June 1st Support Thread-- Reintroduction thread

CharDoll

Hi all. I'm not really doing reintroduction since this is my 3rd Whole30 but I wanted to start this for those who were following the june 1st Support thread. :-) I'll pop on to see if I can be of any help or support.

I'm not in a hurry to do reintros. I finally bought the book last night because I am that concerned that I will do this wrong and lose my progress.

Like they say, though, I know I can't stay in the bubble forever.

We are going to spend several days with my inlaws and I almost think it will be easier for me to stay 100% compliant than it will be to try reintros. But dh is planning to grill ribs for everyone with his favorite spices and sauce, and that means a little added sugar... Maybe staying compliant except for having that one day would be an experiment in itself? Idk.

I'm really nervous about reintro.

This is my first Whole30 and I didn't believe it at first but: changing my food actually CHANGED MY LIFE. I never expected this program to have such an impact on everything. My mind is blown. Sure I don't ALWAYS feel awesome and energetic (I still have a lot of improvements to make in the sleep and caffeine departments), but I can't believe how good I feel when I wake up in the morning. And then all through the afternoon. And then still at the end of a 10 hour bartending shift when I've been on my feet the whole time and used to binge on nuts and cheese and wine to try and knock myself out after all the stress of work. These 30 days have been truly revolutionary for me. 

I have also struggled with eating disorders my whole adult life and this program has helped stop urges to binge and purge more than anything else I've tried and dare I say: it may even be curing me of it. (I know that's a controversial thing to say, if you want to discuss more in detail or have experience with this kind of thing, feel free to message me).

So I'm scared to reintro! I'm scared that reintroducing one thing in a totally measured and scientific way will lead to the floodgates opening back up and I'll be giving in to cravings again. 

I'm also so comforted by the structure of the program that I'm afraid to open back up to all the choices I face about what to eat in daily life. I don't think its realistic for me to do a Whole365 (especially as someone with an eating disorder who loves to take things to the extreme), but I would love advice tips and other stories about June newbies who might be scared too. 

Libberation…I can 100% times 1000 can relate to you. Please know that. I won't get into much detail. I am a functioning, confident working human who has unfortunately battled the same thing for years. too many years.

I feel so liberated but I know I am not cured. I do know I am on the right path and it's a reliance on what comforted us before that we have to work on. Clearly the Whole30 with it's structure and of course the FOOD balance for our bodies and brains set us on the right path.

I can message you or you can message me but my plan and my advice is do not restrict your food intake in terms of the plan. You will set yourself up for cravings which will lead to binging and purging. The last 30 days I found in stressful, emotional situations or boredom, if I hadn't eaten properly with enough or extra fat or time had lapsed, I started getting cravings, etc. When I felt full and satisfied, the binge/purge was less likely to pop in my head to deal with something.

mind you, there were days I had that uncomfortable full feeling ( you know what i mean) but I sat on that feeling. I kept telling myself, what was going to happen from eating too many veggies? Now after meals, I don't rush back in the kitchen. If at all possible, I sit and wait for awhile (read, watch tv) or whatever and let my food settle and I feel okay. Deep breaths help a lot.

In terms of new food, I plan to stick to template but won't sweat oils meat was cooked in,etc. I haven't eaten bread/wheat etc for years and I don't intend to. I might try ice cream once in awhile but ONLY after my 3 complete meals and only if I really want it. I can always go back to the true template for a few days if I feel uncomfortable.

Thank you for opening up. You have someone sharing your struggle with you. We can do this.

today was weird. anyone run into the following:

I've upped the fat considerably that last week or so. i've been able to go 6 hours between meals. But leading up to meals, i'm not starving but I'll still fix my normal portion plate. So as I start to eat, i'm all of a sudden hungry. i'm not emotionally eating but i finished my plate. and I feel fine.

i don't get the weird i'm not hungry but guess i really am hungry miscues.

anyone else?

I've upped the fat considerably that last week or so. i've been able to go 6 hours between meals. But leading up to meals, i'm not starving but I'll still fix my normal portion plate. So as I start to eat, i'm all of a sudden hungry. i'm not emotionally eating but i finished my plate. and I feel fine.

anyone else?

This happens to.me all the time. Or I'll feel hungry then it goes away and while I'm cooking I feel full. But then I start to eat and I'm hungry again. I guess when we are nourishing our bodies properly we don't get the growling tummies and blood sugar drops of old.

This happens to.me all the time. Or I'll feel hungry then it goes away and while I'm cooking I feel full. But then I start to eat and I'm hungry again. I guess when we are nourishing our bodies properly we don't get the growling tummies and blood sugar drops of old.

anyone else?

I relate to this as well! What is that about? I'm NOT hungry and then I start eating and then GET hungry as I finish? Then I just stop. And then I'm not hungry again for like 5-6 hours. 

Glad I'm not the only one. Whatever it is, I'm glad every hours I ate the full meal (and as we said, I was all of a sudden hungry).

Felt great this morning. I realize other people with more normal eating backgrounds may not eat when hungry but for now, I have to stay on track and not cut corners even IF I think I'm not hungry.

Great thing is in between meals, if I'm hungry, I give myself the fish/broccoli question and have been able to tell I'm just "emotionally" hungry and cannot partake in meeting that hunger by eating food.

