My whole30 French style -- turning into whole 60

Hutlifr

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 42

Meal 1: leftover cabbage and red beet salad from last night, with eggs

Meal 2: slice of leg of lamb, couscous (cauliflower rice prepared like I do my couscous with olive oil and madras curry)

post-47350-0-83424600-1406747674_thumb.j

Meal 3: butter lettuce, radishes, shiitake mushroom omelette. Half an avocado. Pineapple.

post-47350-0-36782300-1406747832_thumb.j

Thanks Meadowlily... Not a chef, just a very visual eater. I need colors.

YTu, George was just eating off the menu. He seemed puzzled by my choice though given all the goodies offered...

You're a Chef in my book.  Whoa Nelly....the details and care you put into each dish.   Simply irresistible.  Reminds me of the lyrics..."she's so fine - there's no tellin' where the money went."  "She's simply irresistible". :D 

Day 43

Meal 1: bolognaise, scrambled egg, sautéed red peppers and onions. Coffee with home made almond milk.

Meal 2: roasted rabbit leg on thyme, olives, and garlic, leaf spinach and tomato

post-47350-0-30328600-1406838136_thumb.j

Meal 3: baked mackerel filets, curried cauliflower rice, and tomato salad with egg and basil.

post-47350-0-66022400-1406838294_thumb.j

So today is the day I was going to get refills for my significant other's meds. Mind you he is not following this program though as a diabetic he really should, but since I do the cooking, he has no choice but eat what gets put on his plate. He is not ready to give up his cheese, or occasional pastry or cookie, or bread. So what I noticed today was that his stash of pain meds is still in his little pill box... He has been suffering of back pain for several years now, and has been popping 3 to 4 pills a day. Since curious minds inquire, I asked him what the deal was with all those pills left? He answered that he did not need to take any since his back is not bothering him anymore...

I would like to introduce legumes and gluten back to HIS diet, to make the point that my way of eating has healed him of his back pain.....

August 1st is Swiss National Day, so I made a farmers' breakfast as I remember my grandparents having. Those were the first potatoes in 44 days, and I was very disappointed in how they tasted. I remember thinking how I would have such a hard time without my hash browns when I first started this program! Hmmm really...

Meal 1: hash browns ("rösti"), eggs, and compliant bacon

Meal 2: oven roasted chicken with a medley of veggies consisting of Swiss chards, red and yellow peppers, and a baked sweet potato. I also had added garlic and onions which tasted so good once roasted.

Meal 3: butter lettuce, smoked salmon, an egg with home made mayo, and some cherry tomatoes

post-47350-0-88716200-1406927025_thumb.j

Day 45

Meal 1: sautéed Swiss chards, leftover veggie medley from lunch yesterday, and eggs

Meal 2: chopped steaks, tomatoes, olives, butter lettuce, and onions

Snack: Parma ham with melon

Meal 4: roasted sweet potato, Swiss chards, tuna with mayo, and an egg

Today was a very long day, which started at 6 am. I was busy painting so I had to fit in a snack since I was not going to have dinner until I was done painting, which was very late...

post-47350-0-64114800-1407013933_thumb.j

Day 46

Meal 1: fried eggs, sautéed spinach

Meal 2: calf liver, spinach patties. Half a mango.

Meal 3: salad, olives, half avocado, Parma ham, tomato

I bought too much fresh spinach on Thursday, so I was trying to figure out how I could prepare it without having that strong iron taste. I was thinking of how my mom used to make patties with left over cream spinach. So I took my sautéed spinach, put it into the blender, added two eggs, some arrow root, seasoned it with salt and pepper, and fried them in coconut oil. Not bad. Between the liver and the spinach, I think I overdosed on iron today....

post-47350-0-70488600-1407093354_thumb.j

Day 47

Meal 1: scrambled eggs with ghee (the best ever) with Swiss chards and two slices of prosciutto

Meal 2: tendron de veau braisé (slow cooked middle cut breast of veal), multicolor carrots

Meal 3: tomato salad, tuna, and olives

post-47350-0-99986400-1407355629_thumb.j

Day 48

Meal 1: scrambled eggs with ghee, snap peas

Meal 2: pork roast, potatoes, and carrots. Strawberries

Meal 3: tabbouleh (substituted grain with cauliflower rice), stuffed cabbage, slice of pork roast

post-47350-0-67366300-1407356787_thumb.j

Day 51

Today is all about getting ready for my first 8 hour road trip tomorrow since I started this program, and I am prepping not only food, but myself for the psychological impact. In France, not only you get the same kind of temptation at gas stations and rest areas in terms of food, but on top of it, they offer regional delicacies, which is always the big temptation since I feel it's this one time only opportunity to really get this real stuff...

