Dressings

When I'm in the mood for a creamy dressing, I take a couple tablespoons of homemade mayo, mix in a splash of apple cider vinegar, compliant dijon mustard, garlic power, chili powder, salt and pepper, and that makes quite the yummy dressy.

The homemade compliant mayo has been a life saver.  Additionally I recommend getting the "Wellfed" cookbooks and/or Nom Nom Paleo...they have some great suggestions.  The Well fed cookbook contains a sauce called sunshine sauce that is AMAZING for veggie dipping!

You all are fantastic!  I LOVE homemade mayo- I guess I just need to experiment a little with it :)  I am on the waiting list to borrow the Well Fed cookbooks from the library, can't wait to check them out!

Keep an eye on amazon.com, both kindle books were available for under $3 a few days ago. If you don't have a kindle or iPad you can still read the books on your computer. I got well fed for .99 cents in Dec 2013. Good luck!

• Moderators

You all are fantastic!  I LOVE homemade mayo- I guess I just need to experiment a little with it :)  I am on the waiting list to borrow the Well Fed cookbooks from the library, can't wait to check them out!

While you wait for Well Fed and Well Fed 2, check out Melissa Joulwan's site, there are many recipes (including mayo) on there:

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/category/recipes/

I got some ranch seasoning at Penzeys spices today, It has no bad ingredients. It says to mix with cream and mayo but I am going to use coconut milk and paleo mayo- cant wait to try it.  I also bought a BBQ and a Chili seasoning no sugar in either one.

• 2 weeks later...

I am really struggling with the homemade mayo!!! It tastes super olive "oil-y"!! so i then tried the ranch recipe in the ISWF book and that didn"t help either. Any suggestions? thank you

Did you use light or extra light olive oil? Either of those options is what you want. You don't want extra virgin olive oil: makes the mayo taste too bitter.

Thank you!! I read the recipe and thought i did, but now....is there anyway to counter that?? or another way i can use it?  i will try it again after i go to the market and get the "right" olive oil!

This is way tougher than i thought it would be. So very grateful for all the forums

• Moderators

I've been making all kinda of wonderful vinaigrettes this summer. Basically, blend/Shake one part acid (vinegar and or citrus) to 2-3 parts oil depending on taste, add a dab of compliant mustard of choice for binding, and include seasoning of choice. Fresh or dried herbs, some grated fresh garlic, chopped shallot or green onion are all good. Fresh turmeric or ginger is lovely. The possibilities are endless, it's so freaking easy, and infinitely tastier than anything you could buy in a store. Add a little hm mayo if you want it creamy.

Ranch isn't really popular over here like it is in States, so I'd never had it before I got the Tessamaes. But I've since made the Well Fed one and it was mayo based (and delicious) but the Tessemaes was more like a very thick herby vinagerette.

• Moderators

Nomnom is far superior to the WF IMHO:

1/2 c mayo

1/3 c coconut milk

1 T each lemon juice, chives, parsley

1 t each onion powder, fresh dill, kosher salt

1/2 garlic clove grated

Serious alchemy happens here. And I'm not even a ranch lover.

Archived