July 1 Support Thread

lifeography

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a holdover from June.  That makes today day 35.  Foodwise, things are going well.  I seem to be repeating my moods of the first week of June.  Perhaps it isn't food-related, but I have been miserable the last couple days.

I watched the movie King Corn yesterday.  Wow!  It's amazing how many foods have corn in them.  It streams for free for Amazon Prime members, fwiw.

Feeling good about my food choices.  I am so ahead on the prep that I have stuff in the freezer.

Overall, I am proud (still no soda for this sodaholic!) of my progress.  For those of you going through the miserableness of week one, it will get better. :)

Halfway through day five for me.  Still having issues with general body aches, malaise, fatigue.  I need my nap!  I ate on plan yesterday, but the downside was I seemed really hungry and grazed a bit on beef, and nuts.  Not a good plan.  Better after dinner. 

I have a wedding to go to tonight.  I will make some food before we leave, and bring some veggie sticks, homemade mayo, and salsa with me.  I like to order soda water and lime.  Then I don't have to explain to everyone my choices. 

Reading back I saw someone post they were eating Tofu.  I could be wrong, but I believe that it is not compliant.  If I am mistaken please let me know as I like tofu.

LOL.  I didn't even try to stay compliant on the 4th.  As it turns out, we stayed home so I was almost compliant except we had corn tortilla chips.  Tomorrow is going to be my day 1.  I've been paleo and whole30 since September of last year, so unless I go completely on a binge, my regular eating is pretty much compliant.

Ok, so the reason I am posting today.  I read the 30 days of no complaining on the whole9life website.  My husband just got home from a 10-day trip to Australia.  Before I open my big mouth, I am officially declaring that I am starting 30 days of no complaining about anything whatsoever.  There, done.

The kids were absolute angels when we picked him up from the airport.  The kids have been strictly paleo for 10 days while he was gone.  He does not stick to paleo and always undermines my attempts with the kids.  So we officially proved that my ADHD kids can be perfectly well behaved, for at least today, if we adhere strictly to paleo.

Great start.  I can't wait to start my whole30 tomorrow.

One more day with my fun family and our getaway despite meal timing.

Know what I learned? Eating away from home has forced me to get creative and go out of MY box in learning to eat to satisfaction. I realized on this trip I eat the same amount of food everyday at each meal. This trip I had to listen to stomach, mind cues and learn to decipher emotional miscues.

While I'm glad to be going home, I'm glad I learned I can go away and make do away from home. But it's good to bring a couple of things to have handy for food just in case.

Here's the link to the "no complaining" article.

http://whole9life.com/2014/03/article-sucks-can-go-just-one-day-without-complaining/

whole9life.com/2014/03/article-sucks-can-go-just-one-day-without-complaining/

I wonder - does that mean complaining aloud?  Cuz I've got a whole giant dialogue going in my mind after having the house to myself for ten whole days and now having my husband back ......  Probably better that I took this challenge  :-)

Made it through Day 5! The family brought out all the leftovers to get rid of from July 4th (potato salad, baked beans, pasta salad, etc) Didn't feel like being a human garbage disposal, so just ate a grass-fed burger (no bun), with homemade mayo, tomato and lettuce - Pellegrino with lime all night! Did really well except had some shrimp with cocktail sauce and remembered that the commercial sauce was probably loaded with sugar, so I  "dipped" sparingly : )  Feeling a little tired and spacey, but ready for day 6!  

Woke up on Day 6 feeling miserable. Stuffy nose, bloat, headache. I had a wedding yesterday, and I watched all my friends drink and then I was the DD when they went for fast food at 1am, where I had to watch them devour double cheeseburgers and wings. While I was proud of myself, I'm kinda pissed that I feel this awful this morning.

I had, like, two bites of the pork at the wedding (gluten free and no sauce, so guessing it was fine), but I also had a tiny bit of horseradish and cocktail sauce (didn't even think about it and them realized there was probably sugar). I drank a lot of club soda...could that be why I feel so badly? I was so smug when I was thinking about how my friends would be hungover and I'd feel great...and instead,I feel like crap. Ugh.

Ack! The tuna packs that I bought have soy! Good thing I read it before I had it has my post-WO meal. I guess that and the almond milk with carrageen that I also bought will be going to the food bank.

This is day 3 for me. I felt really sluggish yesterday. Took a nap. Still went to bed early despite all the fireworks going off last night. Went for a morning run and feeling okay so far. Now, I need to prepare for a BBQ at my house today and not be tempted to have a beer.

I'm on board - today is day one. I have a trip in a couple of weeks which could disrupt things but I didn't want to wait anymore, as I was living in the "last supper" mentality, eating worse than usual because I knew my Whole 30 was starting soon. Yeesh! Onward and upward!

Really, really proud of my 11 year old. We attended a family gathering yesterday - and there were tons of non-compliant foods including multiple desserts. She didn't complain at all about not being able to eat the junk food. We went through the food line together and she pointed at one or two side dishes as she wasn't sure if they were ok to eat or not ... when I shook my head no she moved on without question. I took baked apples (no sugar ... just spices and coconut milk) and she called that her dessert for the day.

Not only have I seen a huge improvement in her attitude, behavior, etc ... she says she feels better. She was diagnosed with ADHD a few years ago and this no sugar thing makes far more positive impact than any meds we've tried so far!

I'm doing better about fueling ... which for me means eating quite a bit due to all the physical activity in my job. I'm no longer feeling massively hungry mid-afternoon so that's a huge improvement. 

