Too Much Tuna?

Hi,

I eat whole30 tuna salad (with romaine lettuce) almost everyday for lunch - is this too much tuna? Should I be worried about mercury poisoning? Maybe I can start using a different canned fish?

Please note: I am a worrywart :0)

Thank you,

Missy

• Moderators

You can eat tuna every day if you like if you are getting plenty of selenium. And since fish often has high levels of selenium, you are probably fine without any extra effort. Personally, I eat 2 brazil nuts per day as a selenium supplement. Note, not a handful of brazil nuts, just two individual nuts. I eat salmon or tuna almost every day.

Here is a long article that explains why this is safe, contrary to lots you hear about the danger of mercury. Even if you don't read the whole thing, the bullet points at the top give you what you need to know.

http://chriskresser.com/is-eating-fish-safe-a-lot-safer-than-not-eating-fish

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pregnant and have been trying to keep my tuna intake down to 2 cans/week. I heard that the brand of tuna will drastically alter the mercury content. Starkist, Chunk Light, and the other "common" cheaper brands have higher levels than the pricier brands like Wild Planet. Somewhere I saw a study on this, I need to dig it up.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Have you tried sardines?  I find that if I buy a good brand (like Wild Planet vs Trader Joe's) that they are much less fishy and really don't taste all that much different than tuna.  Plus all the bones are a great source of calcium!

I often have a big salad with 1 tin of sardines, 1-2 HB eggs with some roasted sweet potato for lunch with a homemade balsamic vinaigrette.  I love it - more than if I made tuna :)  

Archived