Nuts about nuts!!

Hi there, I've been eating primal for a few months now, with a noticeable difference at the beginning and now plateauing out. I'm not great at moderation with nuts....just a few more...has anyone got any tips on limiting, eliminating or how they manage the numbers of nuts you eat??

Thanks in advance

Di

I don't keep nut butters in the house. I get individual serving size bags of almonds from TJ's. Unsalted raw sunflower seeds can be roasted then ground up for sunshine sauce in my Vitamix but don't tempt me for a snack. For other nuts I buy a few ounces at a time from the bulk dept at whole foods so I can only binge on a little if I go crazy one day. That's how I try to control it. I also buy dried fruit from bulk dept because they can be a trigger to binge. I really don't need a lb of mission figs sitting around calling my name.

Good luck!

Dividing them up into small baggy's might be worth a shot. You could wrap each nut in tinfoil....by the time you had unwrapped 10, you'd be so fed up getting the tinfoil off you wouldnt want any more :D

I have a big bag of hazelnuts and macadamia nuts in my desk drawer....knowing how expensive they are makes me ration them fairly well.

Thanks for your kind suggestions, I did have a chuckle at the tin foil one!! I buy my nuts in bulk, activate them all at once and dry out, this process takes 2-3 days so I do a lot at a time to save me time. I think I'll first try and have none for a week, as it seems I'm much worse when I start having some earlier in the day, then I will go the prepackaged days worth!!

Yes they are awfully expensive but if you're getting good ones it's worth it. Especially if you activate them, if you're not doing this the taste difference is amazing and easier to digest all the goodness out of them.

I wonder if you buy them whole with shells on whether they need activating? Must ask that question.

Also glad to hear I'm not the only person crazy on nuts!

It's seems to me the one last bad habit to ditch!!

Thanks again!

I added nuts and nut butters to my list of foods not to eat on the whole30. I had a hunch that they might be a "go to" food for me. I missed them for 3 days and after that I haven't really noticed they have been gone. And even though it is not a nut butter. I do still miss peanut butter, not gonna lie!

I also banned nut butters from my W30 because I had such a broken relationship with peanut butter going into it. I haven't had any nut butters, but I did get some coconut butter during my W30 and it is dangerous. I save it for strictly pre-workout so at least I feel like I'm getting a use out of it. I also got some sunbutter (probably shouldn't have). They haven't really been an issue only because I am working on repairing that relationship.

I try to limit my nut intake, I just feel like they are inherently "bad". They are so delicious and your are only supposed to have a few so they feel very forbidden to me. All very good suggestions above! My useful tip is to pawn them off onto others!! That's what I do when I feel like I shouldn't eat something, I tell the boyfriend to eat it. :ph34r:

Nut butters are dangerous to have around. I bought some (very expensive) lightly roasted cashew butter from Artisana. Oh my. It is heavenly. After it is gone, I won't buy it again. Nut butters are too easy to overeat, and this one is ridiculously expensive, even on iherb.

The only roasted nuts I eat are Mauna Loa macadamia nuts I get from amazon subscribe and save. Their high price keep me from overeating them!

The only roasted nuts I eat are Mauna Loa macadamia nuts I get from amazon subscribe and save. Their high price keep me from overeating them!

I'm the same with macadmias, I only allow myself 6 at a time cos they cost so much!

I have issues with nuts and nut butters...I also have issues with binge eating at night. Personally, I started the W30 to reset my body but mostly to regain a healthy relationship with food. If I don't have the self control, I don't buy it. I tried telling myself at the store that I can handle and I bought it once thinking I would do well with small doses and convinced myself I had self control. But it was gone all too soon and I consumed way too much! My advice...cut it out for a while. Just because it's W30 approved doesn't mean it's ok to have in excess...why tempt yourself??? The purpose of W30 is to gain a healthy relationship with food...food is fuel period :)

Well I've done it!! 30 days, dairys gone and I'm in control of the nuts and in the last week I've been tracking on fit day, which has helped me in seeing what I am eating and getting my target protein and carbs! Wow the fat has slipped off especially in the last week.i don't weigh so who knows how I weigh,but I can tell by looking. And I've lost about 2cm all over. But it didn't drop until I got the nuts under control. So I'll be continuing on my primal/paleo journey forever, keeping nuts and paleo treats to a minimum. I don't really have much weight to lose but would be keen to drop some more body fat! I'm about to turn 43 so will continue to track on fit day until then, and maybe for longer. Interesting my heart rate has dropped to a ridiculous 30 bpm, and is jumping all over the place so hoping its only my electrolytes and nothing wrong with my heart! Had an ECG so will see what that says. Maybe it's no dairy?? Or too much bacon!! Has anyone experienced this on paleo?

• 7 months later...

I have been eating mixed nuts as a pre workout food, to get fat and protein, and also grab a handful here and there throughout the day as a snack. Reading this thread tells me I shouldn't be doing that? I'm only on day 3. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

You would be better served with having a hard boiled egg pre workout rather than the nuts, and lean chicken or fish with some sweet potato post workout. I would cut out the nuts as snacks too, bump up your meals so you are not having to turn to snacks to get you thru the day.

I agree with Spin. Nuts are a bit dangerous because it is very easy to eat too many of them.

Remember that nuts are in the fat section of the template, not the protein section. There is more to them that just fat, but for this plan, they are your thumb part of your meals and best if only eaten in meals.

Do try to add food to your meals so that you don't need snacks. If you do need a snack, try to have a little of protein, fat, and veg. If you can't get that, try some olives instead of nuts. I felt as though they helped me kick cravings in my first week.

I have a bit of a problem with nuts myself - I gave myself selenium poisoning over Easter! I asked my mum for a bag of nuts as an Easter treat instead of chocolate. I also made friends and family cocoa dusted brazil nuts (vaguely egg shaped). Needless to say, I snacked on those brazil nuts, as well as eating the ENTIRE 450g bag (about 1 lb) of nuts from my mum, which had a good percentage of brazil nuts. The next day, 40 or so brazil nuts later (and the rest) I was so so so sick. I must have missed the memo about being careful with brazil nuts because of all the selenium, but I've certainly learnt my lesson now! Don't think I'll ever look at nuts in the same way again lol!

Archived