My Whole 30

runningforfood

I'm hoping that keeping the log here will help me stay more accountable of my activity over these 30 days. Some notes: I love sugar sugar and more sugar. I figured I wouldn't have as much trouble giving up some of the other things, except for sugar.

So I technically started on July 1st, but I sort of caved today and ate some crackers and some marshmallows.  :mellow: Oh well! I considered quitting, but in the end I decided to just tack on two more days and give this another go!

One concern/question I have is about snacking and general hunger throughout the day. I eat breakfast around 9 or 10, lunch around 12, and dinner at 5 but I get SO hungry between each meal! I eat until I am full during each meal, but clearly not enough? I don't know - but it is when I get hungry between meals that I want to eat all the things. 

Here is a log of July 1:

Breakfast -

2 Scrambled eggs (scrambled in coconut oil)

1 cup spinach 

1/2 cup mushrooms (both sauteed in coconut oil)

1/2 grapefruit

Lunch - 

9 jumbo shrimp

plate full of spinach, romaine, cucumbers

1/2 avocado

1 tbs olive oil

sprinkle of balsamic vinegar

Dinner -

Roast chicken leg, some breast

Mashed sweet potatoes

Sauteed carrots, broccoli, and mushrooms

Snack -

1 Peach, 2 strawberries, 1 clementine

I'm hoping to make it through these 30 days! I'm positive that it will all be worth it!

• Moderators

You are eating maybe half of the amount you should be eating at meals. Okay, maybe 2/3, but you are way short of eating enough. Study the meal planning template - http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf - and never eat less than the minimum. And here is a clue... we think of filling your plate with veggies as roughly three cups of cooked veggies, not a scattering of raw veggies. When it comes to eggs, think the number you can hold in one hand, which is likely three or four, not two. Further, when you experience hunger between meals, that is a message to eat more at meals. According to the meal template, you may eat two palm-size portions of protein at each meal. So start thinking in terms of a chicken leg and a chicken breast at a meal to make your hunger go away.

You will eat crap like crackers and marshmallows if you do not fill up on nourishing food. 

Also, look at your hunger cues. Are you truly hungry (could eat plain fish and steamed broccoli)? If so, have a "mini meal" to tide you over to your next meal. Marshmallows and crackers will just wake up your sugar dragon and stop all the hard work you have put in.

If you don't think you could eat fish and broccoli, you probably aren't hungry, just your body trying to get you to eat out of habit, boredom, emotion, etc. have a big glass of water and find something to keep you busy until the desire passes.

Of course this is all after you are eating well by the template :)

Archived