Dressings

I tried to make homemade mayo today but it wouldn't emulsify it just stayed runny any tips?

If you miss your creamy dressings life ranch, Caesar, etc homemade mayo is a must and SO easy. 

For about a cup of it all you need is one egg, half a medium size lemon, light tasting olive oil (not virgin) dry mustard and salt. 

A very important step is to make sure you use an egg that's been bright to room temperature!!

First blend together the egg and juice from lemon, blend for at least 2 or 3 minutes.

Then add 1/4 cup of olive oil 1/2 tsp dry mustard and about a 1/2 tsp salt and blend again. 

Lastly get a whole cup of oil and steam it into your blender while it's running in a very small steam until it's all used up, should take like 3 minutes, that's how slow you should go.

Voila!

You can turn this into a yummy ranch dressing by adding some fresh parsley, garlic, paprika and chives with a splash of water for a thinner consistency if needed. 

So good!!!!

The Eggman Cometh, a paleo play in three acts.

Let me know what you think!

The Egg,man Cometh, a paleo play in three acts

By Uneed A'Meal

ka-boom-cha :D

Am going to try the Ranch tomorrow, mayo is made.

My favorite thing to do is use a W30 complaint spice blend from Penzeys Spices and Olive oil.

So super easy. 

Here are some of my faves:

Greek: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysgreekseas.html

Italian: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysitalianherb.html

They have TONS of others too. And they also have recipes for dressings but a couple of sprinkles of spice and a dash of Olive Oil is way easier. 

• 1 month later...

I tried to make homemade mayo today but it wouldn't emulsify it just stayed runny any tips?

I have found that if I use a whole egg it doesn't thicken, but if I use just the yolk it does. Also, the immersion blender is a must - never had success in my regular blender (I have a BlendTec). Also, I put my oil in one of those picnic ketchup bottles and litterally do just a couple of drops at a time until it starts to thicken, then start adding it more quickly. I don't actually measure the oil this way, I just keep adding oil until it gets to the consistency I want. :D

Mayo making tip. When using the emmersion blender, I put the egg, lemon juice, mustard(ALL ROOM TEMP.!) in a tall, narrow container(empty pickle jar works great also) pour my Sunflowe oil in, it just stays right on the surface, put the blender in, all the way on the bottom & when I turn it on, it just slowly mixes the oil in! Fool proof every time. EVERYTHING has to be room temp. or it just doesn't work. :-(

Hope all these tips have helped!!

Archived