Coffee

roseann0461

I love TJ's Organic Ethiopian coffee made in my Senseo. I'm going to try a decaf from TJ's next time I go. A teaspoon of coconut oil in and the crema from the Senseo and I don't even miss cream in my coffee.

I'm so confused about the coconut oil and ghee thing that people keep talking about for coffee. Doesn't it just make an oily mess?

I'm so confused about the coconut oil and ghee thing that people keep talking about for coffee. Doesn't it just make an oily mess?

Yes and no. I've done ghee in my black coffee (shaken up in a mason jar, as I don't have an immersion blender and I don't want to get out my Hamilton Beach Smoothie Maker Deluxe Walmart Model for a single cup of coffee), and it gets a little oily once it cools, but the flavor is nice and you don't need chapstick for awhile.

The original recipe calls for gf butter, which I think would give more of an appropriate texture and flavor.

Justdoit -

Try adding your coconut milk at room temp to hot coffee. That, and some good stirring (or even shaking) should help the fat globules (how appetizing does THAT sound) disperse nicely :0)

Yes and no. I've done ghee in my black coffee (shaken up in a mason jar, as I don't have an immersion blender and I don't want to get out my Hamilton Beach Smoothie Maker Deluxe Walmart Model for a single cup of coffee), and it gets a little oily once it cools, but the flavor is nice and you don't need chapstick for awhile.

The original recipe calls for gf butter, which I think would give more of an appropriate texture and flavor.

Justdoit -

Try adding your coconut milk at room temp to hot coffee. That, and some good stirring (or even shaking) should help the fat globules (how appetizing does THAT sound) disperse nicely :0)

LOL..when you said "justdoit", I thought you were telling me to just try it and shut up. :P

I have found that lite coconut milk is just too watery to add much flavor or substance to black coffee. I was always a full cream and 2 spoons of Splenda girl, so I'm still not loving my coffee nearly as much. I will say that the homemade coconut creamer recipe in one of the most recent Whole 9 blog posts is great and has made a difference to me. Also, Starbucks vanilla coffee - with natural flavorings - is pretty good too.

Before W30 I used to have heavy cream in my coffee - to cool it, for consistency and to mellow the bitterness. During the 30 rather than try to find a substitute (coconut left an oil slick on its surface) I took it black. Admittedly, it's an adjustment but you get used to it. I have carried it on past Whole 30. You become even more fine tuned into what is good coffee for you since it can't hide under the cream any more.

"I will say that the homemade coconut creamer recipe in one of the most recent Whole 9 blog posts is great and has made a difference to me."

After I read this I looked up that recipe for coconut creamer. It looks good but it has raw egg in it! Is this safe? It makes me a little squeamish.

"I will say that the homemade coconut creamer recipe in one of the most recent Whole 9 blog posts is great and has made a difference to me."

After I read this I looked up that recipe for coconut creamer. It looks good but it has raw egg in it! Is this safe? It makes me a little squeamish.

I eat home made mayo with raw eggs all the time. I also buy very fresh eggs from pastured chickens, but probably would hesitate to eat raw if the eggs were from conventionally raised hens. Maybe someone else can chime in about that though. Also, if you are adding the "creamer" to hot coffee, it would cook the yolks.

Lyn1,

I guess it depends on how much you trust your eggs. Chances are, if you get your eggs from a local chicken farmer with cage free, pastured chickens living in a clean and healthy environment you'll be just fine with a raw egg. Salmonella can get into an egg from inside the chicken, or from the environment, but if both are kept clean and healthy, and the eggs are handled properly, your chances of getting sick are low (or so I've read).

Yeah, I can't always get pastured eggs. When I can't I get them from whole foods. I do eat homemade mayo, but as I understand it, the lemon juice (or vinegar) chemically "cooks" the egg and kills the bacteria. I guess putting it into hot coffee would be okay though....

My first experience with coconut milk in coffee made me extremely nauseous. Anyone else experience that? Tried almond milk this morning and it was much better...

Unfortunately, almond milk in a carton is probably not whole 30 approved. Look at the ingredients and you will see all kinds of things.

I love Keurig's Donut Shop Coffee blend. It is one of the only coffees I can drink without sugar or cream. It doesn't taste burnt. I am almost tempted to stop by my office on the weekends just to drink it, as I don't have a Keurig coffeemaker at home. I haven't found a coffee place that has coffee good enough to drink black. I will try that Green Mountain Dark Magic roast now that you mention it.

I am going to sell my Gevalia 12cup coffee maker on EBay. I drink one cup in the morning and that's it for the day. I was wasting so much coffee it was ridiculous. So I decided to sell it and buy a Keurig coffee maker. And also the Donut Shop coffee Blend. It is very good. Now I can have my one cup in the morning and not be so wasteful.

