Really Struggling--Day 16 & Nursing a 5 mo old

Hello!  I'm on day 16 of my first Whole30, and I'm really struggling.  I wanted to do the Whole30 primarily as a weight loss vehicle; however, I chose this program specifically because of the emphasis on overall health and well being (versus Weight Watchers, other clean eating programs, etc.).  I have had three children in three and a half years and gotten the weight off relatively easily the first two times.  It's a little slower coming off this time.  Typically, I exercise five to six times a week, and I prepare healthy, home-cooked meals--meat, veggies, limited starches, some fruit.  (By way of an example, I haven't had to create or find recipes for meats and veggies--I am using recipes and meals I'm used to preparing.)  I gained 33 pounds this pregnancy, which is on the high end but definitely within the range of what my doctor said was ok.  When I got pregnant, and normally, I am a pound below what my father-in-law calls "the perfect runner's weight": two pounds for every inch of my height.  All that to say, I did not come into this program eating "Twinkies, Bloomin' Onions, and chili-cheese-fries." 

And I feel awful.  The first week I was fine.  But since then, my energy has been on a steady decline, I can't get to sleep at night (which is unusual), and I am lethargic during exercise.  I look like someone punched me in the face the circles around my eyes are so big...I feel like I am Debbie Downer over here, but I am not feeling the positive health effects that I was hoping for.  And I'm far enough into the program that I don't really understand why.  The newsletters say that "there's a good chance" I'm feeling better and my energy's up...unless there are "medical conditions, serious metabolic derangement, or other difficult lifestyle factors" that would prevent it.  I am certain I've lost some weight and inches, but frankly, at this point, that's not enough.  I just feel really crummy, and as badly as I want the last of my baby weight off, I now realize I was really looking forward to some of the other benefits of this program--mainly more energy!!!  I work part-time from home but am mainly a stay-at-home mom...I need energy as much as anyone to keep up with my children...I am really on the fence about completing the program because I don't know that feeling this bad is worth it...Please help!  Is it worth it?  Will it get better?  

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad! Would you mind posting a typical day of food or two for us to take a look? I suspect that you are not eating enough, especially for a breastfeeding mom, but looking at your usual meals will tell us a lot more.

Breakfast: two or three eggs, scrambled or fried w clarified butter

OR poached and served over half an avocado

AND fruit

Lunch: Salad with tons of raw veggies (carrots, tomatoes, onions, etc.), sometimes a hard boiled egg, grilled chicken, black olives, part of an avocado 

OR

homemade chicken salad, veggies from previous night's supper

Supper: herb-marinated pork, roasted carrots, roasted zucchini

OR

grilled chicken; sautéed zucchini, onions, squash; roasted sweet potato

If I get hungry for a snack, it's generally around 5, and I will eat some (1/3rd cup--guess, I'm not measuring) raw cashews.  Right now, we have fresh cherries, which are always a real treat because they're so $$$.  I will eat those as a snack if I need it.

I drink three CamelBak's of water a day without even thinking about it--so 72 ounces.

Thanks. The food selections look pretty good, but I don't think you are eating enough. 3 would be a minimum of eggs for breakfast, for example (try for 3 or 4 vs. 2 or 3). Adding veggies to your breakfast might help too, and incorporating some red meat (beef, bison or lamb) for one or more of your meals.

That said, it can be tough to get comfortable eating as much as I think you really need to thrive. Would you consider adding a whole fourth meal for a few days (instead of the cashews)?

Like you guessed, I think that sounds slightly uncomfortable :)  But yes, I'm willing to try it.  Can you please offer suggestions of when and what?  Certainly not a fourth full on meal...right?

Certainly not a fourth full on meal...right?

A fourth full on meal, yes. But if you can't get your head around it, at least do a "mini-meal" where you have protein, fat and vegetables. As for when, it kind of depends on your current meal timing. You could have it when you currently have your snack, or take a look at the biggest break you currently have between meals (could be mid-morning or mid-afternoon) and insert this one.

OK.  Thank you!  I will try that this week and see how it goes.  I really, really want this to work.  More energy, not worrying about what I eat--there's no downside to me!  Thank you for your help and your prompt responses.  I really appreciate it!!!

I am doing the w30 for the 2nd time, first time with a baby on the boob! Already, I am seeing how I will need that 4th meal. There is no way I could get enough on one plate to make it on 3 meals a day. Also, if I may add a suggestion, would you consider having a bit more carbs? I know that helped me a lot on the first 30, with energy and lasting between meals. 

Good luck!

Three babies in 3 1/2 years and your youngest is 5 months old and nursing I am going to guess full-time. PLUS working out 5-6 times per week, PLUS working part-time? And little fruit & starchy vegetables. Wow. No wonder you feel awful! I had 3 kids in 5 1/2 years and I nursed them all exclusively for over a year each. I KNOW how much energy this requires.

Saying you are not eating enough is an understatement. More carbs, more fat, more everything. Continuing with a Whole 30 at this point? Man, I don't know. I am inclined to tell you focus on SLEEP (which hasn't been discussed here) and focus on being the best you can be for those babies. They do not care whether you are back in your old jeans or not. If you are achieving that by under eating & feeling like crap, that is the wrong way to go about it & not sustainable anyway. What is your gut telling you will make you FEEL good? Because that is what really matters.

That is too funny, I met a girl from Abbeville last time I did this. 

