I had always had an interest in health and fitness.  A few years ago, I made the switch for our family over to real food and I had even completed several 5Ks.  However,my consistency was not there for either area.  I saw many friends making positive changes in their lives so in December 2013 I made the decision to work on my health.  I set a goal of running a half-marathon in April 2014 and a full marathon in November 2014.  I was training well, but was still neglecting my diet.  Unfortunately, I was injured in March of 2014.  My dreams were dashed as I was ordered to be non-weight bearing on crutches indefinitely. As I could not work on my over all fitness for the time being, I turned my attention to my diet.  At the time, I was overweight (even though I'd been running consistently for months) with horrible eating habits and uncontrollable cravings for everything I knew I shouldn't be eating.  I wasn't sure I could win this battle I'd been fighting for the last 8-10 years.

After hearing vaguely about Whole 30, I started researching.  I talked to one of my friends who had completed several W30s.  She answered questions and offered to mentor me through my first W30.  I started reading ISWF and finally agreed to start my first W30 on June 1st, 2014.  I didn't expect much since I couldn't exercise.  I had no idea what I was in store for!

After a rocky start the first week, the rest was smooth sailing.  It was like my body was born for W30!  Over the course of the month, I posted my meals and progress daily on Facebook.  Many friends and family asked about it and several even showed interest in trying it themselves.  At the end of the month, I was astonished.  I lost 7 inches and 11.4 pounds!  I am LIVING PROOF that changing diet alone can make a truly significant difference.

Along with the outward changes, I also noticed innumerable inward changes that are FAR more valuable.  My FitBit proved I was sleeping better (went from restless 14 times a night to 4), more energy that lasts all day WITHOUT caffeine, all my many digestive issues have been eliminated (this was HUGE for me), and a significant decrease in acne/rashes from head to toe.  I am no longer hungry between meals - and I truly have ZERO cravings.  Cravings and lack of "willpower" used to be my biggest weaknesses.  Now, the foods I used to crave don't even come to mind!  That has majorly boosted my confidence and self-esteem.  My self-image is better than it has ever been in my life.

I'm now stepping into my post-W30 journey.  While I do plan to reintroduce key items as ISWF suggests, I don't actually miss any of them.  I do think it will be incredibly helpful in maintaining this new lifestyle to know how I react to those foods, though.  After the reintroduction phase, I plan to continue to stay as close to W30 as possible.  I just plain feel better!  To me, that alone is worth it.

Now, several of my friends and family have told me that watching my journey has inspired them to do better.  That is something I never expected and what makes W30 unique.  I shared my menus, recipe lists, and shopping lists with anyone who asked!  Now, my mom is starting a W30 in July and an ex co-worker is starting one in August (and she's asked me to help her cook!).  I am beyond blessed and grateful that my friend first shared her journey that inspired me...which in turn has inspired so many others!  I truly believe W30 is saving lives!

As for me....I AM WHOLE 30!

post-47858-0-67748800-1404163685_thumb.j

Archived