On to day 32!

This isn't about me, but I just had to share somewhere...

I think I told you all in our other support thread that what got me started on this journey, aside from a desire for greater personal health, was to help my dh improve his health.  In January, his a1c was 8.9 and the doctor wanted to start him on insulin, but she gave him 3 months to get his diet under control and see what progress he could make on his own with the help of some jentadueto.

DH had his blood panel this week and we just heard from the doctor - no official numbers,but she is taking him off the jentadueto and putting him on a much lower dose of metformin only - and she said that if his progress continues, in 6 months she foresees being able to take him off of all meds.  Amazing what eating healthy can do!  I can't wait till we get all of his numbers in the mail - I'm curious to see how his cholesterol and triglycerides have changed, too.  DH said the doctor was floored when she saw his 30 lb weight loss yesterday and said, "You got skinny!  This is from paleo?  Did your wife get skinny, too?" Well... we are definitely on our way, that's for sure  :D

Edit to add: DH and I talked last night about what other improvements he'd like to make, and I believe I've convinced him to give the meal template a go.  We are planning to do a Whole 30 together in September!

I ate dairy yesterday, and the only issues I had was a bit of a carb burst after eating it (even just from a small amount of cheese!) and last night my nasal passageways were a bit swollen. I had to do a nasal rinse to get them to open up for me.

I'm thinking I can handle dairy in very small doses. I'll try again in a few days to see what one serving does.

anyone else?

I'm like that in the mornings now. I've never been the type to eat soon after waking up, usually eating a couple to 3 hours later. Now that I am eating within an hour, I am not hungry but as soon as I start eating, I want all the food.

We ended yesterday but are starting reintro tomorrow so we can have ice cream on our son's first birthday :-) I will probably just stick to dairy for a while. I have to start a 7 day antibiotic tomorrow and those always throw me off. If I can, I would like to wait and try to reintroduce grains after that. Hubby will reintro things more quickly because he will be going to India in two weeks with no control over the food. 

I reintroduced eggs on the first.  I had left them out during the whole 30 because I had a suspicion that they might be an issue for me. Well, I felt bloated and the measurements showed it.  I had lost 1 1/2 inches in my waist & 10 lbs over the course of the whole 30.  The day after consuming eggs, I had put and inch back on my waist and 1 1/2 lbs back on the scale.  The second day, the inches and weight were gone.  So no eggs for me, boo.  I am reintro'ing butter tomorrow, I hope that one goes better.

My boyfriend came into town last night, and we were hungry so we ordered Chinese food. I was feeling good after not having any dairy for a while, so I ordered my favorite. Sweet n Sour chicken.

Evidently that was too many carbs or something. I've always had an issue with my body heat rising when laying down for bed, but it's gotten better after cutting carbs down to less than 50grams a day...well, last night when I laid down for bed and started to relax, my body heat rose to the level of MORDOR and I laid there, wide awake until around 3am or so.

I was not amuse.

I reintroduced eggs on the first.  I had left them out during the whole 30 because I had a suspicion that they might be an issue for me. Well, I felt bloated and the measurements showed it.  I had lost 1 1/2 inches in my waist & 10 lbs over the course of the whole 30.  The day after consuming eggs, I had put and inch back on my waist and 1 1/2 lbs back on the scale.  The second day, the inches and weight were gone.  So no eggs for me, boo.  I am reintro'ing butter tomorrow, I hope that one goes better.

Oh wow. I don't know what I would do without eggs. :(

Reintroduced dairy on my first day back, just some semi-firm sheeps milk cheese at lunch, but kind of a lot of it, like maybe 3 oz. It doesn't make my body feel too bad (yet), the main problem is that I just want to eat it forever and ever. I find it very difficult to eat a reasonable amount of cheese and then move on. So maybe its better to just keep it out of my diet entirely. Glad to have learned :)

Had rum and on ice flavored tropical water. Had two sips. Honestly wasn't interested even though everyone else around me was partaking.

Oddly since away from home the last two days and hanging with family, all I've been craving is grilled veggies and avocados. I have meat at lunch but dinners have been loads of garlic, grilled broccoli and other veggies drizzled with oil. Yum.

Should be interesting what it will be like at home when I go back in a few days.

So far, I've reintroduced dairy. I feel fine, but I've gained a pound or two? It fluctuates. Not sure if that is dairy or just the fact that I'm not strictly eating the template anymore. I'm also on an antibiotic so I am trying to get my yogurt and kefir in. 

DH seems to be able to handle butter, cheese, an yogurt in small amounts, but not milk. Not surprising, I guess.

I found out that I cannot drink milk. Cheese, butter and ice cream just give me a bit of a sugar boost, but milk makes me sick. I'm not a big milk drinker, so that's fine.

I'm not sure what caused it, but I had a horrible headache the last couple days. I'm thinking it was slight dehydration from the humidity and heat. But I did have gluten on Friday, so it could have been that, too.

i reintroduced condiments like my favorite Asian brand chili sauce (with the seeds).

I've been eating pretty much the same but I am not as "regular" in the bathroom dept like I was during the whole30-45.

i'm starving so i'm eating normal meals but nothing is moving.

ugh.

Archived