every day so today (day 5) I made salmon fish cakes with bacon and avocado. I boiled some sweet potato and while it was boiling I put a colander on top of the pot and covered it with foil. Into e colander I put the seasoned fillet of salmon (alternatively you could use a can). I lightly fried some leek and garlic in some coconut oil when potatoes and salmon were cooked I threw everything in the blender with an egg, zest and juice of a lemon, and salt and pepper. Then took spoonfuls of this mixture, rolled in coconut flour and lightly fried. Served with crispy bacon and 1/2 smashed avocado. Yummy, different, and has kept me full all day.

I missed booze on this 4th of July, but Day 4 is pretty much in the books.

Awesome recipe for those of us in summer (made it for a pitch in bbq tonight):

Chopped peaches (unpeeled) and avocados (2-3 peaches for every 1 avocado)

Add apple cider vinegar (not a set amount--to taste--I sort of "drizzled" it)

dust w/cayenne pepper

Mix it all up and add more ACV if needed. At first it was too spicy, but a bit more vinegar and all was well. SOOOO GOOD

We have a busy weekend ahead so not sure how much time I'll have to cook ahead, so planning tonight. What do you think of my meal plan for next week, and can you help fill in the gaps with some veggie inspiration

Dinner

What about veggie pizza? Put cauliflower in the blender until it becomes "rice". Add an egg (or two, depending on how make you make). I used to add cheese at this point too, but obviously not now :-)

Line a baking tray with baking paper, spread out cauliflower mixture to form pizza base. Bake in oven til slightly golden brown. Purée tomatoes with garlic, basil, oregano (or any other herbs you like) and spread over base. Top with capsicum, eggplant, onion, mushrooms, whatever veges you like. Bake to warm toppings. Enjoy!

Oh my god. Yesterday was awful. I wasn't myself. I was completely incapable of doing small tasks without some catastrophe.

Yesterday morning, I was happily transferring my newly made bone broth that had been cooking in the crockpot for over 38 hrs into the storage containers and somehow I magically spilled half the batch onto the counters, floors, my legs, everything. Thankfully, the burns I sustained are very minor and my husband cleaned up the mess declaring that he didn't trust me in the kitchen anymore. I literally was just a big ball of fail all day.

It was also very hot yesterday. We live on the second floor apartment in a country that doesn't believe in air conditioning, so it was sweltering. I couldn't safely let the baby play outside either since the neighbors all had their grills out, their dogs running amuck and their kids (much older than mine) playing rambunctiously. Last time we were out to play, my baby almost got trampled by a 7 year old who decided that he should play soccer right where we were sitting, I almost killed him. So, we were stuck inside in the hot hot apartment. Because of this I wasn't hungry for hot food and instead ended up grazing on cold watermelon and grapes and siping on cold water all day. Utter fail, but no no compliant foods.

Today is day 6 and it's much cooler since it drizzled last night and I ate my breakfast of 2 eggs cooked in ghee and steamed broccoli drizzled in ghee with gumption. I am now sipping on my coffee. Hopefully today won't be a major fail like yesterday but so far I haven't caused any damage and I've already cooked breakfast, washed a load of laundry, and washed some dishes, so I am doing much better than yesterday in that department.

Hope everyone's day goes great :)

Day 4 was the hardest so far! July 4th is a huge family gathering of junk food and drinking beer from noon-10! My husband and I woke up with headaches, grumpy. Made it through the day with the family without having to "explain" - did have a piece of "fried chicken" on my plate, but picked and played with it and didn't eat much, skipped the potato salad, baked beans - and said no to Ice cream cake!!!! Hung out at the veggies platter. Drank Pellegrino and Kombucha all day! Really tough! Today they want to do it all over again to "get rid of all the food" yikes! Have to avoid everything all over again! We're going to make it through this Day 5!

Jumping in here... I started yesterday, yes on July 4th. Considering it my "Independence Day" from the sugar dragon. It's rainy pretty much the whole day here so no BBQ's or anything to tempt me.

I'm a 40 year old mom to two kids (3 and almost 5) and wife. We live in New Hampshire. I am an avid runner and have completed everything from 5Ks to marathons. I am hoping to complete my first 50 miler this year. I attempted it last November but missed the time cut off to finish the race.

That said, I have always used my running as my excuse to make poor food choices like carbo loading on pasta the night before a long run and then rewarding myself with ice cream after a long run. Intellectually, I know I can't exercise myself out of bad eating but I always come up with clever reasoning. I need to stop it!

Day 1 went well even though my meal planning wasn't terrific. But I didn't eat any non-compliant foods. So far, so good this morning...eggs with red pepper and some leftover grilled zucchini and some strawberries after.

What about veggie pizza? Put cauliflower in the blender until it becomes "rice". Add an egg (or two, depending on how make you make). I used to add cheese at this point too, but obviously not now :-)

Line a baking tray with baking paper, spread out cauliflower mixture to form pizza base. Bake in oven til slightly golden brown. Purée tomatoes with garlic, basil, oregano (or any other herbs you like) and spread over base. Top with capsicum, eggplant, onion, mushrooms, whatever veges you like. Bake to warm toppings. Enjoy!

Yum pizza sounds fab!  I'll be giving that a try for sure.

Tough day 5 here today.  Been really stressful with the children, general household things getting on top of me and having to go out the afternoon.  I'm feeling pretty down so would normally love to just curl up with a sweet tea and packet of biscuits.  I've resisted though and instead have eaten my body weight in broccoli!  Without really realising I had it as part of two meals today plus I grazed on a few pieces and slices of carrot at the 2nd birthday party we went to today.  I turned down potato wedges, breadsticks and cake - despite DH waving it right in my face saying 'what's wrong with cake?'.

We have a family BBQ tomorrow which I'm dreading.  I know the rules will tell you to man up and just tell people, but my mother in law is a force of nature!  She's already complained how much money she's spent and how difficult it's been to cook for the various guests'  different food requirements (allergies, ethical reasons, religious reasons) so I just can't face the argument!  I'll take some frittata with me and load up on salad and veggies in the hope that she's so busy she won't notice!

Anyway enough of the moan from me; hope you're all getting on well :)

Archived