Need Advice-Significant Other Not Very Supportive

Sara Hallgren

Help Please!

I am currently on day 2 of my AI-Whole30. My boyfriend, whom I live with, is not doing the Whole30. On the evening of my first day I told him that I will need his support and need him not to bring junk food around me so I can maintain focus. He goes off ranting how I'm "setting myself up for failure" by starting "cold turkey" and that I didn't ease into it. I told him the book says to start the Whole30 that way (after you prepared you kitchen and read the book). Needless to say he didn't listen. I was hoping on some advice on how to go about it with out getting angry (which could lead to stress eating)! Or has anyone else had trouble with this??

Thanks in advance!

-Sara

I am so sorry he reacted this way. I have noticed that people are very passionate about their food. They will fight to the death to keep drinking their beer, diet soda etc. perhaps he feels that your "diet" will affect him. The best thing you can do is what is best for you. It will be hard if he brings junk food around you but you can resist it. Hopefully you can cook him some amazing whole30 meals so he won't want junk food. Once you start feeling amazing he will come around. There is a post about doing a whole30 alone. It may have some tips that will help you. Good Luck!

Guest Andria

I am sorry you don't have more support from your boyfriend right now. He may come around with time.  I live with my boyfriend who usually has junk food in the house and definitely does not follow the Whole30 (except for dinners and weekend breakfasts that I cook).  Most of the stuff, though, I could care less about (soda, Doritos, pretzels, crappy bread, beer) except for when he buys ice cream.  I don't really feel I can tell him not to bring the stuff in the house.  So I just remain focused and ignore the things that I find tempting. I know that sounds easier said then done.  I would really have a problem if he liked what I like and brought good quality cookies and chocolate in the house! 

I think the best advise is to NEVER let yourself get hungry and prepare plenty of food ahead of time so you can grab something from the fridge at a moments notice.  Soon you will lose interest in the junk food he brings into the house.

I also am doing the whole 30 and my live in boyfriend is not doing it with me. The first couple of days he joked about getting me Ben and Jerry's which I didn't find funny at all. I also had a friend knock it a little too. After a week when everyone saw how I was sticking to it and feeling better they're all a little more understanding and accepting about it. Stick with it even when you get to day 3 and 4 when you're in "kill all things" mode. It gets better and easier! I'm just finishing up day 9!

You can do it! My husband did not do my W30 with me (neither did my 17 year old daughter). But I only cooked one supper at night and believe me, they NEVER complained about the meal. I tried to cook some different foods (like nomnom paleo Korean ribs.....YUM!!!) and maybe I would make some rice for them to have with it. The food is delicious. I didn't try to make them eat that way for their breakfast or lunch. We all increased our veggie intake during this process.

Andria is right, have lots if food prepared so that you have something on hand right away if temptation hits. I would have veggies already chopped, washed, and stored in containers in my fridge so they would be ready to be cooked at a moments notice....less drudgery at the thought of having to cook. And you will have lots of leftovers from all the cooking you will be doing. Preparation is KEY!!!

Also, when he realizes that it won't affect him negatively, he will probably back off. How he eats is his choice. This is yours.

You don't need to explain to him. Just eat what you're going to eat. No explanation. If you read the whole book and bought into the science it should be not too hard to avoid any non compliant foods he's brought into the house. You'll be eating well enough that you will hardly be hungry making it easy to pass by his stuff.

You know, his reaction made me mad. There's a difference between not being supportive and being actively hostile to something that is important to you. He doesn't have to agree with you, he doesn't have to support you, even, but he shouldn't undermine you.

Hey there - I've been in this boat as well.  My Bf called me crazy, and called it an impossible diet - well I proved him wrong.

Now the biggest part you have to get is that this is your choice to do this - not his.  As soon as you accept this, it will be better.  Don't ban anything from the house - you can designate a cupboard for his stuff, or whatever, but don't ban anything.  You'll set yourself up for some personal problems.

I never out right banned anything from the house - there was still cheese, and bread, and pasta.  Since he does most of the cooking, (he's home before me) we discussed meals ahead of time.  If he felt like adding rice or pasta to his dish he would.  I would come up and prepare the alternative for me - usually it was spaghetti squash - I never did get around to liking cauli rice.

After my bf saw all the health benefits that I was getting he kind of accepted it.  He is also begining to understand that everything in moderation does not work for me.

I would guess that he feels that his food choices will be judged, or is now judging himself. 

I find a lot of people make a fuss when I choose to change what I eat. And I think its because they start judging themselves. 

So even though he's being kind of a dick, we can assume that its coming from fear that his drugs of choice are bad or will get taken away, and try to have compassion for him. 

But its hard totally. Hang in there! 

Archived