Applegate Farms Sunday Bacon

April Greer-Boyd

If you believe ISWF is correct (I do, having read a lot of the research), sugar makes you less healthy. The fructose half of sugar is metabolized in the liver in a way that's very similar to alcohol with toxins and globs of fats as byproducts (yuk!)that are stored in your liver or released into your bloodstream .

I agree with Tray that there's a 'how clean is clean enough?' question here. I threw out many $ of otherwise compliant food with trace amounts of soy when I started my W30. I struggled with whether I should continue my daily dose of Kombucha due to the trace amount of alcohol, but judged (for me) the pro-health benefits are hard to get from a substitute.

I love bacon because it's SWEET (and smoky). For me it's a crystal clear example of an emotional choice. So I've decided I won't bend the rules for something that's both emotionally significant and easily substituted with a more healthy alternative.

Yeah, the peanut manifesto is out of date; M&D have changed the W30 rules over the years. Nowadays, ANY sugar as an ingredient is out, which would mean that the sunbutter's out today.

That doesn't mean that these things are bad choices POST W30 though; just that they're out right now!

Just a note: not everything on the 9Blog is Whole30 standard. If it is, we're pretty good about telling you, but much of the content also deals with life outside of the Whole30 parameters. Again, we don't expect this to be your every day forever :) Like Renee said, outside of a Whole30, the trivial amounts of sugar in Sunbutter or quality bacon don't concern us (if they're eaten appropriately).

• 1 year later...

Liz Wolfe is great, and you are free to follow her advice, but she isn't an authority on the whole30. Unlike Paleo, the whole30 has a specific set of rules. One of those rules is "no sugar as an ingredient" full stop. no interpretation needed, no gray area.

I occasionally have some high quality bacon with sugar post-whole30, but during the program it is really not that much of a hardship to skip it.

April--Pure country pork will ship their nitrate and sugar free bacon, but you have to buy a case of 12 packages at $8 each. Plus, they recommend having it ice packed, bringing the weight up to possibly 15 pounds. They also recommend using 2-3 day shipping, which is more than standard, I am guessing expensive. I was not given a shipping cost in response to my email inquiry. If you are still interested, this is their website:

http://www.purecountryporkmarkets.com/

I decided I can hold off on bacon for another 16 days. My current meat treat is Applegate uncured beef hot dogs. However, on day 31, there will be bacon!!!

The butcher at Whole Foods told me that bacon without sugar is not bacon, it's called fatback.  Bacon by definition is cured with salt and sugar per the butcher. lol

I was asking him about cutting the pork belly for me so I could make my own bacon without using sugar.  That's when he said, if it's only cured with salt, it's called fatback.

I eat Hempler's. It is uncured and has ZERO sugar and is some of the best bacon I have ever eaten. You can buy it at Vons, Safeway or other markets! www.hemplers.com is their website if you would like to read more about them.

Sorry, it looks like that product is not Whole30 compliant, as per the website, the uncured bacon contains honey. 

The butcher was wrong. Way wrong,. Uncurred bacon is actually cured, just not with chemicals. Bacon, by definition usually comes from the shoulder or belly...so fatback is a different cut. Uncurred bacon is still preserved, it is just typically preserved through smoking and salt....not chemicals and other additives. Either kind can use sugar.  Also cured bacon is soaked in a brine most of the time and that is where the sugar usually comes in. Uncured bacon is accomplished through natural agents...not nitirates or nitrites (which mimic salt curring only faster. Also be careful of lactic acid curing which involves dairy products. Uncurred will have a higher salt content, so look at that if you are watching your salt intake.

OMG it does NOT have that listed in the ingredients and records NO sugars in its nutritional information in the bar code. I am GOBSTOPPED but it does say that on that website! I am sorry for suggesting it! AND very disappointed that I have been eating it!

OMG it does NOT have that listed in the ingredients and records NO sugars in its nutritional information in the bar code. I am GOBSTOPPED but it does say that on that website! I am sorry for suggesting it! AND very disappointed that I have been eating it!

In your package, if there is no honey in the ingredients list, or other sugars/sweeteners listed, then you're fine. 

I would carefully read the label every time you buy in the future, to see if they've changed the ingredients.  Sometime manufacturers have different ingredients in different regions of the country.

So, hypothetically IF the bacon is labelled as "trvial amount of ... (think it said sugar) OR " organic evaporated cane syrup" then if that was eaten, the participant must declare failure and restart from day 1?

Actually a little sugar accidently is not cause for a restart. I believe if you choose to eat it (like adding it to your coffee) then it might. I think you can make the choice that works for you, if you ate a little bacon then just put it away for the rest of your whole30 and keep going. Here is the bacon manifesto for the whole30's take on bacon. Good Luck! http://whole30.com/2012/03/bacon/.

The Hempler's response was great. But for some reason I cannot past or link things. But they confirmed there is trace honey but as a result of my email they will now list it in the nutritional panel as well.

The Hempler's response was great. But for some reason I cannot past or link things. But they confirmed there is trace honey but as a result of my email they will now list it in the nutritional panel as well.

Great that you influenced changes for future consumers!

So sadly, the fact that honey is included does make this product not compliant on a Whole30.

• 1 month later...

I've been using prosciutto when I feel the need for a bacon type flavor.  Mine lists the ingredients as pork, salt.  Read your labels, some brands have some form of sugar.  Diced into green beans with caramelized onions, it's a bit.

Try Pederson Natural Farms bacon - sugar free, nitrtite free, hormone/antibiotic free, not fed animal by products, etc.

I found it at either trader joes or whole foods (can't remember since I went to both in the same day)

Archived