Cause of sensitivity?

I am on Day 10 and am feeling some sensitivity to my lunch, an italian stir fry type of thing... mucous in throat, achy, bit of a headache. No apparent digestive issues as of 1 hour post. Do you think it could be any of these things? Or coincidence?

onions

red peppers

mushrooms

garlic - organic garlic, water, citric acid

sliced almonds

Aidell's chicken apple sausage - chicken, dried apples, salt, fruit juice concentrate, spices, celery powder

coconut milk - coconut, water, guar gum

Delallo Hot and Spicy Pepper pesto - red sweet peppers, red hot cherry peppers, sunflower oil, sun-dried tomatoes, salt, chili pepper, garlic, basil, wine vinegar, ascorbic acid

Argh, I didn't see the sunflower oil in there before... second time I had this pesto since starting Whole30. 

• Moderators

The sunflower oil is not ideal, but nothing to worry about.

The useful question is not what you ate, but what did you eat that is new or uncommon for you. Anything new is where you might focus your attention in figuring out if you have a sensitivity.

Forget to also add a pinch of fennel seeds and a sprinkle of an italian seasoning blend (no MSG) that includes: garlic, rosemary, black pepper, sea salt, tomato, sun dried tomato, red pepper, and salt. 

Nothing here that's new or uncommon at all. I feel like it was likely a reaction to the spiciness that was perhaps always masked by my previous dairy intake. For a long time I had recognized that I was full of phlegm after eating a cheesy meal. And I can't think of a time when I ate something spicy without dairy along with it. 

It may not just be the absence of dairy; 10 days in, your gut may be starting to heal, which, ironically, may make you more sensitive to foods you could tolerate before. Either way, your instinct might be right and the most likely culprit is the spicy pesto -- particularly since it contains quite a bit of night shades. You might want to try avoiding it for a while, then have it again and see if you get the same reaction.

Archived