Well, the starches really helped me a lot. Sweet potatoes of course, the regular and the japanese (white) ones. I'd have them with breakfast most days. And I eat white potatoes of various sorts too, even though they suggest not eating them. They are loaded with minerals and like most root veg, are great for the digestive system. Contrary to popular belief they are not 'empty' carbs. Most of the research that supports that was done on conventional potatoes grown in depleted soil with loads of chemicals (so that's my defense of white potatoes!!). I worked as a personal trainer in Charleston and had a great network of holistic practitioners across the country.

Fruit to your liking. Of course I love fruit, but I find too much makes me hungry.  The main thing is finding your equation! And being willing to try things that seem counter-intuitive... like the extra meal. I know I was surprised last time by how much more fat I needed to eat! I started my first 30 at a healthy normal weight. I did not have weight loss as a goal, I wanted to reduce gut inflammation, and do a detox of sorts. I lost 6lbs, have never been leaner... and felt like a superstar (by the end)! Also, I got pregnant...accidentally on purpose. But, this time is different with nursing and not being able to exercise like I want to. So, I'm here to learn!!

Oh yeah, and the not sleeping part... so my expectations of 'weight loss' are minimal. I really just want to clean up and nourish myself with a little more intention. I'm taking it one day at a time!

Continuing with a Whole 30 at this point? Man, I don't know. I am inclined to tell you focus on SLEEP (which hasn't been discussed here) and focus on being the best you can be for those babies. They do not care whether you are back in your old jeans or not. If you are achieving that by under eating & feeling like crap, that is the wrong way to go about it & not sustainable anyway. What is your gut telling you will make you FEEL good? Because that is what really matters.

I totally agree!  I do want my body to be a little bit more normal--I can't help it...I don't know how not to want weight loss and a little normalcy :)  BUT I also want to achieve that in a healthy way--so important!  I have seen positive effects on my milk--it is a lot more fatty and, basically, healthy looking than it had been prior to starting this.  I would love to feel more energized and less sluggish AND be lean and fit in the process...It's why I wanted to do the Whole30.  I'm going to be diligent about adding another meal for the next week and see how that feels.

Thank y'all for all of the feedback!  I was so discouraged this morning.  It is so wonderful to hear encouraging news from other mamas!!!  

Don't be discouraged... whatever you decide to do, continuing with modifications or deciding its just not the right time for whatever reasons... if you are listening to your 'gut' its the right choice. And I hear you, how can we not want the weight loss... I know I do! I am trying to be patient... as I am only 2months into postpartum, and I had a c-section :( . I really don't know what my body will do... its brand new territory.  I like to think of the dietary changes as 'healing' and 'nourishing' rather than restrictive and loss oriented. Some how the 'positive' vs the 'negative', changes it for me. So that I'm focused on what I'm gaining, rather than what I want to be losing. But like I said, I'm right there with you, I want my lean mean machine back asap! That's just being real with the duality of it! :) 

• 3 weeks later...

This may be coming a bit late, but I have found that a really good fourth meal/ snack is to mix together 2 hard boiled eggs with 1/2 an avocado, lime juice, a dollop of homemade mayo, salt and pepper. I use sliced cucumber, jicama, and carrots to dip. It has a great snack feeling to it, while providing plenty of fat, protein, and carbohydrates. Very good for that late afternoon slump!

I can say, as a mother exclusively breastfeeding a nine-month-old and running around after a three-year-old with autism, it is very important that you eat as much as you want. It's so hard to get out of the "eat less to weigh less" mentality, but it just doesn't work that way. Not to mention, it feels really good when you have people over and watch them pick at their bird-sized portions, while you pile your plate high with delicious, healthy, compliant foods!

Hello all. I am on day 14 of the whole 30 and I have the same exact problem. The first 10 days were great, and then starting about day 11 I started feeling REALLY fatigue, sleeping terribly, and even worse, my 4 month old has only been sleeping 3 hour stretches at night rather than her usual 7 hours... So I'm guessing she's not getting enough milk (I exclusively breast feed). I am traveling a 5 hour flight tomorrow, just me and my infant, and really need to regain my energy before then! I really do not want to quit the diet now though :( I eat similarly to what Esuggs mentioned so I will take the advice and try to add a fourth meal. However, I was mentioning my dilemma to my midwife and nutritionist friend and she advised adding some complex carbs to my diet immediately. Given my situation and the fact that i'm traveling alone with the baby tomorrow, I cannot continue feeling this way so I will take her advice and add a little brown rice and barely to my diet. She said this should help tremendously. I really want to stick to the rules tell the end but no sleep for me and my baby and exhaustion is not worth it... But I feel ok about only adding a little bit of complex carbs, I think I will still get most, if not all, of the benefits of the challenge. 

Esuggs, if adding a fourth meal doesn't fix the problem, try adding a little brown rice and/or barely and let me know what works for you and I'll do the same!

Good luck!!

However, I was mentioning my dilemma to my midwife and nutritionist friend and she advised adding some complex carbs to my diet immediately. 

Rasha- Please do whatever feels right to you, but know that there is no magic in brown rice or barley that you can not find in sweet potatoes or pumpkin or butternut squash. Barley is a gluten grain, so rice would be the lesser of these evils (I would go for white rice, for digestibility). Good luck whatever you decide!

However, I was mentioning my dilemma to my midwife and nutritionist friend and she advised adding some complex carbs to my diet immediately.

Rasha, that makes sense. And like Miss Mary mentioned above, complex carbs are not just grains. When we say complex carbs everybody immediately thinks about grains, but there are plenty of carbs in sweet potatoes and regular potatoes (allowed on a Whole 30 as of now!). I am a runner and I have trained for marathons while breastfeeding eating that type of complex carbs. I usually have them with at least 2 of my meals every day since that keeps my energy up, but without irritating my gut and immunesystem the way grains do.

Archived