I did it!

tilley1003

I have been struggling to lose weight since I had my son....almost 17 years ago! I once reached 200 pounds and was able to slowly lose some weight, but I found that I was always fluctuating between 160-170 pounds and just didn't feel great overall. I've tried all the crazy and not-so crazy diets out there to help me to a speedy weight loss: cabbage soup diet, fasting, juicing, plus many more mainstream diets with the famous star promoting how they "lost weight, look great, and now you can too!"  Obviously none of them helped me to keep off the weight or made me "look great".

After discovering the Whole30, I was quite skeptical of everything the program claimed. Nothing worked before, so why would anything else work? I was told this new program was an extreme version of the popular Paleo diet: Holy wow, really? I found the Paleo diet difficult enough, could I do the Whole30? There are so many restrictions! How in the world could it be done, especially by me?!?!

After the many failed attempts at weight loss, I decided I would try the Whole30 program since it was quite different than many of the other diets I've tried in the past. I thought it would be best to ease myself into it so I didn't completely shock my system and set myself up for failure. I started eating more Paleo styled meals omitting grains and legumes. Then I started removing dairy (cheese was a hard one!) from my diet and really amped up my veggie intake. Finally I was ready to start my Whole30.

The biggest challenge for me was the sugar. That sugar monster had control of my life since I was walking around at the ripe age of 1 asking for Pepsi in my bottle - Mom, what were you thinking?!?! I used sugar for everything including coffee, tea, and fruit. I LOVED chocolate especially in the little cupcake form. I rarely passed up dessert. It was tough, however, I noticed something amazing happening to me during my second week of doing the Whole30: I no longer craved sugar. Not only was I not craving sugar, but the thought of it made my nose wrinkle!

After completing the Whole30, I found I had so much more energy, I felt more alert, and my headaches/backaches/neck aches were not nearly as bad (which I learned that I have a sensitivity to gluten). This really works and has opened my eyes to a new LIFESTYLE. I ended up losing a total of 7 pounds and 9 inches all over. My husband can't believe how great I look!

I still have work to do in order to obtain my goal, but this has definitely given me a step in that direction. Thank you so much for coming up with this awesome program!!

post-47687-0-40642500-1404232685_thumb.p

Guest Andria

Oooh, I wish we could see more of your face in the second photo! It looks as if the dark circles (seen in your first photo) are gone and your skin tone seems improved! Congratulations on all the successes you achieved!

Thanks Allly! I agree that the most important thing I got out of this is learning to have a better relationship with food. So important!!

Andria - You're right that my skin is better, but I never even noticed the eyes before. I think you nailed it! Thank you :)

Haha, thanks MeadowLily! I wasn't going to post it, but every time I look at the before and after I can't help but be proud of myself. Thanks for the extra boost of confidence :D

Your pictures do look great {abs - yay!} ;) but honestly just reading your story almost brought tears to my eyes because it is the struggle that SO many women are going through.  And it is complicated, I know... yet it is also so, so simple:  Stop eating the packaged, processed crap and start eating REAL food.

Hearing that your life-long sugar dependence was gone in the second week should be such a huge motivation for others out there struggling.  Thank you for sharing and truly:  Congratulations.  Well done!

^_^LOL, you're so good for my ego, MeadowLily :D Thank you!

Brewer5 - Thank you for your kind words! It's amazing how addictive sugar can be as well as all the packaged and processed crap we put into our bodies. It is about REAL food! Thank you so much :) :)

Your pictures do look great {abs - yay!} ;) but honestly just reading your story almost brought tears to my eyes because it is the struggle that SO many women are going through. And it is complicated, I know... yet it is also so, so simple: Stop eating the packaged, processed crap and start eating REAL food.

Hearing that your life-long sugar dependence was gone in the second week should be such a huge motivation for others out there struggling. Thank you for sharing and truly: Congratulations. Well done!

This. 1000x this! Great story, awesome picture, and helpful motivation. Congrats!

Archived