Coffee

roseann0461

Are there opinions about decaf coffee? I am inching further and further away from caffeine but am clinging to the decaf out of habit. I know Whole30 is about changing habits. If I'm not drinking it for the caffeine, then I know there are healthier choices. (tea, water) BUT....I LOVE this habit!! :P I'm thinking it's a much higher priority to focus on changing my sugarcarby habits right now than my decaf coffee habits, but am open to feedback!

Many thanks!

from what I've been told and read, the process by which caffeine is removed artificially from the beans is quite chemical laden and therefore not particularly healthy

I was advised to stick to one or two cups of coffee a day but make sure I used real ground coffee in a cafetiere and avoided instant, and especially decaf!

I love coffee, it's been hard but I can see the reasons behind it and I've discovered a love for great real coffee... have my own mini cafetiere on my desk :-)

I quit coffee only l because I didn't want it if I couldn't have it with my beloved half & half. I'm now a tea drinker, and loving it! Contemplating adding coffee back with whole cream, but after surviving 30 days without caffeine, I'm not so sure I want to go back.

I've not heard of that before, sounds infinitely preferable to 'rinsing with solvent'! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decaffeination

I doubt the caffeine from the bottles of Kenco decaf (that I grew worryingly fond of) was extracted in such a manner ;)

I'm due to start the Whole30 in a few days and will be trying to eat/drink items that are as close to their natural state as possible. I drink 1-2 cups of coffee a day from ground coffee beans so I guess a) I probably don't have a problem with caffeine (like I used to!) and B) it's a pretty natural. I don't drink milk so quitting that won't be a problem :)

I had the impression that decaf coffee that's been decaffeinated through the water process was ok as far as chemicals are concerned.

This is true. I work at Trader Joe's and order the coffee and tea for my store. I received a memo about our decaf process being completely natural with no chemicals used. I believe we use the water process. This tastes so much better than national brands that use the chemicals (let alone much healthier). By the way, do shop at TJ's for decaf and fresh, whole foods. Don't shop there for the frozen ready-made meals! ;):)

I love my morning coffee. I used to drink it with half & half and agave, but now I skip the agave and instead of half & half I use homemade almond/coconut milk...I throw it in the blender to make it really frothy and then add it to my dark roasted coffee....what a treat!! Don't miss the agave or milk at all.

:)

thanks for the k-cup brand suggestion Michelle! I will try that out. I have been doing the bulletproof coffee (clarified butter/coconut oil and blended). i am now completed off artificial sweeteners and dairy. it looks and tastes like a latte. best part, is that i can sip on it all morning and not worry that the milk will spoil. i can just reheat, shake and enjoy!

while on the subject of coffee, are there any kuerig (k-cup) drinkers out there? any k-cup recommendations? my husband buys green mountain dark magic roast.

I love Keurig's Donut Shop Coffee blend. It is one of the only coffees I can drink without sugar or cream. It doesn't taste burnt. I am almost tempted to stop by my office on the weekends just to drink it, as I don't have a Keurig coffeemaker at home. I haven't found a coffee place that has coffee good enough to drink black. I will try that Green Mountain Dark Magic roast now that you mention it.

• 1 month later...

Coffee and coconut milk: What kind of coconut milk, should it say unsweetened on the can or.. I dunno exactly what I am looking for.. also I have read a few things where people are making iced lattes with coconut milk.. is there a recipe anyone can share? Thanks! I don't drink coffee much but I need something other than water at times. :)

Just make sure the coconut is not "lite" and only has guar gum (if anything) besides the coconut. Although, now that I say that, I do have a friend who specifically likes to order the "lite" (just make sure water is the only additive) because she says it doesn't leave an oily film on her coffee. You may have to experiment a bit. :)

I tried iced lattes with coconut milk and it was a failure. First, you can't stir the coconut milk into iced coffee. It lumps up like butter. I may have tried mxing it in with hot coffee first and then chilling it. All in all, I never loved it. Good luck with that one. :)

The can of coconut milk I do have has guar gum, water and coconut, says unsweetened on the can. Is that what I am looking for?

That's the stuff. If you shake it up, it will be milky. If you don't, the creamy stuff floats to the top and is very rich. Sometimes you have to put it in the fridge overnight to get the cream to float to the top. They are all a little different.

Archived