Applegate Farms Sunday Bacon

April Greer-Boyd

I've been eating paleo/primal at a rate of about 80/20 for the last 2 years. Monday I plan on doing my first Whole 30. I've been eating this bacon pretty regularly.

I plan to limit my bacon during my W30 to just the weekends unless a recipe calls for some just as a complimentary ingredient. I've never had the US Wellness bacon and wanted to order it but it's been out of stock. Does the "less than 2% evaporated cane syrup" make it off limits?

I don't know - this is where I am confused. I have been eating Applegate Sunday bacon. While there may be some sugar in the brining process, it amounts to 0g of sugars and 0g of carbs on the label. That means it really is a negligible amount, right? Almost nothing. When you weigh that against the fact that other non-sugar brands of bacon (like the fore-mentioned one from Costco) do not come from pastured or organic sources, it seems like the overall best bet is to go with the Applegate. Right? Can a moderator weigh in on this? Maybe the answer will be that bacon is not acceptable on the Whole 30, in which case I'll have to start over :(, but it seems like the organic (and according to my allergy research non-grain fed) brand is the best all around choice.

jotartare, I was having that same internal conflict with the no sugar bacon I got at BJs. While I respect BJ's as a company, I don't necessarily trust their farming practices. It was my understanding that all of the bad stuff in animals that eat grains is in their fat making bacon pretty potent. I would think the sugar would be the lesser of the two evils.

I think US Wellness is out because they were running a special the other day.

I abstained from bacon during my Whole 30 because I could not find an uncured, no-sugar, no-other crap bacon. Today is my last day and I'm really looking forward to having my favorite bacon on Sunday. Coleman's uncured bacon!

I went on Applegate farms facebook page and requested a bacon with no sugar. Get over there and make yourselves heard!

Per the Bacon Manifesto: "If you're on the Whole30, your bacon must be sugar-free. This means no added sugar in any form in the ingredient list – no honey, cane syrup or xylitol, even if sugar is listed as “0 grams†on the label."

and ...

"We cannot recommend consumption – even in “moderation†– of bacon from the factory farming system. If you want to enjoy bacon as part of your healthy, varied Paleo diet, you must take the time to seek out a pastured, organic source."

http://whole9life.com/2012/03/bacon/

You know, I'm disappointed to say that I will have to re-set my date and start again tomorrow. But I see the point that's being made here, and I will play by the rules.

That said, my health is just ONE of the reasons I am doing this lifestyle. It is by no means the only reason, nor is it really the most important in the grand scheme of things. I agree with Laura B that sugar is BY FAR the lesser of evils that is under consideration when it comes to eating meat, especially if we are considering eating meat from Costco or BJs instead. But, again, a rule is a rule, and if I'm signing up for a program, it behooves me to play by the book.

Onward!

I don't know - this is where I am confused. I have been eating Applegate Sunday bacon. While there may be some sugar in the brining process, it amounts to 0g of sugars and 0g of carbs on the label. That means it really is a negligible amount, right? Almost nothing. When you weigh that against the fact that other non-sugar brands of bacon (like the fore-mentioned one from Costco) do not come from pastured or organic sources, it seems like the overall best bet is to go with the Applegate. Right? Can a moderator weigh in on this? Maybe the answer will be that bacon is not acceptable on the Whole 30, in which case I'll have to start over , but it seems like the organic (and according to my allergy research non-grain fed) brand is the best all around choice.

The Whole30 guidelines are very clear on this. If it has sugar or any of the bad stuff anywhere in the ingredients, it is out.

Labeling requirements are kinda ridiculous and companies play with serving sizes so that they can claim 0g of things. Is it a terrible choice after your Whole30? Probably not, but strict W30? No go

April,

If you can get to a farmers market, you might be able to find sugar free bacon. A couple of our local farmers markets have pasture raised, sugar free, nitrite free, nitrate free bacon. It's about $8/lb, which is a bit pricey if you eat it every day but it's worth it for a Sunday morning treat. Remember to save the bacon grease to use during the week, too!

• 5 months later...

What if the only sugar ingredient is fruit juice concentrate?! I have seen bacon and sausage with all compliant ingredients and 0g of sugar on the label, but the lasf ingredient listed is fruit juice concentrate with pineapple, apple, or peach in parentheses! Since fruit juice in very small amounts is discussed and allowed during the W30 process... Only to be added in cooking recipes for instance.... Is this acceptable in the bacon and sausage?

April! I am also in Tampa and couldn't agree more. I came here from VT, where Farmers' Markets and farmers were a dime a dozen! I haven't found bacon, but I get a bi-weekly delivery from Organic Chef Foods out of Ocala. He has drop off locations every other week. He's not cheap but he's DELICIOUS and committed to his cause. And a downright nice guy. Organiccheffoods.com.

He has more than is on his website-just ask for what you want and if he has it, it's yours.

• 2 weeks later...

It really is up to you. Sugar is not damaging to the gut for most people but any amount is out during your W30 to give you the best chance of getting the most out of it. If you want to carry on and just not eat any more until after your W30 that is your perogative. I started over a few W30s ago because of sneaky sugar but I have a big mean sugar dragon that I needed to starve for the full 30 days.

I find this whole topic a bit odd. I was just reading "The Peanut Manifesto" and came across this line recommending Sunbutter as a peanut butter alternative:

"Sunbutter is made from specially roasted sunflower seeds, and is peanut, tree-nut and gluten free. And unlike other nut butters, it actuallytastes like PB. Some variations (like the “Creamy†version) contain a small amount of sugar in the form of cane juice. We're okay with that, but for you purists, the “Organic†version is free of added salts and sugars."

So, the small amount of added sugar in Sunbutter is ok, but the small amount of added sugar in Applegate Farms organic bacon isn't? Lara Bars aren't off limits for the sugar addicted (for me, those might as well be crack in a wrapper), but high-quality, well-sourced organic bacon is?

Don't get me wrong, I love this program and will follow it to a T, but I like my "rules" to make sense and be consistent, and this one aspect of it kind of bugs me.

I have not read the peanut manifesto and you are totally right...very confusing.

I do have to say that Dallas and Melissa founded this whole program and I think they still tweak it. I don't know when the peanut manifesto was written but maybe it's out of date or a new decision.

There is not a lot of nutritional value to bacon. It's mostly fat and in the bacon manifesto, it suggests using it as a condiment rather than a protein source. Not that what I just said has anything to do with your point, but it's where my head went.

You make a valid point.

My un-expert opinion is that for people who don't have a severe sugar dragon they are trying to kill, that avoiding something with a trace amount of sugar is just splitting hairs. There is a point where the elimination of certain things is rather arbitrary (alcohol-based vanilla, as another example). Yes, it's technically against the rules. But is it really going to hurt you? I think you need to figure that out for yourself, with the guidelines and your own context in mind.

Yeah, the peanut manifesto is out of date; M&D have changed the W30 rules over the years. Nowadays, ANY sugar as an ingredient is out, which would mean that the sunbutter's out today.

That doesn't mean that these things are bad choices POST W30 though; just that they're out right now!

Archived