I am going to sell my Gevalia 12cup coffee maker on EBay. I drink one cup in the morning and that's it for the day. I was wasting so much coffee it was ridiculous. So I decided to sell it and buy a Keurig coffee maker. And also the Donut Shop coffee Blend. It is very good. Now I can have my one cup in the morning and not be so wasteful.

My son has all kinds of one-cup and multi-cup coffee contraptions. He has a cone, a cone shaped pot, a cylindrical press, the french press, a vacuum pot, etc., etc. But, he also buys out-of-this-world coffee. I normally just grind some 8 o'clock and borrow his cone for one cup. Drinking it black is still less thrilling than I would like my coffee to be. But today, my son made me a cup of his coffee and wow! I can do (and enjoy) that!!

But, it will be back to 8 o'clock tomorrow, so I think I am going to look up that coconut milk creamer recipe. <sigh>

Lester, I too have all kinds of different coffee contraptions. But during the week I do use my K cups. I do like the Cnut cream in my coffee after it solidifies from being in the fridge, however, I typically love the taste of fresh ground beans, French pressed to get all the oils from the beans, and then sprinkle a little bit of sea salt into the fresh grounds before adding the hot water to the French press. This takes away that extremely bitter taste ( which I like actually) and u have very smooth cup of strong coffee.

I also like the Cnut oil and ghee thing but I use my magic bullet to blend it really well. Pretty tasty. But I still prefer my coffee pure natural and naked ( the cup of coffee that is)

:-)

Cheers. ( clink clink of coffee mugs to all )

I have become a convert of bullet proof coffee. Now that I'm off my Whole 30, I use grassfed butter with it and it is outrageous. It's also really good with ghee. The secret is the blending, it whips it up to a perfect frothy emulsion so it doesn't taste oily at all.

I have become a convert of bullet proof coffee. Now that I'm off my Whole 30, I use grassfed butter with it and it is outrageous. It's also really good with ghee. The secret is the blending, it whips it up to a perfect frothy emulsion so it doesn't taste oily at all.

Andra, I have seen many versions of the bullet proof coffee. Do you simply do a spoonful of coconut oil and spoonfull of butter or ghee and whip it up? I've been drinking iced coffee with coconut milk (yes, the solidified bits bugged me, but I got over it) but am ready to switch back to hot coffee, so I want to try the bullet proof. I am not planning on spending the $$ on the single origin beans that the website sells...at least I don't think so. When you add the shipping costs, it just becomes too spendy for me.

I've bought the Upgraded Coffee Beans and they are good but I find ordering my coffee through the mail a real pain...I prefer sourcing a good organic coffee locally. I drink iced coffee year round so adding butter and coconut oil doesn't work for me but I have made my husband the bulletproof coffee and the blending is the key for sure...oh and UNSALTED butter!

I've bought the Upgraded Coffee Beans and they are good but I find ordering my coffee through the mail a real pain...I prefer sourcing a good organic coffee locally. I drink iced coffee year round so adding butter and coconut oil doesn't work for me but I have made my husband the bulletproof coffee and the blending is the key for sure...oh and UNSALTED butter!

Yes, I think I will draw the line at ordering coffee by mail. Just bugs me to think about. :) I did find a coffee store here in Portland that has single origin, fair trade coffee and I guess uses some crazy way of brewing that involves glass tubes. I'll have to check it out and buy a lb. I wonder if they'll scoff at me if I ask them to grind it for me? I hate using my coffee grinder to do a big bunch for my french press. I may stick with iced coffee all year. I love it.

I use my own coffee, whatever I have in. I've been using Trader Joe's pumpkin spice coffee and the finished drink is much like a Starbucks pumpkin spice latte.

I use my stovetop Bialetti espresso maker, SALTED grassfed butter and whip it on high in the VitaMix. I love the flavor that bit of salt gives!

I don't care for the flavor of coconut oil in my coffee and prefer eat my coconut oil off the spoon before a workout.

• 1 month later...

I've never been a regular coffee drinker; my thing was lattes ( "was" = I'm on day 13 of my Whole 30). I used a blend of almond and soy milk.

Has anyone found a decently good way to make a compliant latte? It would be awesome to not have to give up espresso down the road....

I love my morning coffee. I used to drink it with half & half and agave, but now I skip the agave and instead of half & half I use homemade almond/coconut milk...I throw it in the blender to make it really frothy and then add it to my dark roasted coffee....what a treat!! Don't miss the agave or milk at all.

:)

so this means i can have swiss water decaf and coc milk - i have been on decaf for years and not willing to give it up either!!!!

Archived