Visiting mom is always a challenge in itself, because she is negative Nelly... I love her to pieces, but her attitude wears me out, and I realized I have not had any major stressors since starting my whole30. I will be meeting childhood friends, meals will be involved which I won't cook, so I am telling myself to just concentrate on one day at the time, and enjoy each one to the fullest, no matter how much negative Nelly will be nagging...

Also being back in my home country Switzerland will be interesting, since I usually splurge on cheeses, cold cuts, breads, and my all time favorite: yogurts.... I used to have yogurts by the pound.. Yes, by the pound... So I am packing all my oils and spices, to be sure I'll have no excuse to go stray as soon as I get there, and take whatever is left in the fridge in terms of compliant food.

I have a plan, and my plan will work, and I will not allow mom or anybody else derail me.

Meal 1: scrambled eggs with ghee, sautéed red and green peppers, sautéed sweet potatoes

Meal 2: sautéed heifer liver with toasted garlic slivers, green beens, and potato salad

Meal 3: leaf salad, guacamole, tomatoes, and left over roasted pork

flowrhead!!!!!! chocolates are a splurge of the past.... they always did an awful number on my digestion and elimination, and I have weaned myself off them over a period of two years ... pre whole30 thank god.

Day 52 (travel day)

Meal 1: left over potato salad, sautéed snap peas, and prosciutto and ham muffins

Meal 2: at the pit stop: raw red peppers, one avocado guacamole, 1/2 mango, lots of cherry tomatoes.

Meal 3: upon arrival: more red peppers, smoked salmon, one avocado, Belgian endives, and more cherry tomatoes

Oh my goodness, at my first pitstop in Burgundy, I was offered oven fresh croissants, and a local specialty with my coffee... I did not care much about the croissants, but the local specialty... But then I realized, I will come back to this awesome corner soon, and this local specialty will still be around... So yeah!

Travelling usually does a terrible number on my transit of food thru the system.... sitting long hours, limited drinking to avoid gross toilets at pitstops, but I was fine this time... this whole30 thinh is really God sent for my digestion and elimination :)

Day 53

So I survived my travel day and first day in company of mom. I have not seen her since April, and the only change she commented on was my hair. She said something like "you hair looks so thick, what have you done?" I answered very simply, "I eliminated poison from what I put into my mouth"... no comment about anything else, which is not surprising... Negative Nelly....

Meal 1: sauteed red peppers with onions, boiled eggs

Meal 2: home roasted chicken breast, snap peas, and potatoes. Lamb lettuce. Peach

Meal 3: some more home roasted chicken breast, lamb lettuce, black radish, grape tomatoes, 2 fresh passion fruits

Now the chicken was not just a chicken, it is THE chicken from the Bresse Region (Poulet de Bresse). Its incredibly expensive, but oh boy, it's the best you can ever eat when in France. Yum

The afternoon was spent up on a close by mountain, gazing at the alps afar, and watching what people around me were feeding themselves with.... lots of whipped cream, ice cream, meringues. The best looking was a huge place of cold cuts, which probably are loaded with preservatives, sugar, and stuff you can't pronounce. It sure was pretty though...

At dinner, mom was inquiring on how much longer I would not eat cheese or bread, or cold cuts. I did not even have to think long to answer, I just said "as long as it hurts going through my digestive system"... I will probably endulge one day in a cheese fondue, or raclette, or whatever Swiss cheese dish there is, but I will no longer eat cheese on a daily basis. 