We are headed out to dinner tonight to celebrate a family birthday. I checked the restaurant menu online to verify compliant options were available. Looking forward to grilled fish with a salad (no dressing) on the side. 

During my first W30, I had eggs everdya for breakfast. Now, I have come to appreciate that meal 1 is just that. I will eat whatever I have on hand. Today, I had a chicken apple sausage with mashed butternut squash (and added cinnamon!) good stuff!

I'm working toward this. Yesterday and today I ate raw veggies with plain eggs cooked in ghee. Today was the first day I think I could stomach something besides "breakfast food." I know it's a mental thing though, and I think I'm going to try some chicken and salsa with guac tomorrow for M1.

Today my official Day 1 for my July whole30 after faltering mid-June for my June Whole30.

My kids have severe ADHD.  Paleo has changed our world.  My husband didn't believe it and refused to stay compliant on his watch (I work graveyards and we trade off childcare).  Well, he went to Australia for ten days so I got ten days to prove my kids' behavior improves dramatically on Paleo.  AND I WAS RIGHT!  My kids' behavior is AMAZING!  Even they can feel the difference.  The kids will stay Paleo this month while I do my whole30.  I can make them pancakes and muffins without being tempted, and they're not big sweets-eaters anyway.  I did find a cheat to make them coconut milk yogurt because I was sick of buying the little containers of coconut milk yogurt.  It's basically a 50-50 split of coconut milk and almond milk mixed with some gelatin.  Fooled my kids, got gelatin into them and saved me a ton of money.

My big test for the month is 30 days of no complaining.  Boy is it hard!  My husband and I don't see eye to eye about much about the household.  I guess I get to see what he is like without a shrew of a wife nagging at him all the time ..... at least for one month.  I'm not telling him about the challenge I am taking.  Wish me luck.

What a weekend! It is the start of Day 7 for me here and I am so glad I had the energy I did on Sunday to cook all my meals for the week even though it meant lugging it in my bag for my 3.2km walk to work.

I made sweet potato and leek soup with coconut milk, egg salad with homemade mayonnaise, crispy sugar-free bacon and roasted a batch of veggies that I can mix with avocado and leftover meat from dinners.

The sweet potato and leek soup turned out so much better than I thought it would. Literally just sweet potato and leek cooked in ghee, then bring to the boil in vegetable stock, once done, blend together in food processor then add a can of coconut milk. Soooo beautiful, I'm actually looking forward to having this for the rest of the week :)

I also had a win with the in-laws who came over for coffee on Sunday afternoon. Normally they load us up with biscuits and cakes but I told them I would cook them something. I boiled some apples and rhubarb in water and reduced it, then popped this in the oven and topped it with a blend of shredded coconut and coconut oil which went brown and crispy. Literally, four ingredients and it was so sweet and lovely and it didn't matter that I stole a mouthful because there was no sugar in it :)

Can't wait to keep this going!

@cortner1195 - I'm eating tofu. I'm following the vegetarian plan which allows tofu in limited quantities for protein. You can't mix the veggie and meat plans though.

That's awesome.  Did not know that.  Can you have other soy as well?

Today my official Day 1 for my July whole30 after faltering mid-June for my June Whole30.

My kids have severe ADHD due to prenatal alcohol exposure.  Paleo has changed our world.  My husband didn't believe it and refused to stay compliant on his watch (I work graveyards and we trade off childcare).  Well, he went to Australia for ten days so I got ten days to prove my kids' behavior improves dramatically on Paleo.  AND I WAS RIGHT!  My kids' behavior is AMAZING!  Even they can feel the difference.  The kids will stay Paleo this month while I do my whole30.  I can make them pancakes and muffins without being tempted, and they're not big sweets-eaters anyway.  I did find a cheat to make them coconut milk yogurt because I was sick of buying the little containers of coconut milk yogurt.  It's basically a 50-50 split of coconut milk and almond milk mixed with some gelatin.  Fooled my kids, got gelatin into them and saved me a ton of money.

My big test for the month is 30 days of no complaining.  Boy is it hard!  My husband and I don't see eye to eye about much about the household.  I guess I get to see what he is like without a shrew of a wife nagging at him all the time ..... at least for one month.  I'm not telling him about the challenge I am taking.  Wish me luck.

Love the no complaining challenge!

1. Day six is in the books, and I am happy with how I am doing.  My last whole 30 it took until day 17 to feel this good and happy with the world.  I did have a bit of a energy crash this afternoon, and lots of pain later in the day.  A nap, and a hypnosis tape fixed things up. 

I made garlic cauliflower mashed "potatoes" for dinner, a bit too much GARLIC.  Wow.

drtracyb.. good luck... I am finding not complaining really hard too. Are you making paleo pancakes? with plantan and egg? I havent tried them but was thinking of making them for my other half.

That's awesome.  Did not know that.  Can you have other soy as well?

You can have tempeh, natto and edamame (not that I've heard of the first two!) alongside properly prepared lentils. The shopping list is at http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-veg-shopping-list.pdf. The big no-nos are refined soy like fake meat etc.

Yesterday wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I successfully negotiated the family BBQ by loading up my plate with veggies and salad, then getting my protein fix with the frittata I took with me, eaten in secret while I went upstairs to feed the baby! Unfortunately I didn't have time to precook any meals yesterday due to an unscheduled visit to A&E with my eldest daughter later that evening. I was really hungry by the end of our wait but managed to resist the vending machine!

Is it normal to feel bloated at this stage? I swear my clothes are tighter than a week ago!

Archived