So this makes me think about this coming Sunday being my 60th day on this program. What will be next? not sure. I am scared of reintro, and I still don't feel like I think the program was designed for me to feel. 

On Sunday, there is a huuuuge barbecue planned out on a farm, with lots of compliant meat, but I am sure also lots of non compliant side dishes. Would it be rude to just eat meat? Or should I force my way into the kitchen where all the prep is going on on Saturday, and help out while checking how the side dishes are prepared? These are nice farmers, and I cannot bring my veggies to their table if all they do is grow and eat their own crops... That would be extremely offensive and rude!

What shall I do?

Congratulations on coming up to day 60 Hutlifr - that's amazing!

It's day 60 after all and if I was you I'd probably not so much worry about what exactly went in the side dishes but just eat what seemed "cleanest" but then I don't know what French side dishes are likely to be like and how easy it will be to tell? I'm guessing butter and cream will be involved? 

You could fill your plate with meat and the simplest veg dishes and just be sure to say how much you'd love to try all the other dishes but that the local meat is too good to pass... Or if it is a nice sociable thing to go check out what's happening in the kitchen on Saturday then why not do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Ytu...

After thinking about this some more, and doing a whole 30 for an extra month, I finally decided no to stress to much about cutting this one day short if I knew of any dairy sneaking into the dishes. So sure enough, upon our arrival we were greeted with the nicest zucchini quiche, consisting of dough and cream, and cheese. I loaded up on their salads, tomatoes and lettuce from their garden, and had just a tiny slice of quiche after they presented me with the tray for the third time... I just did not have the heart to say no a third time after they went out of their way to do everything from scratch. So intro on day 60 was dairy, and buckwheat.... On day 64, and no side effects...

Now what? Does this mean I can just have dairy and buckwheat? Already before whole30 I knew that milk was a problem for me, so no trying that anyways, but I really have no clue on what I should do or try next.

So until I figure it out, I continue with whole 30 compliant food...

• 3 months later...

Year end wrap up... What happened since August? I already knew milk was out, and so was gluten. As a cheese lover, I figured it would be so worth to do a reintro of cheese types. I also tried wine, but for the love of God it now all tastes like vinegar... Darn taste bud reset!!

I dedicated September to the discovery of what cheese will do to me... Started with fresh goat cheese, and had no problem. Same with sheep cheese. My "fromager" (cheese vendor) at the farmers market helped me out a lot. He had other customers who, with age, had experienced digestive problems with dairy, and allowed me to taste cheese without buying any. So three times a week, he had me try cheeses other customers would tolerate, and this is how I discovered that the more the cheese had aged, the less problems I was experiencing. Camembert and Brie like cheeses are out for me. But a small slice of an aged gruyère, comté, or even Parmesan would not harm me.

October was dedicated to trying out other dairy products, such as yogurts and creams, from heavy to light, and there too I discovered the higher the fat content, the less problems I experienced. However, that category of dairy still bloats me if I ingest lots.

I have also discovered that it helps me if I take digestive enzymes when I go off plan with dairy products. Serving Meals like cheese raclette and fondue are just too common here in France and Switzerland when you have people over, and when things get too bad, I take my Iberogast drops to ease the pain when the cheese transits.

MSG... Just recently noticed that it could be the culprit for two episodes of night sweats. Mom did the cooking, and little did I know that her broth was loaded with that stuff. I want to eat totally clean for a week, and reintro that broth just to confirm my suspicion.

Not sure what to do next. Given everything else that is going on in my life right now, I am glad I have this program to follow that keeps me healthy and strong, and able to deal with all the stressors of day to day life. My back pain has made a quiet comeback, and I need to address this issue next...

• 1 month later...

More on wine tastes like vinegar.....

So on a recent trip to the south of France's wine region, I was telling my winemaker friend how all wines now taste like vinegar to me. Red and white... He poured me some sweet sparkling wine, and asked if it tasted bitter. As a matter fact, it did! So he explained that I had extra sensitive taste buds that were able to detect the acid that in each wine, which is quite rare, and the sweeter the wine, the more bitter it would taste...

Granted, it took months to get my taste buds to that point without even knowing, and I sure hope that one day these symptoms will disappear!

Archived